Confirmed with Link: Messier leaves Rangers

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
He wants what Jason Kidd got/has. Handed a HC job based on name alone.

Which Messier was offered when he was 40 at the time he should have retired. Messier has been sitting in an unofficial position within the organization for the past 4 seasons.

He wants to live in NY and coach at the same time. I get it. However he should have taken the Rangers job 11 years ago and the Oilers job last year if he was serious about coaching.

That being said I wish him nothing but the best.

SupersonicMonkey*

Agreed I especially like his references to how we ran into dominant teams. Isn't that the point that we NEVER built that dominant team?

Really? Because the same exact teams that won two Stanley Cups got blown out in two other Finals appearances. Your logic is flawed.

Also, to further combat what you said, those Rangers team that lost to the dominant Bruins team, each loss in the series (save game six) were one goal games. They lost in six games.

The 79 team had no business getting that far begin with. Would have been the equivalent of the Kings being and 8th seed winning the Cup.

The Rangers never built a dominant team? LOL ok, what ever you want to believe.

Question, what did you think of the 1992 team? They lost to the Penguins. Could it be possible a dominant regular season team doesn't win the Cup? The '70s Rangers consisting of Gilbert, Ratelle, Tkaczuk, Hadfield, Giacomin, Villemure, Vickers, Park...they weren't good enough for you? How many hall of fame names are in that group?

Rangers had contending rosters in the '20s, '30s, '40s, '60s, '70s, '90s. And a Cup appearance in 1950.

Either some of you have an unrealistic opinion on success or your privileged. One or the other.

chip chipperson*

We don't know that Sather "approached" him. When you have a spot open within an organisation, people within it should have a chance to apply for the position, of they are qualified (or close to). Even if you don't think they are exactly what you are looking for, it's a way of showing confidence in them.

you are incorrect.

but at least your post was not filled with drivel about a guy that felt he was passed over and left the team professionally. oh yea, that same guy helped deliver the only cup most of us have ever seen. horrible job by the posters in this thread. downright stupid.

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
you are incorrect.

but at least your post was not filled with drivel about a guy that felt he was passed over and left the team professionally. oh yea, that same guy helped deliver the only cup most of us have ever seen. horrible job by the posters in this thread. downright stupid.

he didnt deliver it as a coach did he?

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
you are incorrect.

For a new poster your rude and need to try and fit in better. Stop the scarcasum and grow up.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Eh, he'll be back in some capacity in the next few years. Book it. He's just waiting until Sather retires before he starts being best friends with Dolan again.

Loved him as a player of course but for anyone who follows wrestling or watched Star Trek: TNG, he became a Hulk Hogan/HHH/Patrick Stewart; he had too much of a role in personnel decisions and what happened backstage at the end of his first stint and in his second stint.

As a talent evaluator and tutor; he raved about Brendan Bell from the Spengler Cup and worked on faceoffs with the young centers and neither really went well.

Especially this!

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I personally think Messier would make a better GM than coach. Either way, he moved on to do good things and as some of you have said, he'll probably be back in some form or another in the future.

chip chipperson*

he didnt deliver it as a coach did he?

what is that supposed to be some sort of "gotcha" comment?

the point trueblue, is that this guy did nothing to warrant the idiotic comments in this thread. anything else?

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I'm not sure where Messier fits, but I do think that he is doing the right thing in his own best interest by leaving.

I care about how the Rangers do. I don't see the departure of Mark Messier as anything bad.

Carry on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad