#Melnykout/The Melnyk problem

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
He will still get recognized and still asked for autographs, it's the nature of being one of the top players in the league.

Has absolutely nothing to do with Ottawa.

You're being naive if you think the problem isn't magnified (by a metric ton) in a Canadian market, especially a smaller market like Ottawa where he is THE guy.

I'm not saying he would never get recognized in another market, but the frequency would be infinitesimally less.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
You're being naive if you think the problem isn't magnified (by a metric ton) in a Canadian market, especially a smaller market like Ottawa where he is THE guy.

I'm not saying he would never get recognized in another market, but the frequency would be infinitesimally less.

I'm not naïve at all. I know how it is here, and it's actually not even that bad. I've seen him around town and majority of people won't approach him. There will always be the ones who do, but that is anywhere, and it's especially worse if your a star on the team.

Again, it's why he's paid millions more than the rest of the players.

It's not like if he were in LA he would be able to go to the grocery store any more than he can here.

If Zach Smith goes to LA, then I agree with you 100%

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
You honestly feel he'd get as much attention in LA or New York as he does in Ottawa?

Fairly sure I said he'd get less attention, but it would still be there. He wouldn't magically be able to go out without getting asked for an autograph in any NHL city.

Zibby mentioned it in an interview a few years ago, that while he gets recognized less, he still gets recognized all the time in NY.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Fairly sure I said he'd get less attention, but it would still be there. He wouldn't magically be able to go out without getting asked for an autograph in any NHL city.

Zibby mentioned it in an interview a few years ago, that while he gets recognized less, he still gets recognized all the time in NY.

Ottawa seems to be pretty laid back with star players, so while Sens players get recognized, they can still have a pretty normal day out and about, at least that's how it seems to me.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Whatever the money issue is or isnt,things can not stay the same.....We need a at least a 90 to 100 million dollar budget to compete,this would include front office staff, coaches,players,and swallowing the odd bad contract....Now by no means should we be at this number being a dead last team,but the money has to be there...And EM has to let his people use the money,without interference

well, looking at the current forbes data we had 135 million in revenue in the 16/17 season and 10M in operating profit. So looks like we spent 125M on all the things you are referring to

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
well, looking at the current forbes data we had 135 million in revenue in the 16/17 season and 10M in operating profit. So looks like we spent 125M on all the things you are referring to
You are well aware that Forbes includes servicing of the arena debt in their calculations. Why would you pretend otherwise?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Was he including operating costs for the arena? Those Forbes numbers include estimates of revenue and expenses for the entirety of arena operations, not just Hockey from what I understand.

Idk, the way I read his post, he was just talking about staffing costs, so salaries only and didn't seem to be including arena staff or other support staff. You adding in all expenses. Not sure how he came up with 90 to 100 mil though, seems pretty arbitrary, and I have no clue what we actually spend on that subset of expenses.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Was he including operating costs for the arena? Those Forbes numbers include estimates of revenue and expenses for the entirety of arena operations, not just Hockey from what I understand.

Idk, the way I read his post, he was just talking about staffing costs, so salaries only and didn't seem to be including arena staff or other support staff. You adding in all expenses. Not sure how he came up with 90 to 100 mil though, seems pretty arbitrary, and I have no clue what we actually spend on that subset of expenses.

well the gap between operating expenses at 125 and player salary at 73 is 52. So the 52 is what got spent running the entire operation. Is that out of line with the rest of the league? no.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
well the gap between operating expenses at 125 and player salary at 73 is 52. So the 52 is what got spent running the entire operation. Is that out of line with the rest of the league? no.
Are you suggesting we spend inline with the rest of the league on coaches, and front office? Publicly at least, the team has made comment that we are very much towards the bottom in that regard. Seems an odd thing for them to lie about.

it ould be interesting to see how teams operating expenses minus players compares. I might take a look at that when i have time though i have no idea how Forbes would be able to get that kind of data. For ll we know they use the same number for all teams when there is no public data.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I looked at that 6 months ago when the forbes data was released in November 2017. iirc we were at the top of the bottom 3rd in both revenue and expenses and the expenses were in line with revenue. due to last year's playoff run both revenue and expenses would be higher than the 2017/18 season I presume.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Sorry.I meant a player and head coach/asst budget...Whatever the cap is add 20 mil,this can pay for a head coach,his assistants ..As well as being to rid the team of contracts,that the team needs to

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sorry.I meant a player and head coach/asst budget...Whatever the cap is add 20 mil,this can pay for a head coach,his assistants ..As well as being to rid the team of contracts,that the team needs to
That seems pretty high to me. Not sure many other teams come close to 20 mil a year on coaches and buyouts.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That seems pretty high to me. Not sure many other teams come close to 20 mil a year on coaches and buyouts.
Not saying we should use that much every season,but at least have the funds available to fix the team ,or to enhance a team that is close

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Not saying we should use that much every season,but at least have the funds available to fix the team ,or to enhance a team that is close

Well yeah that makes sense and is logical and is used as a model for the successful teams and all that but goes against how we have always done things here so thanks but no thanks, will stick with the plan of doing notta and assume it will all workout someday.

Reactions: topshelf15

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I mean, technically, they said they were going to audit all aspects of the team, so one could argue that this is just a case of them doing their due diligence, and hires will be made to replace these guys before the next season of scouting commences, but frankly this team has done so much crap that it has lost the benefit of the doubt.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That would be pretty silly of us to do that before the draft when those guys could be bought by other teams for secrets.

But then again Melnyk needs to save a couple grand by firing these two sooner rather than later

I imagine that scouts would have a non-compete clause taking them to after the draft, though I can't be sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad