#Melnykout/The Melnyk problem

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
From Melnyk's point of view there's literally no good reason to even still be owner of the Sens. You aren't making money and you are enormously unpopular with fans. The only good thing is that you can brag to people at parties "hey I own a sports team!"

Another expansion team on the way, legalized gambling in the US, a 400 million dollar TV contract, the longer he sits on this the more money he makes, whether a single fan shows up or not. Obviously that isn't realized until he eventually sells, which he will, but the longer he can hold on, the more it's going to line his pockets.

Obviously it sucks for us because he doesn't care about winning, only cash, but playing the long game makes financial sense.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Another expansion team on the way, legalized gambling in the US, a 400 million dollar TV contract, the longer he sits on this the more money he makes, whether a single fan shows up or not. Obviously that isn't realized until he eventually sells, which he will, but the longer he can hold on, the more it's going to line his pockets.

Obviously it sucks for us because he doesn't care about winning, only cash, but playing the long game makes financial sense.
I haven't kept up with the news around the new arena, but I think I've seen people speculate that he will sell it to new owners when the arena finally arrives.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Anders Osberg
Bobby Strumm
Dan Boeser
Todd Stirling

"If" these reports are true, these guys were part time.

I have no clue how that would happen, no team would sack scouts like that for no reason in March.

Do we know which areas these guys were scouting? And where they amateur or pro scouts?

Iirc, there was a guy responsible for watching the US high school ranks who was responsible for some awful picks over the years...but I think he was already moved somewhere else last year?? Can't quite remember..

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Do we know which areas these guys were scouting? And where they amateur or pro scouts?

Iirc, there was a guy responsible for watching the US high school ranks who was responsible for some awful picks over the years...but I think he was already moved somewhere else last year?? Can't quite remember..

Anders Ostberg - European amateur scout based out of Sweden
Bobby Strumm - WHL/Western Canada amateur scout
Dan Boeser - US Midwest amateur scout [part-time]
Todd Stirling - US Northeast amateur scout [part-time]

Bob Janecyk was a US based scout for the Sens for years but is listed as a European scout on the terribly outdated Sens website. I'm kind of inclined to believe that this is simply a mistake on the site rather than a guy of his age just packing up his life to go scout in Europe. Who knows though.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Anders Ostberg - European amateur scout based out of Sweden
Bobby Strumm - WHL/Western Canada amateur scout
Dan Boeser - US Midwest amateur scout [part-time]
Todd Stirling - US Northeast amateur scout [part-time]

Bob Janecyk was a US based scout for the Sens for years but is listed as a European scout on the terribly outdated Sens website. I'm kind of inclined to believe that this is simply a mistake on the site rather than a guy of his age just packing up his life to go scout in Europe. Who knows though.
No, Janecyk was the guy in charge of the obscure US picks (Gendron/Boyle/Shore/Leblanc/Burgess) and would have had input on Dzingle/McCormick/Eiserman/Wolanin/Baillargeron. He is assuredly the guy in charge of drafting Daccord, out of US high school and being a former goalie himself. He was removed and put into a role as a European Pro scout. Boeser and Stirling took some of his old stomping ground in the U.S as part time scouts.

He had a very, very bad track record, especially how high some of the guys were taken (Boyle/Burgess/etc.), not sure why he is still with the team.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
...not sure why he is still with the team.

I think with this owner it's pretty simple, he's likely very cheap and since he's bad at his job, no one is trying to steal him away either thus keeping his salary demands down.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
No, Janecyk was the guy in charge of the obscure US picks (Gendron/Boyle/Shore/Leblanc/Burgess) and would have had input on Dzingle/McCormick/Eiserman/Wolanin/Baillargeron. He is assuredly the guy in charge of drafting Daccord, out of US high school and being a former goalie himself. He was removed and put into a role as a European Pro scout. Boeser and Stirling took some of his old stomping ground in the U.S as part time scouts.

He had a very, very bad track record, especially how high some of the guys were taken (Boyle/Burgess/etc.), not sure why he is still with the team.

This seems absurd to me - they have no faith that he can do a competent job so just shuttle him out of the way to Europe? Why not just fire him and get somebody else? Wild. I guess I know why the Sens never sign European free agents now.

Also, it looks like the Sens literally just updated the scout section of their website a few hours ago. Based on the archived version of the site from two days ago it looks like the two scout that were turfed are Jimmy Blixt [European amateur scout] and Justin Murray.

So RIP to the scouting career of our very own backdoorpass I guess.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This seems absurd to me - they have no faith that he can do a competent job so just shuttle him out of the way to Europe? Why not just fire him and get somebody else? Wild. I guess I know why the Sens never sign European free agents now.

Also, it looks like the Sens literally just updated the scout section of their website a few hours ago. Based on the archived version of the site from two days ago it looks like the two scout that were turfed are Jimmy Blixt [European amateur scout] and Justin Murray.

So RIP to the scouting career of our very own backdoorpass I guess.
Unfortunate, he did a pretty good job out of the Q.

So we lost a guy out of Europe and a guy out of the OHL/QMJHL. Melnyk and Dorion really showing that some will fall for anything that comes out of their mouth, improve our drafting and development by canning 2 of our already short staff months before the draft. Nothing they said should be believed.

*Assuming this wasn't on their own terms

Nice to see we are doubling down on our NCAA Recruitment coordinator as well making him a Pro scout at the same time :laugh: (after being an Assistant coach in Bingo for 7 seasons)

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
So here's what we've got on the amateur side:

Trent Mann - Quebec/Maritimes [Chief scout]
Don Boyd - Ontario
George Fargher - Western Canada
Bobby Strumm - Western Canada
Todd Stirling - US Northeast [part-time]
Dan Boeser - US Midwest [part-time]
Mikko Ruutu - Europe, based from Finland [European chief scout]
Anders Ostberg - Europe, based from Sweden

Some of those guys cross over into other regions, but still - that has to be as thin as an amateur scouting staff gets. No wonder Dorion spends so much time away from the team scouting - he has no choice.

It's a minor miracle that we get anything at all out of the draft.

Last edited:

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
So here's what we've got on the amateur side:

Trent Mann - Quebec/Maritimes
Don Boyd - Ontario
George Fargher - Western Canada
Bobby Strumm - Western Canada
Todd Stirling - US Northeast [part-time]
Dan Boeser - US Midwest [part-time]
Mikko Ruutu - Europe, based from Finland
Anders Ostberg - Europe, based from Sweden

Some of those guys cross over into other regions, but still - that has to be as thin as an amateur scouting staff gets. No wonder Dorion spends so much time away from the team scouting - he has no choice.

They probably use all the public draft rankings and cross their fingers the picks work out. Or when in doubt, pick the local guy.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

About Eighteen Ottawa draft picks, in the last 10 years, are either currently still on the NHL Roster, or were called up from Belleville, and played games with the Senators this past season.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
About Eighteen Ottawa draft picks, in the last 10 years, are either currently still on the NHL Roster, or were called up from Belleville, and played games with the Senators this past season.
Taken in a vacuum, that stat could speak to NHL readiness of prospects, a lack of top-end talent, or a lack of depth in the organization altogether.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

All makes sense and that is exactly what I to believe is happening here, the issue I can see is that the more owners that operate this way combined with the more fans who understand this could cause a massive collapse for the league, pro sports in regards to ownership and profits etc... were always seen as a complete different animal compared to a regular profit driven business, that seems to be rapidly changing these days.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They probably use all the public draft rankings and cross their fingers the picks work out. Or when in doubt, pick the local guy.

Some of these guys watch 200+ games a year and have made some fantastic pics. So no your theory is unsubstantiated.

Some pretty big losses from the scouting dept, atleast if the owner is going to be cheap he should not be cheaping out on scouting its the least expensive way to improve the team. But alas the owner is a man with zero ability to make a correct decision.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Was already done, he as moved to Eurpe as a pro scout
Yeah, just saw your post above. Should’ve just fired him for his poor performance. A clean sweep of management is needed. Noticed that Steve Stirling was moved from our assistant coach in the AHL to NCAA recruitment coordinator as well.

Also saw on twitter that Jimmy Blixt left on his own accord back in February.

Last edited:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
1313611.jpg

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

All that can be factored in the sale price.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sterling could have been moved for health reasons, he isn't getting any younger & he did have heart problems a few yrs ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->