#Melnykout/The Melnyk problem

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I mean, technically, they said they were going to audit all aspects of the team, so one could argue that this is just a case of them doing their due diligence, and hires will be made to replace these guys before the next season of scouting commences, but frankly this team has done so much crap that it has lost the benefit of the doubt.

Exactly, they have yet to replace Alfie's position, Bryan Murray's position, Pierre Dorion's AGM position, Tom Anselmi position etc.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

giphy.gif

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Exactly, they have yet to replace Alfie's position, Bryan Murray's position, Pierre Dorion's AGM position, Tom Anselmi position etc.

To be fair, Alfredsson's and Murray's positions were created solely for them; these weren't permanent positions that they went through a rigorous hiring process to get, they were one offs. It would be odd to replace Alfredsson when the position only existed in order to groom him specifically for a future in management. Once he was no longer available, it makes more sense to hire externally when a need exists to fill whatever position we were grooming Alfredsson for. Likewise, Murray's role as advisor wasn't about filling an existing position as much as finding a way to keep him specifically with the "family". He wasn't going to work for another team, and we weren't going to hire somebody if not for him into that role.

Pierre Dorion's AGM position was essentially one position divided in two when Murray was diagnosed with Cancer. He and Lee were given a share of that position, so him getting the GM role meant the AGM role returned to it's previous state. Again, circumstance created a temporary position.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't really buy 6th sens as an insider and he's probably the most negative sens twitter account out there. Ill believe this when I see some actual media reporting on it.
For what it's worth, I heard similar stories albeit unconfirmed, about a month ago. I don't doubt this is true.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I don't really buy 6th sens as an insider and he's probably the most negative sens twitter account out there. Ill believe this when I see some actual media reporting on it.

If you are waiting on the media to report it, I have news for you, its not happening. The media has blocked the fanbase from basically all anti-Melnyk info for years now. The only reason any of this #MelnykOut stuff got started was because of guys like 6th Sens.

Let the Ottawa media continue to pull the rug over your eyes and ears, this franchise will be ran to the ground very soon. Any member of the Ottawa media who continues to treat this fanbase the way they are should be ashamed of themselves.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
If you are waiting on the media to report it, I have news for you, its not happening. The media has blocked the fanbase from basically all anti-Melnyk info for years now. The only reason any of this #MelnykOut stuff got started was because of guys like 6th Sens.

Let the Ottawa media continue to pull the rug over your eyes and ears, this franchise will be ran to the ground very soon. Any member of the Ottawa media who continues to treat this fanbase the way they are should be ashamed of themselves.
I didn't write that as a pro-melnyk post, I just don't believe anything 6th sens says, no one on sens twitter seems to hate the team more than him. Sens media would definitely report on two scouts getting fired before the draft.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
For what it's worth, I heard similar stories albeit unconfirmed, about a month ago. I don't doubt this is true.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that we would pay 2 scouts to work for us for the entire year, and then proceed to fire them before the draft has even happened...

But then again, this is the Senators franchise of 2018, and anything is possible at this point I'd say...

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I didn't write that as a pro-melnyk post, I just don't believe anything 6th sens says, no one on sens twitter seems to hate the team more than him. Sens media would definitely report on two scouts getting fired before the draft.

No they wouldn't, they barely covered the MelnykOut signs, they are too busy with shitty radio contests and Bruce is waiting for his next fluff piece approval from the organization.

What the hell does the 6THSens have anything to gain by "making" this rumor up. I am sure he will be making a killing in his blog views the next time he writes something.

Reactions: Bean Drown

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It makes absolutely no sense to me that we would pay 2 scouts to work for us for the entire year, and then proceed to fire them before the draft has even happened...

But then again, this is the Senators franchise of 2018, and anything is possible at this point I'd say...
Why does it not make sense? They'd have already provided their scouting reports, and done the grunt work. We didn't fire Mann and Ruutu, in all likelihood it was foot soldiers not decision makers. How much input from this point on do would they really have had? It's a Dick move, no doubt, but that seems to be par for the course on the management side these days.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Sens media would definitely report on two scouts getting fired before the draft.

Sens media will never report on this. Too busy shining Melnyk's shoes to report any negative press on the organization.

Also, hate on 6th Sens all you want, but some people think enough of him to have hired him to write for the Athletic.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
So I checked the scouting lists for some of the other teams.
Top 3 revenue teams TML, MTL, NYR, 3 bottom teams BUF, CAR, ARI, also the rest of the Atlantic

TML = 23 Scouts
MTL = 22 Scouts
NYR = 20 Scouts

ARI = 16 Scouts
CAR = 16 Scouts

BOS = 18 Scouts
DET = 18 Scouts
TBL = 15 Scouts
BUF = 19 Scouts

OTT and FLA = 11 Scouts

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Top 3 revenue teams TML, MTL, NYR, 3 bottom teams BUF, CAR, ARI, also the rest of the Atlantic

TML = 23 Scouts
MTL = 22 Scouts
NYR = 20 Scouts

ARI = 16 Scouts
CAR = 16 Scouts

BOS = 18 Scouts
DET = 18 Scouts
TBL = 15 Scouts
BUF = 19 Scouts

OTT and FLA = 11 Scouts

And if the report is true, we now are down to 9 scouts.

Nothing like a renewed commitment to drafting and scouting.

Last edited:

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

TML = 23 Scouts
MTL = 22 Scouts
NYR = 20 Scouts

ARI = 16 Scouts
CAR = 16 Scouts

BOS = 18 Scouts
DET = 18 Scouts
TBL = 15 Scouts
BUF = 19 Scouts

OTT and FLA = 11 Scouts
Don’t worry, Melnyk will just blame this on fans not showing up to games, even if the math doesn’t work.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And if the report is true, we now are down to 9 scouts.

Nothing like a renewed commitment to drafting and scouting.
The team website was out of date last time somebody was looking into relative scouting staff sizes. I know @BondraTime knew of a couple current (or possibly now fired, idk) scouts that were missing from the team site, so I wouldn't take it as fact that we are down to 9.

Still disappointing that after talking about refocusing on drafting and developing, we're cutting back on our scouts

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Brennan going against the team isn't anything new. If anything, it's more of the same.

He's been ripping on the organization ever since we drafted Marian Hossa instead of Matt Zultek.

It was Chris Stevenson that wrote the Hossa Who article and wanted Zultek. He and the Dandyman at the time were full-on hating on Hossa.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The team website was out of date last time somebody was looking into relative scouting staff sizes. I know @BondraTime knew of a couple current (or possibly now fired, idk) scouts that were missing from the team site, so I wouldn't take it as fact that we are down to 9.

Still disappointing that after talking about refocusing on drafting and developing, we're cutting back on our scouts
Anders Osberg
Bobby Strumm
Dan Boeser
Todd Stirling

"If" these reports are true, these guys were part time.

I have no clue how that would happen, no team would sack scouts like that for no reason in March.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Anders Osberg
Bobby Strumm
Dan Boeser
Todd Stirling

"If" these reports are true, these guys were part time.

I have no clue how that would happen, no team would sack scouts like that for no reason in March.
What team would move on from it's President mid season and mid mega development project that he specifically hired to run?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What team would move on from it's President mid season and mid mega development project that he specifically hired to run?
I know this team is Micky Mouse, I'm just stating that firing a Scout in the middle of a season doesn't make much/any sense whatsoever. It doesn't sound like a mutual parting ALA Mark Hunter, where he has a provision worked in where he is unable to talk to or join other teams until after the draft and free agency.

I highly doubt those Scouts (should they actually have been fired as is being reported) would be worried about talking anything draft related with anyone else who would listen. If it's True, it's almost certainly Stirling and Boeser

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
It's a very strange time of year to turf an amateur scout. You pay them all year to watch games and file reports and then fire them before you even finalize your draft list? The combine hasn't even happened yet! The real work is still yet to be done.

It might make some sense if they were guys on the pro scouting side. That department is in need of a complete overhaul anyway.

Reactions: Deku

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Why does it not make sense? They'd have already provided their scouting reports, and done the grunt work. We didn't fire Mann and Ruutu, in all likelihood it was foot soldiers not decision makers. How much input from this point on do would they really have had? It's a Dick move, no doubt, but that seems to be par for the course on the management side these days.

Ummm it makes zero sense because the team is still like, finalizing their draft list ya know?

They have these big round table meetings after the combine and throw ideas around until the settle. Yes I understand that the reports have already been filed... but surely you would see the benefit to having that individual around to add weight to those reports when it comes to finalizing the team's draft list.

Do you see any of those unmanned reports swaying somebody sitting at the table over a kid that they like more? Seems like a waste of resources to begin with to me if this was actually the plan..

As a manager at work I've learned that a lot of great ideas get put aside in favor of much worse ones that are being championed by people with the loudest voices. This is one of those times that I would want to make sure that I'm getting everyone's opinion before making a decision..

I mean, how much actual salary are we talking about to keep those guys on until after the draft? $15-25K, maybe less?

Oh well, budget teams are gonna budget I guess....

Last edited:
Reactions: BondraTime

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
From Melnyk's point of view there's literally no good reason to even still be owner of the Sens. You aren't making money and you are enormously unpopular with fans. The only good thing is that you can brag to people at parties "hey I own a sports team!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad