#Melnykout/The Melnyk problem

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Unfortunate, he did a pretty good job out of the Q.

So we lost a guy out of Europe and a guy out of the OHL/QMJHL. Melnyk and Dorion really showing that some will fall for anything that comes out of their mouth, improve our drafting and development by canning 2 of our already short staff months before the draft. Nothing they said should be believed.

*Assuming this wasn't on their own terms

Nice to see we are doubling down on our NCAA Recruitment coordinator as well making him a Pro scout at the same time :laugh: (after being an Assistant coach in Bingo for 7 seasons)

I agree that the optics are not good, given the PR spiel about the new strategy of getting better through the draft and development; however, letting two scouts go is not a good reason to draw a conclusion about the veracity of their comments or the commitment to getting better through the draft and development. I agree with the strategy and am willing to wait a while before calling them out. The team may have some new scouts joining the organization in the future. Only time will tell the story.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I agree that the optics are not good, given the PR spiel about the new strategy of getting better through the draft and development; however, letting two scouts go is not a good reason to draw a conclusion about the veracity of their comments or the commitment to getting better through the draft and development. I agree with the strategy and am willing to wait a while before calling them out. The team may have some new scouts joining the organization in the future. Only time will tell the story.

Melnyck needs a PR victory, this move just further causes confusion and is contradictory scouting move to the organization new philosophy of scouting and developing.

Melnyck is having a horrible go of it. He’s not a good owner that’s not up for debate anymore, whether he is a competent owner is the new question

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I haven't kept up with the news around the new arena, but I think I've seen people speculate that he will sell it to new owners when the arena finally arrives.

If by "people" you mean posters in these threads, then it's just wishful thinking on their part, as they've not come to grips with the reality of an owner who has publicly stated that he has zero intention of selling the Senators, and has made it clear that if that day does come, his Daughter has first dibs.

It's been pretty quiet on the RLB and NCC negotiating front for while, which is good IMO.

The last I heard is that the NCC is targeting a LeBreton master development agreement with RLB, by the end of this year, and that RLB is working on environmental studies, while the NCC is in talks with First Nation leaders.

Mark Kristmanson, the CEO of the NCC, was asked about a month ago about RLBs concerns about the housing/condo market around LeBreton, and said RLB can "alter their blueprint according to market conditions as an agreement on the master development plan nears".

Kristmanson also said “We’ll have our ups and downs on this process, but so far, so good, I’m not dismayed.

When Melnyk and his partners in the RLB group made the commitment, years ago, to bid for LeBreton Flats, they were in it to win it, and had the backing from the NHL as they all knew the logic in re-locating the Franchise to a downtown Arena.

That train of thought is the same today, as it was at the beginning of the bidding process, and if that logic had changed, negotiations wouldn’t be continuing as they are today.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If by "people" you mean posters in these threads, then it's just wishful thinking on their part, as they've not come to grips with the reality of an owner who has publicly stated that he has zero intention of selling the Senators, and has made it clear that if that day does come, his Daughter has first dibs.

It's been pretty quiet on the RLB and NCC negotiating front for while, which is good IMO.

The last I heard is that the NCC is targeting a LeBreton master development agreement with RLB, by the end of this year, and that RLB is working on environmental studies, while the NCC is in talks with First Nation leaders.

Mark Kristmanson, the CEO of the NCC, was asked about a month ago about RLBs concerns about the housing/condo market around LeBreton, and said RLB can "alter their blueprint according to market conditions as an agreement on the master development plan nears".

Kristmanson also said “We’ll have our ups and downs on this process, but so far, so good, I’m not dismayed.

By ‘’people’’ (hilarious you use quotes on this) you can include the entire national media in November talking about Melnyck selling.

But thanks for the pro-Melnyck talking points. You are a “person” who definetly deserves to have a favourite Melnyck losing horse named after you.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
By ‘’people’’ (hilarious you use quotes on this) you can include the entire national media in November talking about Melnyck selling.

But thanks for the pro-Melnyck talking points. You are a “person” who definetly deserves to have a favourite Melnyck losing horse named after you.

Melnyk was asked about rumours about selling the Senators in December (NOT November) to which he replied, as he always has when asked, that he is NOT selling the Senators.

The sooner you come to grips with the reality of this situation, the sooner you can focus your energy into something that might make a difference.

http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/...tors-owner-melynk-not-selling-the-team-period

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

When Melnyk and his partners in the RLB group made the commitment, years ago, to bid for LeBreton Flats, they were in it to win it, and had the backing from the NHL as they all knew the logic in re-locating the Franchise to a downtown Arena.

That train of thought is the same today, as it was at the beginning of the bidding process, and if that logic had changed, negotiations wouldn’t be continuing as they are today.

Except the part where Melnyk was walking back on whether or not it's a good idea to move from Lebreton, and whether it's a great idea to build condos in the current market.

The problem is Melnyk might be saying these things to create leverage in negotiations, or he might just be airing out dirty laundry in the public for no reason, we don't know, but if you're going to take him at his word about not selling solely because that's what he said, take him equally serious when he talks about being hesitant about leaving Kanata years into this bid.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Dumb question but how would that even work?Wouldn't his daughter have way less money than him, even with inheritance?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Melnyk was asked about rumours about selling the Senators in December (NOT November) to which he replied, as he always has when asked, that he is NOT selling the Senators.

Since when is Melnyk's word worth anything?

Entertainment purveyors have been lying to the press and public in order to make a buck since PT Barnum. Like... We're talking about a tried and true PR strategy that has worked for over 150 years, here. This is nothing new.

Your unwavering faith in millionaires and billionaires to tell the truth about the intimate functions of their business at all times, especially when it hurts them financially, is quite remarkable.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
One thing that stuck out from the town hall meetings was Melnyk's audacity to poke fun at other franchises. Pretty much made fun of the fact that Anaheim was giving away free popcorn for fans to watch games after they won the Cup.

Welp, which franchise is the one able to retain their franchise players Eugene? Which franchise doesn't have former players bashing their owner?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Everyone saw that tweet about Alfie wishing we had a new owner, right?

Obviously, I know there's a whole thread about it already. I juat figured it was big enough news that it warranted mention here, for the sake of posterity.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Everyone saw that tweet about Alfie wishing we had a new owner, right?

Obviously, I know there's a whole thread about it already. I juat figured it was big enough news that it warranted mention here, for the sake of posterity.
Maybe the quote can be used on the next round of billboards once the Sens lowball and then trade EK.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dumb question but how would that even work?Wouldn't his daughter have way less money than him, even with inheritance?

Melnyk has a couple of dughters, who presumably would split any inheritance. No idea as to whether they would be in any better or worse position,

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but it appears as though the guy who was the Sens Director of ticketing for the past 10 years or so, Chris Attack, has also left the organization as well to pursue the exact same opportunity with OSEG. Maybe he is just looking for a new challenge, but this reeks of another Melnyk cuts or someone who has endured more than enough of a certain team President

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Just posted on another thread,anybody else feel the league has been very quiet on this front????

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Melnyk has a couple of dughters, who presumably would split any inheritance. No idea as to whether they would be in any better or worse position,

It's funny how people talk about Melnyk's daughter's like they're some high-ambition Ivanka Trump types. One goes to University for dance, the other (based on social media) is focused on throwing parties at her sorority.

If they're taking over the team, you might as well fold it.

I'm sure they'd rather the ~$500 million they'd get for selling.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Is this even news in the mainstream media? Didn't find good ol' boyz from Postmedia even mentioning this today.
No I agree this tidbit isnt anything nobody already knew,its the general billboards and EM flip flopping on a arena deal that obviously the league want to move forward stuff...That they havent said a peep about that seems a little unusual....Who knows though

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's funny how people talk about Melnyk's daughter's like they're some high-ambition Ivanka Trump types. One goes to University for dance, the other (based on social media) is focused on throwing parties at her sorority.

If they're taking over the team, you might as well fold it.

I'm sure they'd rather the ~$500 million they'd get for selling.

I think a realistic scenario (with them) is retaining an interest in the team, but selling off the controlling portion; that way they continue to get the benefit of an appreciating asset along with the prestige of being a franchise owner (likely comes with a nice box seat for all the concerts and games) but limited role otherwise.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Just posted on another thread,anybody else feel the league has been very quiet on this front????

Lots of people have been extremely quiet in all of this. Really tough to believe that something isn't up.

TSN and Sportsnet seem to have taken the owner in Carolina to task on numerous occasions already, yet not a peep on Melnyk until now. Yes, the billboards have been mentioned, but more or less always mentioned as a joke (which they weren't).

Something is and has been brewing for awhile in my opinion.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Lots of people have been extremely quiet in all of this. Really tough to believe that something isn't up.

TSN and Sportsnet seem to have taken the owner in Carolina to task on numerous occasions already, yet not a peep on Melnyk until now. Yes, the billboards have been mentioned, but more or less always mentioned as a joke (which they weren't).

Something is and has been brewing for awhile in my opinion.
Iam of the belief that the league wants him out TBH...They cant be happy with how things have been going..And them saying nothing maybe the loudest voice for this team

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00