Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Holy **** eh.

That's one of those quotes that really indicts his way of thinking.

It doesn't make any business sense, which shoots some holes in the claims that he is an astute successful businessman.

I'm sure he would claim the quote is being taken out of context, he is saying the market has proven itself, it just hasnt proven that it is worth investing any more capital into it, but he has further than that, claiming its a long term losing investment, but we know the franchise has increased substantially in value... and if it's so bad a long term investment.. why do you keep holding? It's all so mangled.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
How is this a bad thing? The teams wouldn't exist without the supporters. Most owners understand this. Compare and contrast:

Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon:
"If we don't sell more tickets, it's not the fans' fault — it's our fault," Dundon said. "Clearly, this is a winning town, this is a winning place with a team that is ready to win. ... They'll come when we give them a reason to come."

Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk:
“I think the market here has to prove itself, otherwise you do have to make changes,” Melnyk said. “We’ve cut everything to the bone in the organization and we are probably one of the thinnest management groups that you have in the league now. The next place that you have to look at is players.”

Nice comparison.

Plus as fans, we don't really give a shit about owners, I know I don't, unless you're some absolutely beloved person in the community known for things other than owning a sports franchise. All we care about is you investing to make a hockey team a winner. We care about the actual players playing the game, and a hockey league could actually be run perfectly fine without have any owners at all, theoretically.

Uncle Nilly

Mar 20, 2018
Are the root causes really Melnyk though? It could be coaching. It could be perhaps he just doesn't want to live in Ottawa anymore? The fans are assuming way too much. The boiling point of this issue is Karlsson staying with the team.

Uncle Nilly

Mar 20, 2018
Why does the author get to decide what the campaign should be, did he create it?? The hashtag #MelnykOut was created waaaaay before any of the "Trade Karlsson" nonsense.

The author not trying to say that, they are saying that instead of focusing on this negative cloud over Melnyk and the ownership situation, why not have a positive approach to a tough situation and put efforts into convincing Karlsson to stay.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Are the root causes really Melnyk though? It could be coaching. It could be perhaps he just doesn't want to live in Ottawa anymore? The fans are assuming way too much. The boiling point of this issue is Karlsson staying with the team.
The boiling point for many – not all – was the scuttlebutt about a Karlsson trade. The fact that Ryan is being lumped into the trade to get rid of his contract is pretty well all the evidence needed to confirm there are money issues with Melnyk. He's cutting staff, cutting salary, and including an albatross of a contract to diminish the return on a generational player.

Make no mistake – the root cause of issues in the organization is Melnyk.

And I see where you're going with this – maybe it's possible EK doesn't want to stay and is just paying lip service to the media. That's a real possibility. But whether that's true or not, it doesn't alter Melnyk's role in nickel-and-diming the organization to death one bit.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The author not trying to say that, they are saying that instead of focusing on this negative cloud over Melnyk and the ownership situation, why not have a positive approach to a tough situation and put efforts into convincing Karlsson to stay.

Then maybe you or him should start another campaign??

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
First of all, by suggesting this you are mocking the attention legitimate ribbon campaigns try to generate about serious issues like cancer, aids, teen suicide, homophobia, school shootings, etc. Secondly, Nobody likes any of the things I just listed, but you don't see everyone walking around covered in ribbons.

On pink shirt day, did you wear one? If not, does that mean you support bullying? Am I only against bullying on the days I wear a pink shirt? I am for it on days I don't?

Do you mean like those of us who don't jump on the hate and blame Melnyk bandwagon, are therefore happy with Melnyk and see him as blameless?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
What's funny about the looming Karlsson trade is that I think most Senators' fans would be reasonable to some degree if Dorion came out, said that the team was not going to win in its current incarnation, had to rebuild, and was looking to gain some positive assets in return for its superstar player.

But when it came out that Ryan HAD to be packaged along with Karlsson, the fans rightly were pretty miffed at the idea that the future of its franchise in terms of the return was being compromised due to short-term cost savings.

Do you think that perhaps Ryan being added to the rumoured deal, after the fact, was maybe a poison pill to make sure a deal could not consummated at the TDD?

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Do you mean like those of us who don't jump on the hate and blame Melnyk bandwagon, are therefore happy with Melnyk and see him as blameless?
No. We see those of you who don’t jump on the hate and blame Melnyk bandwagon and regularly defend every single one of his actions in his management style, are therefore happy with Melnyk and see him as blameless.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Do you think that perhaps Ryan being added to the rumoured deal, after the fact, was maybe a poison pill to make sure a deal could not consummated at the TDD?

I just asked this to my favourite childhood toy, Stretch Armstrong, and he said, "Damn son, even I cant stretch something that far."

So no. I don't think that happened at all, ever.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So there exists no hypothetical scenario where the fans acting in unison could force Melynk out?

What if the entire fanbase decided to not purchase tickets
?
How long would Melnyk own the team if all the fans refused to spend a dime on tickets/merchandise?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I really don't think the conversation should be about re-signing Karlsson. That's a symptom, not the cause. The conversation should be about addressing the root causes that lead to the team considering not signing Karlsson.

When Karlsson said that if he were to become an UFA, that he'd be seeking "Market Value"............ could that be considered one of the root causes?

A lot of people just assume that Melnyk and Leeder (a few seasons ago) are lying when they claim the Senators Franchise is not as profitable when they don't make the playoffs, and then there is the accumulated debt was gets carried forward to profitable seasons............. but did anyone consider they might be telling us the truth........... and could that be one of the root causes?

Do we know 100% for sure that EK65 is fully recovered from his latest injury/surgery, and if he's not, wouldn't the team doctor(s) know a lot more than anyone, and could his medical prognoses going forward, also be one of the root causes?

I'm not saying these are any, or all of the root causes, just asking if they could be.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Who exactly, in this hypothetical situation, is Dorion trying to deceive into believing that he legitimately wanted to trade Karlsson? To what end does convincing the world that the team is serious about selling off their star player under the worst of conditions benefit the team? Is it just a practical joke for the lols?

I mean, you're pissing off the fans, your star player, and all the other GMs... that's a lot of burnt bridges.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
When Karlsson said that if he were to become an UFA, that he'd be seeking "Market Value"............ could that be considered one of the root causes?

A lot of people just assume that Melnyk and Leeder (a few seasons ago) are lying when they claim the Senators Franchise is not as profitable when they don't make the playoffs, and then there is the accumulated debt was gets carried forward to profitable seasons............. but did anyone consider they might be telling us the truth........... and could that be one of the root causes?

Do we know 100% for sure that EK65 is fully recovered from his latest injury/surgery, and if he's not, wouldn't the team doctor(s) know a lot more than anyone, and could his medical prognoses going forward, also be one of the root causes?

I'm not saying these are any, or all of the root causes, just asking if they could be.
I think you're missing the point – possibly deliberately. This conversation is not about Karlsson. It's about Melnyk. If Erik decides he wants to move on to greener pastures, that's a separate conversation. It doesn't change the fact that Melnyk's business decisions are eating the organization from the inside out and turning it into a laughingstock and a shade of its once great former self.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

If paying your players market value is a problem, then the problems go deeper than that.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm not sure if any convincing is actually necessary. Pay him market value, and I imagine he will re-sign. He's said before, his wife and her life is here, and he will always live in Ottawa at least some parts of the year if he ever get traded.. that doesn't sound like a guy who would be that tough to re-sign. And if he truly doesn't, it is 100% management and ownership's fault to make him feel that way, because IMO he likes Ottawa just fine.

I'm sure some (albeit negative) billboards aren't going to want to make EK leave. And I hope to god that Melnyk isn't petty enough to "get back at the fans" by vindictively trading him.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If, for argument's sake, that were the case and the org didn't want a deal to materialize... why even float the notion that EK is available?

Should PD not consider ALL options before submitting a contract extension to Karlsson on July 1st?

Some people (here) are stating that PD was "shopping" EK65, but PD said he answers all calls on all players .......... so if the re-signing of EK65 is going to be the biggest move in this Franchise's foreseeable future, is in not wise to at least explore all options?

There are Hab fans that are questioning the logic in letting Carey Price's contract kick in on July 1st, given his injury history over the past season, and shouldn't PD also consider EK65's health as well?

PD and EK65 have both publicly stated that keeping EK65 a Senator is their first choice.......... and that's what they should be saying, but we know that EK65 and his agent are keen to get a market value contract extension, and PD is tasked with getting him signed to a contract that the Franchise can work with.......... there is a deal that can be reached, if both parties are looking at the bigger picture.

None of us know what PD and EK65 have talked about in private, in PD office, over the past few months, but I'm pretty sure they know which direction things are going to proceed.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
So there exists no hypothetical scenario where the fans acting in unison could force Melynk out?

What if the entire fanbase decided to not purchase tickets?
How long would Melnyk own the team if all the fans refused to spend a dime on tickets/merchandise?

So, sort of like last year's playoffs?

1328554698663.jpg

Sorry.

Reactions: coladin

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If paying your players market value is a problem, then the problems go deeper than that.

Then perhaps the statements about the financial viability of the Franchise, in Kanata, made by the owner, have some validity to then?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Should PD not consider ALL options before submitting a contract extension to Karlsson on July 1st?

Some people (here) are stating that PD was "shopping" EK65, but PD said he answers all calls on all players .......... so if the re-signing of EK65 is going to be the biggest move in this Franchise's foreseeable future, is in not wise to at least explore all options?

There are Hab fans that are questioning the logic in letting Carey Price's contract kick in on July 1st, given his injury history over the past season, and shouldn't PD also consider EK65's health as well?

PD and EK65 have both publicly stated that keeping EK65 a Senator is their first choice.......... and that's what they should be saying, but we know that EK65 and his agent are keen to get a market value contract extension, and PD is tasked with getting him signed to a contract that the Franchise can work with.......... there is a deal that can be reached, if both parties are looking at the bigger picture.

None of us know what PD and EK65 have talked about in private, in PD office, over the past few months, but I'm pretty sure they know which direction things are going to proceed.

Ok. But your not considering all options when you let it be known that all offers have to include taking Ryan's contract. That's something that was reported very early in the process and would have scared off potential suitors altogether. It's also not something that needs to be done to refuse the trade options. There is really no clear benefit to adding Ryan as a poison pill as you suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad