Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Forbes numbers show the value of the Senators, not profit or losses per season.

Cyril Leeder went on the record, a number of times, stating that the Senators lost $94 million in the first ten years (2003-13) since Melnyk bought the team.

In Melnyk’s first ten years of owning the Senators franchise, in an interview with the Citizen, Cyril Leeder claimed the Senators Franchise had only generated about $6 million on operations..........................that is, total revenues minus the costs associated with paying and moving the players, advertising and managing the arena.

Forbes numbers just show the value, and like the value of my house, I can only borrow against it, not claim it a profit.

To be clear, Forbes has estimates on far more than just the teams valuation; they use estimates on revenue, operating income, and a host of other things to come up with their valuations.

Now, for the Sens to have lost the 94 mil over 10 year to make any sense, I suspect they would be ignoring any of the arena's profits, which while perfectly legal, and accurate, is entirely disingenuous if the point you're trying to make is you've lost a bunch of money as a result of owning the sens, since they are a package deal and he wouldn't have one without the other.

All this, of course, has already been pointed out ad nauseum, but here we are I guess...

What is fair to say though, is that the operating income is not profit (JD1 has correctly pointed this out, again, ad nauseum), as interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization aren't included. So, while Forbes estimates something like 80 mil over the last 10 years in operating income (for the team and arena combined), the actual profit would likely be less (I suppose it could be more if the team invested in bitcoin back in 2009 or something).

Reactions: BondraTime

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Glad to see the signs go up, but did not contribute. Saving my time and energy for the real campaign that will start the moment EK is traded.

If they are stupid enough to trade our generational player, I hope they attach Ryan's contract to the deal. That will make getting people on board for the real protests to follow a cakewalk.
Ya, I'm kind of a fringe Melnyk hater. If they trade EK I'll be furious, but if they staple Ryan to the EK trade, that'll be the trigger for me to go full hate-on.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ya, I'm kind of a fringe Melnyk hater. If they trade EK I'll be furious, but if they staple Ryan to the EK trade, that'll be the trigger for me to go full hate-on.

I think this will be the case for a lot of fans.

It's one thing to trade Karlsson for futures and commit 100% to a rebuild. It's another thing entirely to use equity in a hypothetical Karlsson deal to shed salary by dumpimg a bad contract that won't matter in a rebuild (since we won't be a cap team) and limit the return you could get for the best defenceman in the league.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
There is difference between wanting #MelnykOut and thinking a social media campaign and billboards are going to actually make him leave.

Just like there is a difference between not supporting billboards and supporting melnyk.

I think we are essentially saying the same thing.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Are any of you considering the possibility that Karlssson has no intention of resigning? If he walks July 2019, all of the same blowhards are going to be yelling "what a stupid owner we have...what an idiot GM we have...they didn't trade Karlsson when they could have."

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Are any of you considering the possibility that Karlssson has no intention of resigning? If he walks July 2019, all of the same blowhards are going to be yelling "what a stupid owner we have...what an idiot GM we have...they didn't trade Karlsson when they could have."

I'm not willing to trade Karlsson pre emptively. Until there is actual reason to believe he doesn't want to be here anymore you need to keep him.

I'd rather wait until July 1 this year. If Karlsson doesn't sign an extension , then the fan base will understand a trade AND management will have regained at least some of the narrative by his actions.

His value still doesn't decrease as a trade and sign. He's Erik Karlsson.

I also had to stop myself from simply replying " no oh wow that never crossed our minds wow jeez thanks."

I'm all fired up again

Last edited:

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011

The only reason Karlsson wouldn’t want to re-sign here is Melnyk. So it’ll still be because of the idiot owner.

Reactions: Bileur

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

To be fair, if Karlsson has no intent of re-signing, the reason the owner and GM would be stupid is for creating the situation that Karlsson has no desire to remain in. Karlsson having no interest in signing with Ottawa is just about the biggest indictment you can have on the owner and GM.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
If we trade Karlsson, my reaction will hinge on the return. Lindros was traded and it set up the Nordiques/Colorado for a decade or so. Everybody's got a price.
The return is important, but so is the messaging to the players and fanbase that we won't pay the best player in franchise history what he is worth. The level of my anger will change depending on what we get back, but I will still be angry that we ran a generational player out of town because our owner is a cheap prick.

If they tank EK's value by adding in Ryan's contract, then it is simply indefensible and all true Sens fans should actively work towards getting rid of Melnyk.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Boro is saying all the things Melnyk does. "I'd much rather have a team and take small issues with it than not have a team at all. Eugene stepped up for the city and he brought this team back to us and kept hockey in this market and its important to remember that."

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
If I'm Karlsson, I wouldn't even consider resigning in Ottawa. I don't agree with the negativity of the billboards, but I completely understand it. Also, the billboards are just another act in the circus that is the Ottawa Senators right now. Would you want to sign with a team that has a fan base warring with the owner? Doesn't matter who is right or wrong, it's just a mess. Ottawa is looking like a gong show.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
To be fair, if Karlsson has no intent of re-signing, the reason the owner and GM would be stupid is for creating the situation that Karlsson has no desire to remain in. Karlsson having no interest in signing with Ottawa is just about the biggest indictment you can have on the owner and GM.

This doesn't make sense. You put him in trade rumours after being a superstar fr your team, you insult his friends (Alfie, Heatley, Crosby), you insult his coaches (Cameron anyways), you cheap out on every player who's come befroe him AND THEN YOU ASK HIM IF YOU WANT TO STAY?

And of course the answer is no, EK doesn't want to stay, and then the organization turns aorund and says "he had no intention of signing here."

It's like being in a totally one sided marriage and then asking other person if they want out, they say yes, and then you claim you did everything you could and they wanted to end the marriage not you.

This is why our management sucks and billboards are going up. Because we play games with the people you don't play games with - their own fans and the players.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
If I'm Karlsson, I wouldn't even consider resigning in Ottawa. I don't agree with the negativity of the billboards, but I completely understand it. Also, the billboards are just another act in the circus that is the Ottawa Senators right now. Would you want to sign with a team that has a fan base warring with the owner? Doesn't matter who is right or wrong, it's just a mess. Ottawa is looking like a gong show.

hmmm a barring with his own fanbase
a barring with former fired exceutives and one of the founders
a barring with former employees
a barring with former star players
a barring with former captains
a barring with former coaches
a barring with other NHL players
a barring with the league's best player
a barring with the current captain.

There seems to be common denominator to all of this, I just can't seem to put my finger on it, on what seems to be the sole problem with the franchise. I really wonder who could be causing all this "gong show"

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Lol I ****ing love the angst about 4 ****ing billboards.

A bunch of people chipped in a nothing amount of like $10.

It's shows fan passion even if you don't like the message.

I would love it if someone else started a drive for a #MoreMelnyk billboard campaign.

Except we all know how that one would go.

I also love the literal battalion of strawmen that are constantly trotted put about how the billboards are not "going to force Melnyk to sell".

For the 10000x time. Obviously.

That's not the point and anyone who insists on arguing that strawman is 100% doing it to deflect and/or gaslight the people reading the debate.

The billboards are more about generating discussion and in this case getting out in front of something which would be impossible to reverse if done (EK trade), the reasons why they are erected are incomparable but the intent is similar to that in the new billboard based movie, which is a great watch by the way!

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

I feel like if they trade Karlsson I may just start cheering for another team. Dahlen might be great, but it is whether or not his skills are transferable to the NHL. Rundblad was a good example of someone who looked dynamite in the SEL, and then could not translate those skills to the big league.

The reason I bring up Dahlen, is because the only way I feel we win a trade for Karlsson is a deal involving that 1st overall pick and Dahlen. Otherwise, Karlsson is the franchise. Period.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Boro is saying all the things Melnyk does. "I'd much rather have a team and take small issues with it than not have a team at all. Eugene stepped up for the city and he brought this team back to us and kept hockey in this market and its important to remember that."

This sounds like the equivalent of being "encouraged" by your boss to post a positive Glassdoor review

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Note to Boro - no one cares what happened 15 years ago. If they did, Melnyck would be able to sell tickets to the Hossa/Alfie show at the CTC.

The NHL brand is strong across Canada, the Ottawa Senators brand is weak in it's own market, and getting weaker.

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Note to Boro - no one cares what happened 15 years ago. If they did, Melnyck would be able to sell tickets to the Hossa/Alfie show at the CTC.

The NHL brand is strong across Canada, the Ottawa Senators brand is weak in it's own market, and getting weaker.

Hard to criticize your boss publicly. I can tell you personally though he is not a fan of Eugene.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
And these takes would be taken a lot more seriously if they were small issues.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Melnyk

tenor.gif

Reactions: coladin

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Hard to criticize your boss publicly. I can tell you personally though he is not a fan of Eugene.

And from Boro too, the guy who is sacrificing the most of any player on the team for Melnycks brand. It's hard to see Boro who'll end up in the worst mental state by his own play defneding a guy who I imagine doesn't care at all about his health.

Boro fights for his teammates not his owner, but to hear him say it is all to typical of a tough closing ranks on his people right or wrong, and at the same time making you wonder why he's doing it?

Boro's doing enough for this team, he should stay out of this.

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
And from Boro too, the guy who is sacrificing the most of any player on the team for Melnycks brand. It's hard to see Boro who'll end up in the worst mental state by his own play defneding a guy who I imagine doesn't care at all about his health.

Boro fights for his teammates not his owner, but to hear him say it is all to typical of a tough closing ranks on his people right or wrong, and at the same time making you wonder why he's doing it?

I'm sure he was asked the question by reporters, so just gave the company line. Wouldn't get bent out of shape about it.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

Nah he shouldn't stay out of it. He can say what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad