Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
So where is this big billboard, what's going on? Lol, this generation is a failure in every regard, all the momentum is gone, a billboard now will just look stupid. You can't just stamp your feet on the internet, maybe donate $20 from your comfy couch and expect to effect change. Unbelievably dim lot. Maybe some lawyers said hey, if you put that up it will be considered libel and this group didn't have a back-up plan. Putting up a board now will get a picture in the paper and it will forgotten exactly one day later, everyone just says yawn.

Use your brains if you want to do something that might make a difference, this is bush league.
Actually, the guy who started it is about 40 - you just proved the reality of every generation putting down the following ones.

But please, enlighten everyone and explain how you would use your brains in this aspect. I’m certain it’ll be better than bush league.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I agree to an extent. Social media can be useful in activating people to a cause, but there has to be real action, not just ranting. Youth today seem to think just putting their opinions out there is enough, it's not. Just because mom told you you're special and your opinion counts, it doesn't. I also agree that the only thing to force Melnyk to sell is the NHL (well that and big profit). So what is the business case? That's what I'm suggesting pointing out. Ottawa is a fantastic hockey market imo, it could be generating far more revenue than it is with better ownership. That's the case that has to be made, not a billboatd.
I’m guessing you don’t have kids...

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I agree to an extent. Social media can be useful in activating people to a cause, but there has to be real action, not just ranting. Youth today seem to think just putting their opinions out there is enough, it's not. Just because mom told you you're special and your opinion counts, it doesn't. I also agree that the only thing to force Melnyk to sell is the NHL (well that and big profit). So what is the business case? That's what I'm suggesting pointing out. Ottawa is a fantastic hockey market imo, it could be generating far more revenue than it is with better ownership. That's the case that has to be made, not a billboatd.

Do you want the fans to make a business model case to the NHL about the potential profitability of the Ottawa franchise when we have no access to real revenue and expense #’s (and the NHK does)??

Bettman can call Desmarais tomorrow and get a cheque for $750 million, money isn’t the issue.

Getting Melnycks signature on a sale document is the issue. Making him feel unwelcome and highliting the communities rejection of his leadership style is the best thing we can do besides emptying the stadium.

And if you have a business background and want everyone to do something about it, why don’t you do something about it. Get out your excel spreadsheet, get Bettmand email and get to work

Reactions: bert

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
See this Instagram video by @tsn_official

Can we do this to Melnyk (rhetorical, answer is no bcuz #Ottawa).

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I get that maybe you've never actually been involved in any business meetings outside of maybe union elections but this is how you make changes, you meet with decision makers. It will cost some cash but open up your brain, twitter is not a change maker. Otherwise, retreat to your keyboard and tell everyone how unfair the world is and get really angry with a billboard, that will change the world.

There are 31 NHL team owners (or ownership groups) and they HIRE someone, like Bettman to represent them ......... he works for them, including Melnyk, he's their employee.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Good article that talks about the role of a GM in the modern NHL. Carolina is adapting to the recent trend of sharing front-office duties among multiple people while Melnyk seems to be going the other way despite apparently putting an emphasis drafting/developing better players. Dorion is basically a one-man show here while Melnyk just takes up more superficial titles.

Senators’ thin front office not like others in the NHL

Here’s the management team of the small-market Calgary Flames, who defeated the Senators 2-1 on Friday night: president and chief executive officer Ken King; president of hockey operations Brian Burke; general manager Brad Treliving: assistant general managers Craig Conroy and Brad Pascall; vice-president of hockey operations Don Maloney.

For comparison sake, the top-heavy management of the Toronto Maple Leafs is this: president and CEO, MLSE, Michael Friisdahl; president Brendan Shanahan; general manager Lou Lamoriello; assistant general managers Kyle Dubas and Mark Hunter; assistant to the general manager Brandon Pridham.

Surrounding Dorion on the Senators management masthead: president and CEO Eugene Melnyk; assistant general manager Randy Lee.

Last season, the Senators’ front office also included senior hockey advisor Bryan Murray, who passed away from cancer in August, and senior advisor of hockey operations Daniel Alfredsson. Alfredsson abruptly left the organization in the summer. In February, Melnyk added the president and CEO titles, taking over from the departed Tom Anselmi.

From an off-ice competitive standpoint, the Senators simply don’t match up.

In Melnyk’s open letter to season-ticket holders earlier this month, he alluded to improving the club’s scouting process.

“As a team, we need to get younger, faster and more skilled,” Melnyk wrote. “I remain committed to investing what is needed to identify, draft and develop the players that embody what it means to be an Ottawa Senator.”

As of yet, though, we’ve yet to hear of any full-time additions to the scouting staff, decisions that are required to take pressure off Dorion and allow him to spend more time on the other parts of a job that has far too many tentacles.

Reactions: bert

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Woah! That is a great idea... get the I hate Melnyk gang to go to a game and chant some songs against Melnyk... oops! you don’t all go to games. Next idea?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Good article that talks about the role of a GM in the modern NHL. Carolina is adapting to the recent trend of sharing front-office duties among multiple people while Melnyk seems to be going the other way despite apparently putting an emphasis drafting/developing better players. Dorion is basically a one-man show here while Melnyk just takes up more superficial titles.

Senators’ thin front office not like others in the NHL

Carolina
Staff Directory

Ottawa
Front Office

Reactions: Variable26

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I am willing to wager that in the off-season we will see a new executive team hired for the team.

Hopefully, some damn fine marketing folks that turn this ship around quickly!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Did you read any part of the article at all. You know the part where Dundon said they are expanding the front office because Francis has too much on his plate. Did you think that was going to happen over night.

I actually can't believe Melnyk cheap out on all things but has someone on payrole to defend him on an internet message board.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I feel like Melnyk selling and the scorched earth is the same option. No chance new ownership doesn't rebuild the organization from within.
50% for selling the team.....Yeah I would say thats a pretty clear indicator to what fans want.......

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Can you expand on what you're trying to get at with these links?

From the article that prompeted this post, it seems Carolina has identified it's thin executive group as a potential cause for it's struggles, and is looking to expand the management group.

It seems both teams started in the same place (thin exective group making the decisions), and both have found themselves arriving at the same destination (crapy team). One, however, has made public their intent to change how they structure their executive going forward. We'll have to wait and see if that decision pays dividends. Didn't the leafs drastically expand their executive group around the time they moved away from Nonis?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What's the point of raging until we see how this plan unfolds? Other than having a look around and weighing options, I don't expect to see much change of any kind until the offseason.

We should play out the season, take our nice high draft pick, and get started the next day. Raging right now is such a waste, the momentum is completely gone in this Melnyk stuff because it was weak and petulant to begin with. We suck, he said some stupid things, and people freaked out and used the excuse to save money while venting. It is what it is, but eventually you have to dry the tears and move on.

He hired some folks to help him not be so stupid, sat down with PD, listened to his long term plan, liked it, and signed him to an extension. He has stepped out of the public eye to avoid stoking the fire, and it has predictably died off to zero interest and coverage outside of this board and perhaps Ottawa in general. He promised some positive changes coming in a letter and has since gone quiet again to avoid any issues.

This is likely the EM we will get from now on, and it is a very good thing.

The venting is done, there is nothing else to get upset about for the time being until we see how this organizational change fleshes out this summer. The only thing left is to sit back and watch the rest of the games, and stay buckled for what promises to be one heck of an offseason!

A good friend of mine who moved to Ottawa went to her first game against Calgary (a date), and she LOVED IT. Sent me a half dozen videos throughout the game of the atmosphere and was so pumped. She knows nothing about the ownership crap and couldn't care a lick. She wanted to see EK and some NHL hockey and had a great time. We really don't need a stadium of 16000 armchair GMs who think they know best, we just need people to remember that it's about enjoying watching Pageau on a breakaway.

The downtown arena will be such a boon, as there will no longer be that dreaded exit and drive after the game to worry about, and there will be a ton of walk up visitors who could care less about the behind the scenes drama, and just want to watch and cheer at an NHL game.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Update on the Billboards

Contract signed!

We have finally secured locations and dates for the billboards. They are:

March 19 (two weeks)

Ogilvie Rd. near St-Laurent Blvd.
Hunt Club Rd. near Paul Benoit Dr.
Bank St. near Riverside
Carling Ave. near Preston St.

April 2 (one week)

Bank St. near Riverdale Ave.

Thanks to Josh at OUTFRONT Media for helping with the details.

More to come...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Clearly the brains behind this didn't think it would be this successful cause it sure looks like he has no idea what he's doing.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I just wanted to add that Florida has made the playoffs TWICE in the last 16 YEARS! TWICE!

Let that sink in while you contemplate how lame a team we are, how bad our GM is, how terrible our ownership is...

TWICE!

I think we're what 13 of 16.... Not sure anyone out there feels bad for us, and I think people may understand why lots of us don't feel bad for us.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
None of those are anywhere even close to the arena.
7OPc2BJ.jpg

Oye.

Reactions: BonkTastic

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Woah! That is a great idea... get the I hate Melnyk gang to go to a game and chant some songs against Melnyk... oops! you don’t all go to games. Next idea?
I don’t get that some folks feel that everyone has to attend games in order to have an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad