News Article: Melnyk: 'not selling the team — period'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Genuinely curious, does anyone have any idea how long it would actually take from Blair station to Pimisi for the game? Pimisi is the stop, right?

From Tunnies to Blair is supposed to be 25 mins with a train coming every 5 mins, so a little less than 25 mins

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Genuinely curious, does anyone have any idea how long it would actually take from Blair station to Pimisi for the game? Pimisi is the stop, right?

If you plot the route on Google Maps, which today would be by Bus, and all the stops included, it would be in the 25 minute range.

Google Maps

Therefore I suspect the LRT, with the tenth Stop being Pimisi, without lights and not having to navigate downtown traffic, would be in the 15 min range ....... that's my best guess

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
From Tunnies to Blair is supposed to be 25 mins with a train coming every 5 mins, so a little less than 25 mins

They're not "trains", they're Street cars, complete with overhead wires

iu

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

iu

Actually, the use of overhead wires to power train does not in and off itself make it a streetcar. The designation "streetcar" typically refers to local routes, small usually one "train" vehicles, that share the streets in mixed traffic, while LRT typically have their own lane (dedicated use), multiple vehicles trained together, have stops spaced further apart (though will typically have closer stops when going through a downtown core).

The difference between a streetcar and a LRT train isn't the vehicle, it's the tracks, and how they are incorporated into the rest of the local transit.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Actually, the use of overhead wires to power train does not in and off itself make it a streetcar. The designation "streetcar" typically refers to local routes, small usually one "train" vehicles, that share the streets in mixed traffic, while LRT typically have their own lane (dedicated use), multiple vehicles trained together, have stops spaced further apart (though will typically have closer stops when going through a downtown core).

The difference between a streetcar and a LRT train isn't the vehicle, it's the tracks, and how they are incorporated into the rest of the local transit.

The Vehicles that will be running on the tracks will be much more like a Streetcar, than a Train.

Let's say a Streetcar on dedicated tracks, but not a train in the accepted definition of a train.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Vehicles that will be running on the tracks will be much more like a Streetcar, than a Train.

Let's say a Streetcar on dedicated tracks, but not a train in the accepted definition of a train.

You're missing the point; it's not the vehicle that defines streetcars, it's the usage. The same vehicle used in the O-Train confederation line application could be used in a light rail system devoid of any streets, purely discrete tracks. If you want to call it a streetcar because the overhead wires, go ahead, but you'd be wrong. Electric trains using overhead wires are employed in Sweden and India for example. Alternatively some electric trains use a third rail instead of wires

For further clarity, here's the writeup for the producer of the trains that the Confederation line will use:
Citadis Spirit is the only light rail vehicle with a fully low floor, suitable for use in city centres as well as on peripheral rail networks at speeds of over 100 km/h, without the need to change trains.
With modular car body lengths (27, 30 or 48m) Citadis Spirit can take 200-300 passengers. The addition of extra cars enables the train to meet greater capacity requirements, similar to those of a metro
Source

You might notice the use of the word "train" when describing their product.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I don't give two ****s what they call it.

Just pointing out what a disagreeable little *****ebag you are on every subject.

I have a different POV on some topics, than you do ........ but at least I don't stoop to your level of childish insults and name calling.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You're missing the point; it's not the vehicle that defines streetcars, it's the usage. The same vehicle used in the O-Train confederation line application could be used in a light rail system devoid of any streets, purely discrete tracks. If you want to call it a streetcar because the overhead wires, go ahead, but you'd be wrong. Electric trains using overhead wires are employed in Sweden and India for example. Alternatively some electric trains use a third rail instead of wires

For further clarity, here's the writeup for the producer of the trains that the Confederation line will use:

Source

You might notice the use of the word "train" when describing their product.

You and anyone can call it a train, but it has much more in common, as a vehicle, with streetcar, than a train such as a Via train, or the Go Trains in the GTA area.

Calling the glorified streetcar a "train" is like someone advertising their bread as "artisan" it sounds like a better product that it probably is.

If you think this looks more like a Train to you than a Streetcar, have it your way.

1280px-Confederation_Line_train_testing_near_St._Laurent_station%2C_January_2018.jpg

Ottawa LRT

iu

TTC Street Car

iu

GO Train GTA​

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Too bad they can't bring back the classic streetcars. Ottawa was foolish to remove them...

They really weren't, under the circumstances.

Street trolleys were very unpopular at the time, which means no one rode them, and considering that they were publicly owned at the time, it meant the entire program was hemorrhaging money for the city. The track system was also very small, and the city needed to extend service to new post-war residential areas that didn't have track, so new track would have needed to be lay, but with the cars already unpopular, the city didn't like the idea for laying expensive new track for a system that was not used much. Also, the existing track was in terrible shape, and a huge chunk of it needed to be replaced.

On top of all of this, by the time they closed the project, literally all of the trolleys were desperately needed to be replaced due to age - they were falling apart.

Basically, the city had two options - replace every single trolley car AND expand the rail track line to 4x it's size AND replace half of the old track... or just replace the fleet with buses, which were insanely cheaper (bus companies at the time were pricing themselves at near cost in order to try and phase out rail in North American cities), and could service all of the expanding neighborhoods.

Expanding rail, at the time, could have bankrupted the city. Buses were cheaper to buy, easier and cheaper to maintain, served a wider customer base, and were popular. It made absolute sense at the time to make the switch.

It sucks in retrospect, but it's clear as day as to why they made the switch.

Reactions: pzeeman

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Aren't you the guy who earlier was asking what qualifies as "nitpicking"?

In case you were still looking for a definition, I offer you your own post, above, as Exhibit A.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

iu
The LRT won't be anywhere near a street, won't have to wait at stop lights and obey traffic laws, and will not make multiple stops every few hundred meters. Not a street car.

ev-train-6.jpg

Overhead wires...not a train.

maxresdefault.jpg

More overhead wires. Still not a train.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You and anyone can call it a train, but it has much more in common, as a vehicle, with streetcar, than a train such as a Via train, or the Go Trains in the GTA area.

Calling the glorified streetcar a "train" is like someone advertising their bread as "artisan" it sounds like a better product that it probably is.

If you think this looks more like a Train to you than a Streetcar, have it your way.

1280px-Confederation_Line_train_testing_near_St._Laurent_station%2C_January_2018.jpg

Ottawa LRT

iu

TTC Street Car

iu

GO Train GTA​

You should probably send a strongly worded email to the manufacturer of the new O-trains and inform them that they aren't selling trains as they suggest, because apparently you know better.

I'll even lend you a helping hand; here's their contact info: Press contacts

Let us all know what they tell you btw, I'm really eager to here back about how you showed them what's what. I suspect they'll have to come out and put a full page apology in every local paper once they realize the folly of their ways.

Reactions: Sensung

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
My Tram comment was deleted! NOOOOOOOO!!

Ok, back on topic...so...ummm...Melnyk still hasn't sold the team? Any news on that front?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Until Melnyk Choo-Choo-Chooses to sell, there will likely be little movement on the matter.

tumblr_mi6xmrjrnR1roqchko1_500.jpg

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I'm a-freight that there's nothing new on that front, chum.

I would love for some news about the sale of the team to leak so we can derail our attention from the abysmal season that the team is having.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I like the direction this thread is now taking. Full steam ahead!

edit: I just realized that this more of a sailing term. Did I already ruin the fun?

Reactions: Micklebot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad