News Article: Melnyk: 'not selling the team — period'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What i am saying is you know damn well there are petty people out there that will take issue with it so avoid the whole issue by starting off the PR tour in Ottawa. It isnt that you can't talk to the guys in Kingston its that your first peiority optically should be on this market. Its another self inflicted mistep.

On anither note, apparently the PR firm is technically a crisis management firm. I found that a bit funny

I can see where you're coming from for sure, but maybe reaching a wider audience was more important than pandering to pettiness, who knows, I just don't think its a big deal.

Haha, well it certainly was a crisis!

The only thing the owner should be discussing with the GM as it pertains to the roster is "this is how much you have to spend on the roster". That's it, and it's not even a roster discussion, it's a budget discussion.

If you don't like what the management team you hired to manage your roster is doing with the roster, you find a new management team. That's the extent you should be involved as an owner - no more than that.

I agree with all of this, my point is that maybe that's what they are doing, or perhaps Dorian is asking for more money than the budget, who knows, but it's likely all about money and not hockey ops, as both men have strongly indicated that EM does not get involved in those decisions

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I can see where you're coming from for sure, but maybe reaching a wider audience was more important than pandering to pettiness, who knows, I just don't think its a big deal.

I agree with all of this, my point is that maybe that's what they are doing, or perhaps Dorian is asking for more money than the budget, who knows, but it's likely all about money and not hockey ops, as both men have strongly indicated that EM does not get involved in those decisions
That is what they said but it is not what Julie Turris said and not what was widely reported about Alfies departure

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

My entire point is you can do both; pander to your core audience, and reach a national audience with the second interview.

Perhaps it was just a matter of who`s schedule was open when, perhaps Melnyk already was in the area on other business, but you already have a sensitive fan base because of some previous interviews, you should probably avoid causing a stir with something so easily avoided.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
When somebody wrongs you and tries to apologize, you accept it. That’s just how it’s done.
You don’t nitpick and critique. You accept the apology. You don’t have to trust that person anymore. Or be friends. Or even like them. But you accept the apology.

Melnyk (even if he was told to do it) is trying. I’d encourage him to follow it up with a nice gesture for the fans. But if he’s moving in the right direction, I don’t think folks should be pushing him backwards.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
When somebody wrongs you and tries to apologize, you accept it. That’s just how it’s done.
You don’t nitpick and critique. You accept the apology. You don’t have to trust that person anymore. Or be friends. Or even like them. But you accept the apology.

Melnyk (even if he was told to do it) is trying. I’d encourage him to follow it up with a nice gesture for the fans. But if he’s moving in the right direction, I don’t think folks should be pushing him backwards.

Perfectly said.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

Someone could apologize without it being genuine though. Not that I am saying Melnyk is necessarily doing that, but if his apology has undertones of still trying to blame the fans it is not genuine.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Except he didn't apologize for what he said.

Baby steps. Melynk is (apparently) starting to move into the right direction. For the time being, I'll accept it...until he gives me a reason not to. You have to give people a chance to change.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Tbh i place blame for the mis step on the PR firm. I don't take issue with it myself but there were people complaining about it and i think it should have been obvious that a portion of fans would (thoigh some will find something wrong with anything). If this is what we can expect from Melnyk and not forensic investigations and veiled threats of relocation during cornerstone events that's great.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, personally I see nothing wrong with what Melnyk did in regards to the PR firm.

He’s been here 10 years and has no idea how to talk to us. It’s because we’ve let him off the hook so many times, it wasn’t even the fanbase that made him think twice about how he treats us, the NHL made him do it, that’s why it sucks because it’s a forced act, not an act of sincerity.

The idea to put the sports worst interview and a man who is literally ‘unselling the game’ and the worst public face of hockey into media management is a goood and logical idea, the execution is horrible, Melnycks voice sounds creepy, his forced smiles makes me think of a man who’s hiding very dark ideas and he’s genuine someone who cannot portray honesty towards Ottawa fans.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He’s been here 10 years and has no idea how to talk to us. It’s because we’ve let him off the hook so many times, it wasn’t even the fanbase that made him think twice about how he treats us, the NHL made him do it, that’s why it sucks because it’s a forced act, not an act of sincerity.

The idea to put the sports worst interview and a man who is literally ‘unselling the game’ and the worst public face of hockey into media management is a goood and logical idea, the execution is horrible, Melnycks voice sounds creepy, his forced smiles makes me think of a man who’s hiding very dark ideas and he’s genuine someone who cannot portray honesty towards Ottawa fans.
I'm not doing any advocating of the guy, I really dislike Melnyk.

I just don't see the need to care that he is using a PR firm out of Toronto.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Someone could apologize without it being genuine though. Not that I am saying Melnyk is necessarily doing that, but if his apology has undertones of still trying to blame the fans it is not genuine.

Eugene Melnyk is genuine in the same way Trump is genuine.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Baby steps. Melynk is (apparently) starting to move into the right direction. For the time being, I'll accept it...until he gives me a reason not to. You have to give people a chance to change.

hes the same slimy bull shitter he's always been. he was slimy in previous businesses as well, and he's you think he's going to change now? i dont know too many 60 yr olds who change their personality makeup. If a life saving liver from an ottawa fan didnt change him - its not happening.
you might get a phoney PR front but actual change? lol not a chance.
that may be good enough for some i suppose though, to each their own.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
hes the same slimy bull ****ter he's always been. he was slimy in previous businesses as well, and he's you think he's going to change now? i dont know too many 60 yr olds who change their personality makeup. If a life saving liver from an ottawa fan didnt change him - its not happening.
you might get a phoney PR front but actual change? lol not a chance.
that may be good enough for some i suppose though, to each their own.

I know the odds of Melynk truly changing are fairly low. But, you still need to give a person a chance. When you shut the door on someone, the odds of them changing drop to zero.

If he turns around and does something stupid again, then I'll give up hope on him. Turning the other cheek implies you give a person one chance...if they blow that one, then game over.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I think you sound creepy. Why are you obsessed with the owner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad