Speculation: Mega Hanifin Thread: New contract in place with Tampa, no trade agreed on yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
"Don't draft Americans" is a surefire way to shoot yourself in the foot. You are pretty much voluntarily taking yourself out of 30% of the talent pool that is up for grabs. The Gaudreau/Tkachuk situation sucks, but at the end of the day if an American is the BPA you draft them anyway and take your chances.

Vancouver didn't have a problem keeping their American stars. Ditto Toronto and Matthews. Winnipeg kept Hellybuyck too.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I have to say I agree with @Bounces R Way. If all things are equal, take the Cdn boy. Too many American players don't want to play here. It makes life unnecessarily complicated for the team.
That's reasonable, but a far cry from "no more Americans". The latter would be foolish, as proven by the number of American star players in their prime who have recently signed long-term deals with Canadian teams.

I think the message for Canadian teams is be aware that all players, not just Americans, have valid reasons - climate, taxes, anonymity, border hassle - to ply their trade stateside, so plan accordingly.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Wonder what Pettersson, Hughes and JT Miller's excuse is... Must love the Trudeau Syrup. Nah this all has to do with the flames ineptitude. No clear message from the top.

I agree. Winnipeg kept Helle and Connor too, Ottawa kept Brady. This is an organizational thing.

I'll say, probably being a bit biased, that Calgary would be one of the best cities to live in in Canada. After Van, Toronto and Montreal.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
I agree. Winnipeg kept Helle and Connor too, Ottawa kept Brady. This is an organizational thing.

I'll say, probably being a bit biased, that Calgary would be one of the best cities to live in in Canada. After Van, Toronto and Montreal.
Simply set hard deadlines when you offer extensions. Start talking trade the second the deadline passes. You let hanafin control the whole narrative from the summer.

This obsession with retooling over rebuilding makes no sense in professional sports. You end up in this mess.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I mean it’s not like anyone outside of Fox isn’t signing with the Flames. They are just leaving in FA. Tkachuk still had a ton of value if Treliving didn’t mess it up. Hanifin should get us a first +. Gaudreau leaving wasn’t a bad thing in retrospect. Fox helped us get Lindholm and Hanifin.

Reactions: User1996

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Today’s trades all hurt the leverage we had with a Hanifin trade. Honestly cannot wait to be rid of this player.

A headache on the ice for a large part of his time here and now in these trade negotiations

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I agree with you, but I mean you look at the exodus going on. You look back to drafting a guy like Fox. I can certainly forsee Calgary avoiding Americans in the draft (with exceptions) going forward.

To be fair the Hurricanes couldn't even sign Fox and last I checked, Raleigh is located in the US.

Fox only wanted to be a Ranger. It wasn't something he expressed before the draft so no fault to the Flames for drafting him. But if he grew up in Regina, Saskatchewan or Thudbner Bay, Ontario I think he would've signed with the Flames.

Reactions: Mrfenn92 and JKG33

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Honeslty, if he's dead set on wanting to come to Tampa and signing long term then I think the best move is for Tampa to sign him in the offseason.

What's the point at which Calgary says they will trade him rather than get nothing? I think there is a trade price worth paying but it's significantly less than what i've seen posted here.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Calgary never gave anyone permission to talk contract with him

I mean it’s not like anyone outside of Fox isn’t signing with the Flames. They are just leaving in FA. Tkachuk still had a ton of value if Treliving didn’t mess it up. Hanifin should get us a first +. Gaudreau leaving wasn’t a bad thing in retrospect. Fox helped us get Lindholm and Hanifin.
Americans

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I can't directly pull the source but apparently Pagnotta was claiming Detroit is interested but only if he'll extend.

... Kinda seems to me that he's only intent on extending in Tampa at this point. Tampa's trade assets are pretty horrible if Calgary wants picks or prospects, but Calgary may not have a choice.
Gauthier, Thompson or Howard are far from awful. If you want to say their draft picks are horrible, then absolutely.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Honeslty, if he's dead set on wanting to come to Tampa and signing long term then I think the best move is for Tampa to sign him in the offseason.
Risky move by the TBL.. if he is traded and ends up liking the destination, all bets are off. When you have an opportunity to get a player that wants to be here and we have an opening for.. you try your best to make that deal.

Reactions: The Gongshow

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Conroy trades Hanifin to Vegas, just as a final middle finger to Edmonton :clap: :laugh:

“If we have to rebuild, we will f*** you too”

• Haha
Reactions: FLAMESFAN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad