Speculation: Mega Hanifin Thread: New contract in place with Tampa, no trade agreed on yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Condensing all the Hanifin talk to one thread. Currently thoughts from the insiders is that Tampa is his preference and the Panthers are making a big push for him. Flames still not getting the offers they want.

Keep all Hanifin talk here please.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Tampa should not give up a single asset for a player who sign here in a few months anyhow.

Tampa is not a contender. Hold tight Hanafin, we'll see you soon.

If I were the Panthers I would not trade for him without a deal in place.

He could walk after the season. IMHO, Panthers seem like a better destination right now if he's looking to win.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Call me crazy, but I don't think this guy is going to fetch nearly the return Calgary thinks he is going to fetch. There seems to be a clear intent from agents and, uh, other individuals, to create a bidding war between the Lightning and Panthers for this guy.

As the gentleman above me points out, if Hanifin wants to play in Tampa, he can simply sign there in the off-season and everyone's happy (except for Calgary). And the Panthers don't really have anything very enticing to offer for him, unless you are much higher on Spencer Knight than I happen to be. I see Lundell being mentioned here frequently, maybe as a fantasy scenario for the Flames. Lundell on a RFA contract is far more valuable to the Florida Panthers than Noah Hanifin on a UFA max term contract.

I could be real off-base here, but I think this one probably ends as a wet fart.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Are there any surprise teams in the mix? Florida wants to trade for him, apparently Hanifin wants to go to Tampa, Boston has been mentioned but Boston just simply doesn't have the assets to pony up for a deadline deal.

Any other teams that could swoop in and surprise? Even if it's a pure rental trade?

Reactions: G Backup

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Tampa should not give up a single asset for a player who sign here in a few months anyhow.

He could walk after the season. IMHO, Panthers seem like a better destination right now if he's looking to win.
Why doesnt Calgary trade him for the best return regardless of team, then Hanifin can sign where he wants in the offseason? I dont see how where he "wants" to go matters when he is a rental to any other team

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
Why doesnt Calgary trade him for the best return regardless of team, then Hanifin can sign where he wants in the offseason? I dont see how where he "wants" to go matters when he is a rental to any other team

He has a lot less value as a rental than if he's signed to an extension. This is probably why the Calgary guy in here is malding about my opinion that a lot of the media frenzy on this is a desperate attempt to drive up the price for the player.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

I understand you point but players who become UFAs sign with teams that aren't their preferred destination all the time. Everyone expected Gaudreau to sign with Philly or NJ or some other team in the area yet he surprised a lot of people by signing with Columbus.
Also if you trade for a pending UFA you can offer them a 8 yr contract instead of the 7 you can offer a UFA. An extra $7m is a great selling point to any player and gives you an advantage over other bidders. Hanifin is young enough, and with his style of play, that an 8 yr contract should age well.

Hexy

Jun 27, 2015
Caldaro
Hanifin has limited control over where he gets traded, but he has 100% control over who he signs his next contract with.

He'd be pretty stupid not to test free agency, more teams will be able to make him offers, so more options and more money.

If Calgary trades him (which they should), the return will be underwhelming, since he has to be considered a rental.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hanifin has limited control over where he gets traded, but he has 100% control over who he signs his next contract with.

He'd be pretty stupid not to test free agency, more teams will be able to make him offers, so more options and more money.

If Calgary trades him (which they should), the return will be underwhelming, since he has to be considered a rental.
Even as a pure rental he'll probably return a little more than Hampus Lindholm did.

Also free agency doesn't equal more money necessarily, that 8th year could mean more money than a UFA deal.

He's not going to return what some Flames fans think, but he's also going to return more than the opposition fans that think they're going to get him for a song.

Reactions: Blueston

Bond

May 10, 2012

Depends. 8th year is pretty valuable if he really only wants to go to a Florida team.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
He has a lot less value as a rental than if he's signed to an extension. This is probably why the Calgary guy in here is malding about my opinion that a lot of the media frenzy on this is a desperate attempt to drive up the price for the player.
He would in general but do any of the teams he wants to sign and trade with have a good offer? None of Bos/Flo/TB have 1sts this year. I think you could still get a 2024 1st + a decent prospect for him as a rental.

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
He would in general but do any of the teams he wants to sign and trade with have a good offer? None of Bos/Flo/TB have 1sts this year. I think you could still get a 2024 1st + a decent prospect for him as a rental.

I mean, there are always good offers, but are there any realistic good offers from those teams? Probably not. Again, that's why I think this is Calgary management very smartly working with Hanifin's agent to try to spark a bidding war or better offers from those teams.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

This is not a guarantee at all. If you really love the player, and feel he's a need, you capitalize when you can.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think Hanifin will end up being traded to and will sign with some other team than the two Florida teams. Possibly Vegas? Vegas still has all their draft pics left... unlike Tampa and Florida where the cupboard is bare. Vegas LD Martinez is a UFA at the end of this season and he's 36. Hanifin's best buddy Eichel plays for Vegas. Vegas is a cup contender. Vegas also has nice year round weather where you can golf 12 months a year. What's not to like?

EDIT: One more plus... Conroy gets to stick it to Edmonton one more time.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I know that the Canes have said that they want a forward with term, however, Pesce IS a UFA this offseason. I think there's an underrated chance that he sticks around, but if it's already determined that he wants too much for too long, a part of me wonders if they're the mystery team that strikes for Hanifin early. Orlov can play his off-side and Hanifin's extension would start in his age-27 season, right around the same time as Aho starts his. I don't think it's going to happen, but just a thought.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Vegas has Theodore who is a better version of Hanifin. For a rental maybe but they don't have cap space next season for an $8 million defenseman. Tampa doesn't either so that doesn't make sense. Boston seems like the best bet with their focus on defense and goaltending. They'll have some cap room as wellwith some pending UFAs.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Him being a UFA allows for any number of teams to aquire him as a rental, which means TB or any other team can't save AAV on a. 8 year deal. It also means a GM of a team with tons of cap looking to make a splash offer stupid money in July.
If TB or Florida want him in their future plans they likely see it as a better idea to do a sign and trade.

Either way Calgary will get at least a 1st very good prospect +
Lundell isn't anything special and has been on the decline the last two seasons and has less points than Hanifin, Dman who is also very good defensively.
I'm neutral as a nucks fan but maybe watch the guy a bit.
He's been trending up the last two years.

Reactions: Flat Ronnie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad