McLeod and Foote sexual assault charges thread

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
what's this?

Every other Major League team that us Native American mascot was forced to change their logo/name except the Blackhawks.

Not to derail the tread, but hockey is traditional to a fault. After all the crap Babcock did, he still got a job, while Euro and Russian coaches struggle to get a chance.

We expect the league to hold a certain standard, but they have come up short on numerous occasions. The NHL did an investigation only to withhold said information from teams?

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Every other Major League team that us Native American mascot was forced to change their logo/name except the Blackhawks.

Not to derail the tread, but hockey is traditional to a fault. After all the crap Babcock did, he still got a job, while Euro and Russian coaches struggle to get a chance.

We expect the league to hold a certain standard, but they have come up short on numerous occasions. The NHL did an investigation only to withhold said information from teams?
Braves and Chiefs say hello.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I believe Bettman said releasing the findings of their investigation would have interfered with the police investigation and now the current trial.... which sort of implies, to me anyway, that they came up with a definitive opinion or at least have some relevant facts...

Bettman said that they would release their findings as soon as the trial was over... which is interesting because their findings can very well be contradictory to what the court finds one would think.

I honestly don't see this as a league issue at all. All of this happened on Hockey Canada's watch...it was their event, it was their players, it was their out of court settlement and handling of the subsequent events that created the shroud of secrecy.

I honestly think the NHL and the teams these players were apart of are completely blameless in this entire situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou is God

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I believe Bettman said releasing the findings of their investigation would have interfered with the police investigation and now the current trial.... which sort of implies, to me anyway, that they came up with a definitive opinion or at least have some relevant facts...

Bettman said that they would release their findings as soon as the trial was over... which is interesting because their findings can very well be contradictory to what the court finds one would think.

I honestly don't see this as a league issue at all. All of this happened on Hockey Canada's watch...it was their event, it was their players, it was their out of court settlement and handling of the subsequent events that created the shroud of secrecy.

I honestly think the NHL and the teams these players were apart of are completely blameless in this entire situation.

Another OT question.

Why hasn’t Canada been banned from international competition?

Even a suspension (2 year ban/1 Olympic cycle). Russia players are banned for a war they don’t participate in, but Hockey Canada gets caught covering up this scandal and their accounts show other payouts.

I would also want to see a “plan to action”. Hockey Canada will do xyz to make lasting improvements.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Another OT question.

Even a suspension (2 year ban/1 Olympic cycle). Russia players are banned for a war they don’t participate in, but Hockey Canada gets caught covering up this scandal and their accounts show other payouts.

I would also want to see a “plan to action”. Hockey Canada will do xyz to make lasting improvements.

Would be nice, but these massive organizations that are at the root of the problems often do not get punishments commensurate to their crimes. If they get punished at all.

Reactions: BurntToast

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Another OT question.

So is Belarus

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Another OT question.

Probably because there wouldn't be much of a point to have international play without Canada?

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Probably because there wouldn't be much of a point to have international play without Canada?

I can say the same about Russia. Their junior team this would of been a major treat to the US gold. International play is mostly boring without them (hockey). I hope they get to play under a different banner in the Olympics but that is a different issue (Steroids).

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Theres nothing logical about assuming a team let go a 22yo, near-20 goal scorer without extra knowledge other teams didnt have; unless the suggestion is only the Senators acted in good faith (which has been covered and is emotionally-driven)

No worthwhile RFA has ever just simply been allowed to hit UFA without extenuating circumstances. The notion of such is poppycock

This isnt a conversation based in reality; that one team said 'ew, no thanks' while the others said 'who cares' - it didnt happen

Feel free to disagree and supply your own conjecture, I said why I saw Ottawa was in a unique spot.

Ottawa had a major investment in another HC player and they were about to sell their team for close to a billion dollars.

And it doesn’t sound like they let him go immediately, the rumor was they originally gave him a lowball 1 year deal and he was holding out, like a lot of RFAs. Plus there were the trade rumors.

RFAs not tied to scandals hold out and force trades too. Not signing doesn’t make you a UFA. Both Puljujärvi Julius Honka sat out 2019-20 after not signing. William Nylander signed on Dec 1st.

Was there a lowball 1 year deal early on and Formenton blew his chance to get signed? Did that offer go away and if so, when? How solid were the trade rumors? We just don’t know.

I will also point out that the Hockey Canada Scandal festered in the Canadian news for months, and it got worse as it dragged on into the fall of 2022. HC leadership didn’t resign until October 2022.

So maybe they got new information or maybe the continuing news about Hockey Canada made Formenton less and less appealing a risk as his holdout dragged on.

As a side note, if no one else mentioned, I have one guess to why Fitz signed Foote. Not only does he know Nolan, and is a fan, he also played with Adam Foote when he was Avs’ TDL rental in 1998.

Fitz loves and trusts those personal connections and often seems to lean in hard on them. (Not my favorite thing about him to be honest.)

Fitz was even in one of bigger classic Detroit-Colorado brawls, though the 1997 one is the most epic one.

The 3rd period starts ~5 minutes and the brawl is at ~7m. Arron Ward (#27) has Fitz (#14) in a headlock early on.

Reactions: Bleedred

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Another OT question.

The Russian Hockey Federation is part of the Russian government.

Russia is banned because other countries, particularly European countries, don’t want to interact with Russia as they attack another European country. It’s not complicated and a pretty unique situation.

The IIHF needs Hockey Canada to get their shit together but they didn’t cheat at anything or, as far as I know, even break the law.

It’s Canadians who are understandably pissed about the hush fund money.

Reactions: Daida

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Oh. Thought it was an NJ thing

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just realized that we drafted 3 charged sex offenders in a 6 year span.
Who was the third? I know the first two.

I remember Myles Bell flipping his car and it killing his girlfriend, but not the other sex offender.

Mike whateverdantonjefferson may have been charged for something like that, but he was drafted long before the recent two.

Reactions: JimEIV and My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ben Johnson
Oh f***

I forgot him

What a gross, disgusting mutant. Unfortunately he’s still living. And was playing in the Slovak league last year. And he was even playing in the ECHL the year before that. And even upon his release from prison.

Talk about controversy and blaming the organization. BOTH Lou AND Shero had him playing for AHL Albany before he was charged.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Oh f***

I forgot him

What a gross, disgusting mutant. Unfortunately he’s still living. And was playing in the Slovak league last year. And he was even playing in the ECHL the year before that. And even upon his release from prison.

Talk about controversy and blaming the organization. BOTH Lou AND Shero had him playing for AHL Albany before he was charged.

Ya I have no idea how he was still playing during that, certainly wouldn't be allowed nowadays at least.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ya I have no idea how he was still playing during that, certainly wouldn't be allowed nowadays at least.
It’s been years now, but probably since he was pretty much a nothing prospect he probably didn’t get nearly the heat, nor press that he deserved. But that was really a time to firing shots at the organization for letting him be in it.

There were TWO different women! Not even just one!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
the Crown is unlikely to get the sexual assault charge to stick to Mikey; hence he is charged with a second offence
Yeah, I see his defense going something like this:

Crown Prosecutor: So Mr. McLeod, you had intimate relations with the inebriated victim and then thought it was ok to text your buddies to visit her in her compromised state while you went for some wings? What do you have to say for yourself?

McLeod:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nobody remembers the Capitals limo situation from the 90s and a certain player who we revere?
Even if you ignore that a grand jury cleared them and want to believe the absolute worst... Stevens was still not involved and said to be the "lookout".

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Don’t forget about Boucher, another sack of shit.

WTF, we even had a creepy mascot. “1993: New Jersey Devils mascot Slapshot is retired after the team fires its performer for improperly touching three women while in costume.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad