McKenzie on Expansion: Vegas and possibly beyond 32?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I'd like to go back to the few brief comments made about Milwaukee earlier in the thread, and ask these two questions:
1) What seriously is the potential that the Bucks might get relocated?
2) IF that happens, then could there be a potential that the NHL would get in and grab Milwaukee before the NBA might try to get back there?

Of course, the second question depends on the answer to the first.

When I made a stink about this possibility, it was more advocacy than potential. The goal in mind is to send a message that the NBA isn't what it was and the NHL can do something like that, making it a better investment.

I did have an issue with some others here (wanting to benefit from a Bucks move) who made Bradley Center sound outmoded and almost decrepit. I'm tending to think the NHL shouldn't always seek ALL the bells and whistles. However, to see some Milwaukee fans talk about BC, eh, my case there would be an uphill battle at best.

If the NHL decides the Bradley Center needs only a couple touch-ups, I like the chances of the scenario. Since that hasn't necessarily been the MO of the league, meh.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
1) What seriously is the potential that the Bucks might get relocated?

It's way too early to say because nobody knows how much money Kohl would put towards a new arena (all he's said is he'll make a sizable contribution) and nobody knows how the rest of it will be paid. A regional tax like Miller Park seems to be a no go already with 3 of the 5 counties already passing legislation to oppose a new tax or a continuation of the Miller Park tax.

2) IF that happens, then could there be a potential that the NHL would get in and grab Milwaukee before the NBA might try to get back there?

Honestly, I think if the Bucks leave the city won't try to get them back and I don't think the NBA would really entertain it either. Whether that means the city goes after an NHL team, I have no idea but if the NBA leaves, I don't see it ever coming back.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Milwaukee or Houston... but I think there needs to be another team in the CTZ. You look at how the other sports are divided up... 10 CTZ teams in the NBA, 8 in MLB, 8 in NFL. 6 in NHL is a little strange.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Milwaukee or Houston... but I think there needs to be another team in the CTZ. You look at how the other sports are divided up... 10 CTZ teams in the NBA, 8 in MLB, 8 in NFL. 6 in NHL is a little strange.

What is the anagram for CTZ and what are you inferring?

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Art Thiel was with the trade mission Vancouver and the thought that QBC would get next relocation and the expansion teams would be Portland or Vegas

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Art Thiel was with the trade mission Vancouver and the thought that QBC would get next relocation and the expansion teams would be Portland or Vegas

if it is Seattle and vegas for example wouldn't it be better to keep coyotes franchise in the western conference like portland for example.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Care to remind me who Art Thiel is again and his role in the NHL to Seattle? Just curious to know why he thinks his thoughts re: expansion/relo ?

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec

That'd be a real slap in the face. Since there may not be a relocation for a looooong time with the way the nhl helps southbelt teams.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That'd be a real slap in the face. Since there may not be a relocation for a looooong time with the way the nhl helps southbelt teams.

Coyotes aren't staying in 5 years if that out clause is invoke. The issue is with relocation its kinda hard to predict where they end it up cause if they sell to someone that wants Portland then quebec city is out of lock.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Coyotes aren't staying in 5 years if that out clause is invoke. The issue is with relocation its kinda hard to predict where they end it up cause if they sell to someone that wants Portland then quebec city is out of lock.

I dont know about you. But five years is a long time.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Easy now...

Anyway... are we sure Art's got his bearings straight here? I mean, it just seems even more a long shot with what he's stating than what we've surmised so far

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Easy now...

Anyway... are we sure Art's got his bearings straight here? I mean, it just seems even more a long shot with what he's stating than what we've surmised so far

That's the question. He isn't exactly well like by the seattle sports fans myself included.

He's tends to be the negative nilly type. I think he pushed the vegas idea before.

Although on the ownership front for seattle he's the 2nd to mention Balmer as a ownership possiblity for seattle. Not sure if he's hearing that himself or he got that from Baker.

Highstyx

Feb 8, 2014
Vancouver
I don't see Vegas at all. Who spends that kind of money to vacation over there for a hockey game?

People go there to get away from hockey. Seattle and Kitchener Ont. Move NJ to Hamilton. Toronto squawks, they know diddley about Economics

Highstyx

Feb 8, 2014
Vancouver
Pffff... Cry me a river! Seattle already has plenty of sports teams. And you can go to Vancouver for hockey.

Seattle would work very well. So would Portland. 3.4 million in Seattle. 2 mill in Portland. Kitchener only half a mill' but they'd fill the barn

Seattle also lost the Sonics. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Care to remind me who Art Thiel is again and his role in the NHL to Seattle? Just curious to know why he thinks his thoughts re: expansion/relo ?

He's a former Seattle PI newspaper writer that operates his own sports news site. He's somewhat like i said a negative type when it has come to the sodo arena issue. The fact he wasn't negative in terms of yesterdays Vancouver event is shocking.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
He's a former Seattle PI newspaper writer that operates his own sports news site. He's somewhat like i said a negative type when it has come to the sodo arena issue. The fact he wasn't negative in terms of yesterdays Vancouver event is shocking.

Thanks for the background. Re: his thoughts on other expansion/relo sites. Sounds to me it's more or less his opinion as opposed to having any inside knowledge.

Sounds like he's seeing the light on the sodo front so that's sounds pretty encouraging.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Thanks for the background. Re: his thoughts on other expansion/relo sites. Sounds to me it's more or less his opinion as opposed to having any inside knowledge.

Sounds like he's seeing the light on the sodo front so that's sounds pretty encouraging.

I believe he said the superbowl win have cause him to change his mind on sports although some Seattle sports fans kinda question that on that. So its a wait and see on future articles if the tone really changed.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
I believe he said the superbowl win have cause him to change his mind on sports although some Seattle sports fans kinda question that on that. So its a wait and see on future articles if the tone really changed.

Hahaha, I totally imagine him having his own "Christmas Carol" on Superbowl Sunday, and being visited by the ghosts of sports past (Sonics), present (Seahawks) and future (NHL). And finally liking sports and getting into the spirit of the Superbowl.

Now that I think about it, that should be a movie!

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Hahaha, I totally imagine him having his own "Christmas Carol" on Superbowl Sunday, and being visited by the ghosts of sports past (Sonics), present (Seahawks) and future (NHL). And finally liking sports and getting into the spirit of the Superbowl.

Now that I think about it, that should be a movie!

You kinda have it spot on in regards to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad