McKenzie/Ferraro comments on O'Reilly and Sabres, 'unbelievable culture of losing'

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

“Quite aside from his comments, he was one of the guys that I think they were thinking of trading anyways,” indicated McKenzie. “And listen, they know Ryan O’Reilly is a good centerman in the National Hockey League. He’s one of the best faceoff men. It’s remarkable that he plays a shutdown role and got two minutes in penalties over the course of the year. He may well win the Lady Byng Trophy this year, or is certainly one of the top candidates.
“But Jason Botterill is real angry about the way the year went in Buffalo. And they do have an unbelievable culture of losing in Buffalo and O’Reilly has been a part of that. And he addressed that and said that yes, being a part of that culture – losing – that at times – to paraphrase him – he probably played like a loser at times, even though a lot of the games he played he played quite well and still played hard and what have you.
“But they are looking at making change. And in order to facilitate that change, I mean you can’t just take guys that are no good or deep into your lineup and say, ‘We’re going to move those guys and that’s going to change the culture.’

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Montreal has nothing that's worth ROR other than their 1st pick and that's not enough considering what NJ got for Larsson, Columbus got for Johansson

Reactions: Fearnot

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Getting rid of very bad hockey players at the bottom of your lineup and replacing them with potentially better options won't improve your culture, but trading one of your best players for pennies on the dollar will? Wtf?

If I'm Eichel, RoR, Sam, or Risto, and the Sabres actually acquired/developed an abundance of quality secondary pieces next year...I'd be a lot happier knowing, if I'm one of those forwards, I don't have to carry the mail offensively every single game to have a chance to win. And if I was Risto, I'd be happy knowing I wouldn't be expected to play 25-26 minutes every night for the entire season.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Canadiens make a lot of sense as a bidder, you just have to try and get futures with a higher projection.

Theres enough cap space in Montreal that they don't need to send a cap dump back. That's a homer comment on the part of these guys. They have almost an entire roster under contract for next season and 19m in space.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Canadiens make a lot of sense as a bidder, you just have to try and get futures with a higher projection.

Theres enough cap space in Montreal that they don't need to send a cap dump back. That's a homer comment on the part of these guys.

Their prospects are about as bad a group as any team in the NHL has. Ryan Poehling is the only desirable.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
We're gonna end up with Shea Weber's contract... because our stupid owner/management created a culture of losing....

:ha:

Yes, however just like Shea Weber's contract was moved O'Reilly's can be moved. There will be plenty of suitors looking for his ilk of player. He's still in the midst of his 20's, signed long term, brings a certain pedigree and regardless of his comments, he still played hard. This team needs an overhaul of massive proportion. In the same sense that Duchene needed to be moved from Colorado. It is just time to bring in a new crop of talent. Regardless of the type of player O'Reilly is. Whether they be established in the NHL (Eriksson Ek - just an example) or someone who has yet to lace them up (Robert Thomas - St Louis). There will be suitors for winning teams wanting this type of player long term. St Louis makes so much sense as they just moved on from Stastny.

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Has this been said?

Maybe O'Reilly said what he said to force a trade?

This could very well be the case and to a degree, I can understand it. He said what he said, regardless of the case. It was emphasized by almost everyone from the lowest of players on the roster up to the GM and Owner of the franchise. This SHIT needs to change.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Drouin, Mete, 1st

?
That's a trade we're already winning heavily, and just adding drouin. At that point, add price 50% retained because it's just as likely.

In reality, if you get a top 5 pick on the table, you're doing well. That and some auxiliary stuff is plausible. Unless you widen the deal with other pieces from Buffalo, like nylander, say.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
say what you will... i want this team to succeed WITH O'Reilly. I hope that can be done. His absence was felt big time before we got him. And i'm of the opinion that it will felt big time if he's traded away. :dunno:

Not impossible, but his type of play on the ice is tough to replace.

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
what does an OReilly to Montreal deal even look like where we win?

It has to include their 18 pick, one of Poehling or Mete, and other assets. Most likely a contract coming back. To me if it doesn't include the 2018 1st, you balk. Unless they overpay in secondary assets to make it a 2019 1st. If you can get the 2018 first, to get a defensemen within the top 10 - DOBSON! Than you can add two top end prospect talents to the pool. Whether it be a LHD and RHD or Svechnikov and Dobson or Boqvist or Bouchard or Smith or Hughes (if you buy into him).

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
That's a trade we're already winning heavily, and just adding drouin. At that point, add price 50% retained because it's just as likely.

In reality, if you get a top 5 pick on the table, you're doing well. That and some auxiliary stuff is plausible. Unless you widen the deal with other pieces from Buffalo, like nylander, say.

Nonsense.

Trading 5 years of ROR for two prospects is not a trade we are winning without the luck of prospects development being a home run. You may be trading him for David Rundblad and Griffin Reinhart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad