Confirmed with Link: McDonagh + Miller to Tampa Bay for Namestnikov + Howden + Hajek + 2018 1st + conditional 2019 1st

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've never understood people complaining about too many centers. Some of them move to wing, and others who don't move to wing can be put at wing. Its really not a big issue, at all. We should be worrying more about the quality of hockey player we are getting back than whether they prefer center or wing.

Reactions: All Might

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I'll be very surprised if Chytil doesn't start out as a wing with the Rangers, so Howden's position isn't a big deal.

Namestnikov I'm not super happy with, I just think you can put a warm body with Stamkos and Kucherov and he'll produce. DD has good hands and he still keeps up with the play most of the time, distributes well on the PP, he wouldn't have 40 points? 15 more than he does now? But I'm not familiar with Vlad besides that, so give him a chance.

All the stay-at-home guys are there to balance the group out: Skjei, Shatty, DeAngelo, Gilmour if he isn't the Rico Fata of defensemen. This guy or the Russian from the Devils becoming Klein or early G or (especially) early Staal is fine for the investment. Marc Staal was never a scorer in junior. And if there was a high skill guy they loved that was available, I'm sure they would have taken that guy instead.

I thought this trade would give me an A-lister to really latch on to, but if teams like the Panthers and the Oilers that also have those assets were playing hardball too then this is what the deal is. They turned the page.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Again, why target C prospect like Howden when we have Lias and Filip? What?
Centers can be wingers, wingers can't be centers for the most part. Im a big fan of stocking up on guys who play C and sorting them out into Cs and Ws as they come up.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Howden or Hajek were nowhere near the top 50 affiliated prospects TSN released earlier this month.

Foote, Katchouk and Raddysh were though.

Namestnikov and the picks are a bunch of junk, especially since we gave them Miller too.

Miller really isn't that good. He's not significantly better than Ryan Spooner who we basically got for free.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
@Hunter Gathers I wouldn’t go that far yet. Chytil is having a ridiculous year as the youngest player in the AHL. It’s on par with Nylander and Pastrnak.

I’m defenitely happy with Howden though. Tampa has good WHL scouts, and they know how to identify good players. I’m more stoked about having two guys in Lias and Brett that are absolute BITCHES to play against.

Fast, heavy north-south game baby. Some good ol’ fashioned American hockey.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ridiculous. Yeah lets be completely unwatchable horrendous for 5 years, worked so well for Buffalo right.

I'm not going to tell you what to prefer, but I don't care about being watchable or unwatchable. I care about the team having a chance to win the Stanley Cup. Keeping a few decent veterans when we aren't a contender does us little good. It probably actually hurts our chances to be good in a few years, considering we could get good assets for them, and they might keep us from being one of the worst teams in the league.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I rate Namestnikov over Miller, but the rest was just quantity over quality for McDonagh. Not a fan at all.

Also this boards servers are embarrassing. Shambolic, really after they hyped up the new site.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'm OK with the Miller for Namestikov part. Namestikov is a good player, sure he's propped up by his teammates, but it's not like Miller was blowing the doors off here. He's had several years in this organization and he's topping out as a 40 point player who shows up every 3 games.

I would have liked to see him under another coach but, as far as I can tell, Silverfish was right about him. Miller is slightly above average, that 50 point season form he had last year is non-existent this year

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
@Hunter Gathers I wouldn’t go that far yet. Chytil is having a ridiculous year as the youngest player in the AHL. It’s on par with Nylander and Pastrnak.

I’m defenitely happy with Howden though. Tampa has good WHL scouts, and they know how to identify good players. I’m more stoked about having two guys in Lias and Brett that are absolute *****ES to play against.

Fast, heavy north-south game baby. Some good ol’ fashioned American hockey.

I just love Howden. I covet players like that. Kid has a lot of Stepan in him, but is a much better straight-line skater.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I look at it this way...

If we were getting Sergachev then the deal would've been McDonagh for Sergachev and a 1st round pick.

Instead we got two bodies in Howden and Hajek, but also got the extra draft pick that could be another 1st round pick in 2019 or 2020. Stockpiling

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm OK with the Miller for Namestikov part. Namestikov is a good player, sure he's propped up by his teammates, but it's not like Miller was blowing the doors off here. He's had several years in this organization and he's topping out as a 40 point player who shows up every 3 games.

I would have liked to see him under another coach but, as far as I can tell, Silverfish was right about him. Miller is slightly above average, that 50 point season form he had last year is non-existent this year
That's the part that bothers me the most. Say what you will about Miller, Vlad has 4 more points playing with Stamkos and Kucherov all year. You can not think Miller is great, but I don't see how Vlad is better by any objective measure.

Reactions: Fvital92

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Not sure I like Miller for Namestnikov if the deal is broken down like that.

Also don't really like the 2nd that can turn into a 1st only if they win a Cup.

The prospects they received, I don't know enough about them, but I did not see anyone really talking them up all that much before they were traded here?

If someone were to do a 2016 redraft where would those guys go?

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
The Russian thing needs to slow down. I’m not a fan of too many. I know call me xenophobic. Did you guys see Buchnevich last night. What has he done or amounted to for us. Chill with the Russians

We also have TONS OF CAP SPACE NOW. Bring on EK in the offseason

Blueshirts777

May 8, 2017
If you take out that swap, I am fine with the deal. I cannot stand the Miller for Namestnikov swap, which looks like a move that AV would have influenced. Trade away whoever dares to throw a check for more skill.

Agree with this. JT Miller may be having a "bad" year but he still has 40 points on a talent deficient team and has one of the better faceoff win percentages on the team, in fact the best of his career by far. Namest is having the best year of his career but he's a year older then Miller on a stacked team. This has AV written on it

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No we didn't.
We obviously did.

We got a prospect, a 1st, and an NHL'er for two months of Nash.

Somehow we had to add Miller to get a similar return for a year and a half of McDonagh.

And Spooner is a better NHL'er than Namestnikov.

If this was the best option, then we traded McDonagh for the sake of trading him. That's the one thing I didn't want.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The Russian thing needs to slow down. I’m not a fan of too many. I know call me xenophobic. Did you guys see Buchnevich last night. What has he done or amounted to for us. Chill with the Russians

honestly yeah , you can't build a Russian core. Need some GOCB's and Americans , with some soft skilled euros as complimentary pieces.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
My feeling is this comes down to how the Rangers scouts like the prospects they picked up and whether they are right or wrong about their potential.

Random rankings on websites are pointless, is Hajek a C prospect or is he a diamond in the rough that's showing breakout potential? Is Howden a so so prospect or underrated because he doesn't look as sexy as some other picks? If a team isn't going to give you the surefire guys that are a half a step away from contributing in the NHL, then you have to look closely at what else there is and whether some of them are undervalued.

If the Rangers scouts are right and Howden and Hajek are better prospects than their "ranking", then it could be a real good trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad