Confirmed with Link: McDonagh + Miller to Tampa Bay for Namestnikov + Howden + Hajek + 2018 1st + conditional 2019 1st

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Let's ignore Miller and Namestnikov.

Are folks happy with the return of Howden, Hajek, a 1, and potentially another 1 for McD (let's pretend that Miller for Namestnikov was straight up in a vacuum)?

The overall deal is just a touch light to me, but I think that's only due to Miller. When I look at the deal without him, I'm perfectly content with it.
Yes, if this was for Mac straight up, I'd be fine

I wanted Miller traded, but moving him essentially for Vlad is upsetting

Should have at least got them to make the 2019 1st non conditional or something

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Are folks happy with the return of Howden, Hajek, a 1, and potentially another 1 for McD (let's pretend that Miller for Namestnikov was straight up in a vacuum)?

The overall deal is just a touch light to me, but I think that's only due to Miller. When I look at the deal without him, I'm perfectly content with it.

It’s a LITTLE light. The thing is that this is the best deal they were going to get. It wasn’t going to be any better at the draft or over the summer. And it wasn’t bad enough to say “we will just keep McDonagh.”

Howden, IMO, is as good of a prospect as Andersson and Chytil. Hajek is an A prospect too. Plus two picks in the top 60.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Again, why target C prospect like Howden when we have Lias and Filip? What?
I dunno. Why did Pittsburgh just trade for Brassard when they already have Crosby and Malkin?

There are multiple ways to build a contender. It starts with either ridiculously strong C depth or D depth. I'm guessing the Rangers are building down the middle right now.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Absolutely. I would have preferred Foote, but Hajek is a guy who projects with a ceiling as a potential top-pairing minute eater who is a perfect compliment to some of the puck movers we have, and probably will add at the draft.

Howden is the "get" for me and I've been saying it for a while. I think this kid is going to be an elite #2C who wears a letter and can play in all situations. He's a 6'3 Derek Stepan in the making.

I got a bit drunk on the deadline hype, but I was saying previously that the Rangers were likely going to target building blocks with their trades. Guys they felt were "sure things" to make the NHL and fill key roles. They'll swing for the fences at the draft for the high-skill, sexy prospects people are clamoring for right now.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It’s a LITTLE light. The thing is that this is the best deal they were going to get. It wasn’t going to be any better at the draft or over the summer. And it wasn’t bad enough to say “we will just keep McDonagh.”

Howden, IMO, is as good of a prospect as Andersson and Chytil. Hajek is an A prospect too. Plus two picks in the top 60.

I rank Howden above Chytil as of right now. Howden is fantastic.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Oh no Tampa fans didn't like him!

They're morons. I'm not super high on him either and his stats were for sure propped up by his teammates, but its not like Miller was lighting it up here.

Yes, everyone who watched a guy 82 games a season for years is a moron, knows much less than people who barely watched Tampa.

We got bent over, now fans are justifying it.

Gotta love other posts that people judging prospects by objective scouting reports are dumb. Because random guys with non-hockey jobs online know more about other team's prospects than hockey pros.

Notice how no Tampa fan is upset over what they lost.

Stats are not a predictor of anything at all, scouting repotts of hockey pros are useless, fans who followed these players/prospects for years are all morons, all of them. Everything is wrong if it doesn't pump up view of our future.

No negative info is ever accurate or a good predictor.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016

No that makes it worse actually. Howden is a b prospect and Hajec is a c prospect. The 1st will probably be late as well. Mcdounagh is a #1D, on a cheap deal for 2 years. They couldn't even get Foote, or Raddysh. I was content with the Nash and Grabner trade, but this trade will go down as the worst in the last 5 years of the Rangers.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
vlady I've seen alot of. in person.

he's point producer and a guy who can be counted on to play the pp. he's defensively responsible and very smart with and WITHOUT the puck. a quality player and imo, a better more talented player than jtm. he adds offensive skill which we lack.

adding both him and spooner who are smaller more talented players makes us more dangerous. those 2 guys are both solid adds.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I'm not just dumping on McDonagh because he got traded. But I had some pretty clear arguments with some posters on our board over the summer regarding their opinions McDonagh being a top 10 defensemen in the NHL.

Hes nowhere near as good as he was in 2012-14 and has taken a beating. Theres a reason he is always hurt come playoff time

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Think Miller was heads and shoulders above Namnistikov. Miller alone should have 2x as much value than a rental Nash.

The 1st round pick is basically a 2nd rounder. The 2nd is basically a 3rd.

Facts are that Ari got more for a rental Hanzal than Gorton could get for McD and a young stud in his prime in Miller.

The cap is going up a ton and there will be really hard to get your hands on good players. B-tier prospects and 2/3 round picks in principle for what we gave up is quite awful.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
NYR sending a terrible message to future players

1. Captains get traded on the reg
2. Once you hit 28 you're on the way out OR if you're nearing 30 with an expiring contract you're on the way out
3. No loyalty whatsoever to heart and soul guys. Trading McDonagh, Callahan, Nash, Miller, Grabner etc.. what's the incentive to give 110% for this team when they'll just trade you anyway?

Rebuilding is fine; what is not fine is amassing a bunch of late 1st round picks to replace guys like Nash and Miller, WHO YOU JUST TRADED AWAY TO GET THOSE PICKS.

This all makes negative sense unless the Rangers take some of these assets and move up for a top 3 pick. Literally no sense otherwise. They're not (well, weren't) that bad of a team where they needed a complete teardown. I would've been fine with just moving Nash, Holden and Grabner. This trade makes no sense to me
What in the hell are you talking about?

1. We have traded captains before. We traded Callahan and went on a cup run; didn't seem to affect the group or image of the organization

2. Every organization does this. I'd say the Rangers front office has been the most loyal to their guys by letting them have multiple shots at winning. The year they went to the cup they weren't lighting the world on fire and yet they chose to hold onto Stralman, Pouliot, and Boyle who all walked away in the offseason. While other teams would maximize on those assets, the rangers chose not to. They traded draft picks that could've been supporting this year's roster.

3. Would hardly call all of those guys heart and soul guys. Grabner only here for two years. Callahan got extremely greedy. Miller dogged it all year.

Thank god youre not running the team. They don't need to move into the top 3 with these picks to make these moves worthwhile. They need to stockpile the farm system with talent. Multiple bodies. Not banking on one draft pick to carry you.

These are the moves that were needed to be made.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Again, why target C prospect like Howden when we have Lias and Filip? What?
Because you increase your odds of getting a 1C. No guarantee that Lias or Filip become that guy. and of all 3 make it, then thats a good position to be in. Target wingers in the draft (after picking Dahlin, of course)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I guess thats fair value for McDonagh, but more in quantity than quality. Howden and Hajek are not top-end guys. They were available for a reason. If they were Sergachyov or Point, they wouldn't have been going. Foote was reportedly unavailable, a better player than both of them. Was Raddysh unavailable? What about all those forwards in the AHL? They aren't bad prospects, and I guess the return isn't far off in terms of overall value, but its more quantity than quality. I'd prefer quality over quantity. We've gotten a lot lot of middle of the lineup players in the last few days with Lindgren, Rykov, Howden, Namnestnikov, Spooner, Hajek. It would have been nice to add some elite players to the mix. The team is now completely tasked with getting those players through the draft, unless Zuccarello, Shattenkirk, Hayes, Spooner can return that at the draft.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Can't get on board with the Miller for Namestnikov swap. Infuriating that AV is here, and Miller got dealt. That's what turns this trade from ok to brutal for me.
If you take out that swap, I am fine with the deal. I cannot stand the Miller for Namestnikov swap, which looks like a move that AV would have influenced. Trade away whoever dares to throw a check for more skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad