Votes: 262 36.2%
  • Mcdavid

Votes: 462 63.8%

• Total voters

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Nice, did he lead the Leafs out of the first round this time?

Oh so Toronto made it to the second round in one of those years due to his efforts, yes?
Obviously you bumped this thread to bait people into an argument. You can go on bashing him if you want but you're not interested in any real conversation here and you're not worth anymore of my time.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
4 points in his last 5 games with a -3 is a good series? Best player in the series? Really?

The correct post would be "he had a good first 2 games then didn't show up when the team needed him to"
Yes. He was one of the best players in the series and outperformed Point/Kucherov/Stamkos. The series loss had nothing to do with him.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
In the regular season? It was really close, but it's obviously McDavid because I'm an Oilers fan. lol J/K

No, really if it were up to me I'd give the Hart to Shesterkin. 2nd place obviously McDavid and 3rd is Matthews.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Yes. He was one of the best players in the series and outperformed Point/Kucherov/Stamkos. The series loss had nothing to do with him.
This comment just solidifies the fact that you know Matthews isn't a game breaker, isn't someone that has the capability of carrying his team on his back. Guy has, what, 2A in his last 4 or 5 game 7s? Was completely invisible in G7 and mostly G6 (elimination games), and you say this has nothing to do with him? Well, of course it doesn't, because unless he's fed like a gerber baby, he doesn't really have anything to give outside of his otherworldly shot.

So yeah, I agree with you!

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Obviously you bumped this thread to bait people into an argument. You can go on bashing him if you want but you're not interested in any real conversation here and you're not worth anymore of my time.

Yeah how dare I bump the thread about McDavid vs. Matthews after McDavid outperforms Matthews by leaps and bounds at the most important time of year. Replies should only be allowed after positive “Awe-ston” moments… which means the thread will be dead for the next six months, so I guess see everyone next season for “Matthews vs. McDavid 2.0: I promise 34 is better for reals this time”!

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
This comment just solidifies the fact that you know Matthews isn't a game breaker, isn't someone that has the capability of carrying his team on his back. Guy has, what, 2A in his last 4 or 5 game 7s? Was completely invisible in G7 and mostly G6 (elimination games), and you say this has nothing to do with him? Well, of course it doesn't, because unless he's fed like a gerber baby, he doesn't really have anything to give outside of his otherworldly shot.

So yeah, I agree with you!
Doesn't provide anything other than his shot? Can people just stop giving me the worst takes about Matthews' game? I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Yeah how dare I bump the thread about McDavid vs. Matthews after McDavid outperforms Matthews by leaps and bounds at the most important time of year. Replies should only be allowed after positive “Awe-ston” moments… which means the thread will be dead for the next six months, so I guess see everyone next season for “Matthews vs. McDavid 2.0: I promise 34 is better for reals this time”!
You understand that most Leaf fans here don't think Matthews is better right? That includes me. McDavid had a great series and carried the Oilers. Matthews had a good series as well. The Lightning are also a SIGNIFICANTLY better team than the Oilers and Kings. Instead of just enjoying your series win and the fact you have the game's best player you're just here trying to stir the pot against fans that are heart broken. I'm not responding any more to you man so don't bother replying.

DraiInSeiderKuch

May 5, 2022
You understand that most Leaf fans here don't think Matthews is better right? That includes me. McDavid had a great series and carried the Oilers. Matthews had a good series as well. The Lightning are also a SIGNIFICANTLY better team than the Oilers and Kings. Instead of just enjoying your series win and the fact you have the game's best player you're just here trying to stir the pot against fans that are heart broken. I'm not responding any more to you man so don't bother replying.
Nah Oilers are a much better team then the Leafs. Since they changed coach they have a better record. But as you found out the last 6 years straight regular season success means nothing when your players wilt and choke in the playoffs like the Leafs do.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
If AM had scored a hattrick last night and Leafs won and Oilers had lost you'd all be in here saying AM has overtaken McDavid lol.

You and I both know that to be fact. I do agree though some of the posts here are in bad taste, I was rooting for the Leafs and Oilers to both win.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
McDavid's a better player. At the same time anyone propping him up using his series against a Doughty-Less Kings when Matthews was arguably the best player in the series against a much better team is being quite stupid themself.
What makes them a much better team? Or are you comparing TB to LA?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
LOL. This is a lot like a guy with 100 bucks rubbing it in the face of a guy with only 95.

McDavid is better. We like our guy just fine.
Try a guy with $1,000,000 to a guy with $1,000.

Matthews is an elite player. He's not even close to McDavid. McDavid is another universe from Matthews. It's kind of funny how many Leaf fans are actually convinced that there is an argument to be made that Matthews is close to McDavid. Like you must not watch McDavid play if you truly think that, and if you're not watching McDavid play, are you even a hockey fan? He is a top 5 talent of all time currently playing in an era where watching hockey is easier than ever. What the hell are you doing by not watching this guy as much as possible?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Try a guy with $1,000,000 to a guy with $1,000.

Matthews is an elite player. He's not even close to McDavid. McDavid is another universe from Matthews. It's kind of funny how many Leaf fans are actually convinced that there is an argument to be made that Matthews is close to McDavid. Like you must not watch McDavid play if you truly think that, and if you're not watching McDavid play, are you even a hockey fan? He is a top 5 talent of all time currently playing in an era where watching hockey is easier than ever. What the hell are you doing by not watching this guy as much as possible?
Yes, I'm sure people everywhere think McDavid is a thousand times better than Matthews. Thank you for that unique and balanced insight.

I do watch McDavid play, I think he's awesome. I've said he's better. I also know he does not have separation from his peers like Gretzky or Lemieux so I refuse to treat him that way. It's fine to like your guy best but you just turn everyone off when you pretend no one else has talented players.

Last edited:

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Yes, I'm sure sane people everywhere think McDavid is a thousand times better than Matthews. Thank you for that uniqee and balanced insight.
Yes, sane people who are knowledgeable about hockey and watch both of these players play regularly will tell you that it is not close between these two. That's not a slight at Matthews, nobody is close to McDavid. I'm not sure why Leaf fans are so insistent on taking that as a slight on their player.

Reactions: PostBradMalone

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Yes, sane people who are knowledgeable about hockey and watch both of these players play regularly will tell you that it is not close between these two. That's not a slight at Matthews, nobody is close to McDavid. I'm not sure why Leaf fans are so insistent on taking that as a slight on their player.
Show me a respected source that says that and I will concede the point.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
If you're including playoffs I don't know how you can make a reasonable argument for Matthews.

Matthews
80 GP 64 G 51 A 115 P

McDavid
89 GP 50 G 93 A 143 P

McDavid is 28 points ahead, while playing about 2 tiers above in the playoffs.

Matthews has 33 career playoff points. McDavid is already at 20 this year.

Reactions: tacogeoff

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022

Try NHL.com, which will show you McDavid having as many assists per year as Matthews had points this year. Even with inflated scoring across the board, Mr. “$95” still finished 17 points back.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Try NHL.com, which will show you McDavid having as many assists per year as Matthews had points this year. Even with inflated scoring across the board, Mr. “$95” still finished 17 points back.
Yeah, I'd feel so bad about it if he didn't score goals like Ovechkin....

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
people really pretending that the 51 goals in 50 games centre was an absurd opinion during the season lol

McDavid has beasted in the playoffs and absolutely deserves to be #1 on any list at this point.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
A respected source? Are you not knowledgeable enough about hockey that you can form your own opinions after watching them play?

I'm sure you can ask many former and current plays or hockey staff "who is the best player in the NHL?" and all of them will say "Connor McDavid", and I'm willing to bet quite a few will add "not close" right afterwards. Just last night the Sportsnet panel, owned by the Leafs, were saying how nobody in the league is close to McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad