Votes: 262 36.2%
  • Mcdavid

Votes: 462 63.8%

• Total voters

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Selke level defense (which is actually an insult to the level of defense being played by Matthews) vs. a guy who wouldn't recognize his d-men if he ran into them on the street.

Nuff said.
The ironic thing about this is that McDavid has a better +/- than Matthews this season, despite his teams goal differential being vastly inferior. I still voted for Matthews (so far) but McDavid is heating up.

Reactions: Brad C and KlefDown

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Selke level defense (which is actually an insult to the level of defense being played by Matthews) vs. a guy who wouldn't recognize his d-men if he ran into them on the street.

Nuff said.
same could be said for Matthews and his wingers, does he know how to pass a puck?

making plays and assisting your teammates for goals is just as important as playing defense, which Matthews doesn't do much of either.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
McDavid. Leaf fans are about to flock in to talk about how poor defensively he is. Seems to be the "go to" in order to prop Matthews up, but in reality, McDavid is very average defensively if not slightly above average.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews so far, could change by the end if McDavid goes 2 ppg the rest of the way though. McDavid is not bad defensively, but Matthews is better than most people think and our goaltending this season is the only thing people can cling to now to doubt his two-way play.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Matthews so far, could change by the end if McDavid goes 2 ppg the rest of the way though. McDavid is not bad defensively, but Matthews is better than most people think and our goaltending this season is the only thing people can cling to now to doubt his two-way play.

As opposed to the Vezina level goaltending that McDavid has benefited from?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
As opposed to the Vezina level goaltending that McDavid has benefited from?

Unless you're stating that McDavid is a better defensive player? Matthews has a worse save% from his goalie than McDavid when he's been on the ice by a significant margin.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I had AM ahead before this 5-0-1 stretch of must win games with McDavid putting up 12 points (6 goals too). It's really close though, not mad with anyone who votes AM he's having a hell of a year and in my mind has surpassed MacK as the 2nd best forward in the World right now.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Unless you're stating that McDavid is a better defensive player? Matthews has a worse save% from his goalie than McDavid when he's been on the ice by a significant margin.

I just think it's a stretch to act like McDavid gets an advantage because of goaltending. The Oilers' goaltending has been a season long HF meme.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Always McDavid and not close. Over any other player.
OP is only asking who has had better season so far, not who's better, who will be better, who do you take going forward etc.

Unless you're saying McDavid is having a better season than anyone in the NHL this year, than that's fine, it's just not the case this year (IMO of course).

Reactions: Bob Barker

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Doesn't seem like he was stating that all. But the defensive gap between the two is significantly over blown (largely by Leaf fans in hf threads). McDavid is average to slightly above average defensively while Matthews is good defensively.

Reactions: Dache

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
After starting the season on the DL and then taking a few games to games to get in-game shape after no training camp, here are Matthews numbers:

Matthews since October 26th:
Goals per game: .849 (1st in the NHL)
Points per game: 1.472 (1st in the NHL)
Takeaways: 1st in the NHL
Faceoff win%: Top 10 in the league

Just an animal this season really

Matthews
McDavid
Shesterkin

for the Hart noms is a no brainer this year.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Doesn't seem like he was stating that all. But the defensive gap between the two is significantly over blown (largely by Leaf fans in hf threads). McDavid is average to slightly above average defensively while Matthews is good defensively.

See that's the problem, Matthews isn't just good defensively lol

• Haha
Reactions: Backcheckmonster3

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I just think it's a stretch to act like McDavid gets an advantage because of goaltending. The Oilers' goaltending has been a season long HF meme.

Yeah but someone posted the stats in a thread not long ago, someone can correct me if I'm wrong but McDavid's on ice save% was well above 900 so his goalies are performing better when he's on the ice and Matthews is basically right in line with our under .900% for every month this season except November. If you go back to his previous seasons I'm pretty sure Matthews had less goals against but yet he wasn't on the level he's been at this season on a consistent basis in two-way play. So unless I'm wrong here or those stats posted were completely false then that is literally the reason for it lol

I know you admitted recently that Matthews is a good to very good defensive player, and McDavid is an average to maybe good. Plus Matthews is scoring about as many goals as humanly possible from any player in the NHL this season. The gap in their points per game does not make up for that so far.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Yeah but someone posted the stats in a thread not long ago, someone can correct me if I'm wrong but McDavid's on ice save% was well above 900 so his goalies are performing better when he's on the ice and Matthews is basically right in line with our under .900% for every month this season except November. If you go back to his previous seasons I'm pretty sure Matthews had less goals against but yet he wasn't on the level he's been at this season on a consistent basis in two-way play. So unless I'm wrong here or those stats posted were completely false then that is literally the reason for it lol

I know you admitted recently that Matthews is a good to very good defensive player, and McDavid is an average to maybe good. Plus Matthews is scoring about as many goals as humanly possible from any player in the NHL this season. The gap in their points per game does not make up for that so far.
you do realize on ice save % is not a definitive stat

McDavid and company could be better at playing his position and his man, hence making the save easier for his goalie

if Matthews and linemates have a horrible on ice save %, it could be because he's allowing unchecked shots to go through to his goalie more often which results in a lower save %

or if you just want to admit Oilers defense is superior to Leafs and Koski/Smith are vezina caliber goalies thats fine with me too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad