McDavid or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Why are we just assuming that Matthews "ends up a 100+ point player"?

Why can't we? Is that not the whole point of threads on a board full of opinions. Its not like I said "Hey, if John Scott had a 100 point year" It is in the realm of possibility.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Fair enough, but it was 100 percent not a comparison of two players, it was more about whats your personal preference.

I see that but you're you're making us compare McDavid to a player that doesn't exist. Maybe that player will exist in near future but right now, he's fiction. I understand where you are wanting to go with the thread but it's not really set up in a way that it'll work.

If Matthews improves a lot offensively (which he needs to do in order to post 100+ point Art Ross win) why don't we expect McDavid to improve similarly too?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
So the premise of the OP is, assume both players produce 100 points, who would you rather have? That's kind of ignoring a big part of why McDavid's the better player.

So speed and decisions at that speed? So yes that would be an opinion, It was what I was asking, not who is better..

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
If Matthews becomes a 100+ point player then it would be fair to take him because his game probably translates better to the playoffs when the refs swallow the whistles. That is a very big if though, and a week or two of the Leafs being super hot and the Oilers being ice cold is not nearly enough to think that this might actually happen. McDavid outscored Matthews by 31 points last year.

I don't think many people believe McDavid is in a tier of his own - he is in the top tier with Crosby and Karlson imo, with guys like Malkin, Kane and a couple others just slightly behind. Matthews looks like he will soon join that second group.

Reactions: DanM

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Why can't we? Is that not the whole point of threads on a board full of opinions. Its not like I said "Hey, if John Scott had a 100 point year" It is in the realm of possibility.

You can if you want.

I'd rather live in reality, where only 3 players have had 100 point seasons since the last lockout with none coming in the same season(Crosby, Kane, McDavid). And they all only did it once.

Reactions: tacogeoff

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
hahahaha. 4 games. It took 4 games into the season to make this thread. wow.

Again, not a thread comparing players, I just asked what people thought. Man, I have always been in the Mcdavid camp, It was just an honest question.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not a comparison thread, It was if both had the same production, who has the preferred playing style, hence why I wrote it in the first post.
but they don't have the same production. Why not just say "who do you like watching play more?" or something rather than force a comparison

CF84

I want to go home, O I want to go home!
Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
it would be great if the Leafs had Matthews and Eichel and Laine and McDavid purely so we could stop with the comparison threads

No, it would be wonderful if the Leafs had none of these players so we could stop with the comparison threads...or any good players for that matter.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
If Matthews becomes a 100+ point player then it would be fair to take him because his game probably translates better to the playoffs when the refs swallow the whistles. That is a very big if though, and a week or two of the Leafs being super hot and the Oilers being ice cold is not nearly enough to think that this might actually happen. McDavid outscored Matthews by 31 points last year.

I don't think many people believe McDavid is in a tier of his own - he is in the top tier with Crosby and Karlson imo, with guys like Malkin, Kane and a couple others just slightly behind. Matthews looks like he will soon join that second group.

Thats all I was asking. I know who is better right now, I am not stupid lol Just asking what people thought.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
No, it would be wonderful if the Leafs had none of these players so we could stop with the comparison threads...or any good players for that matter.

Not a comparison thread

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
Well I think Matthews is a better player than Mcdavid so I would take Matthews. Mcdavid is more one-dimensional than Matthews. In playoffs when opposition concentrates hard on shutting down Mcdavid they take away his speed game. Matthews is a total package. Unbelievable cycle game, great shot, great on the rush etc.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Not any more homerish than the OP's make believe post. The posts timing seems awfully suspect as well.

Dude, pretty insulting. It's not that crazy of a thread. Hell, I am not even comparing them. I know Mcdavid is better right now, I love watching the kid play, a lot.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
yeah that one is a bit of a head scratcher

I literally didn't mean it like that at all. I was honestly just asking a question, again, I am a huge fan of Mcdavid, It was only a question of team preference and fit. Take it as you like, not like I can change a persons mind.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Mathews has a different skill set then Mcdavid. Mcdavids speed with and without the puck are what has helped him score over 100 points last year. He is just an amazing talent. But Matthews has his own set of skills that has him right there with McDavid despite the crys of protest from Oiler fans. Matthews is only 4 goals back of McDavids career total in 40 plus less games played. At some point this needs to be acknowledged.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Dude, pretty insulting. It's not that crazy of a thread. Hell, I am not even comparing them. I know Mcdavid is better right now, I love watching the kid play, a lot.

Sorry if I sounded harsh but these threads have been done ad nauseam both here and on the polls board.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
You obviously don't understand what the word comparison means.

Really? So if I said "A player and B player score at a similar rate, but you are choosing a player to fit your team needs" that is a direct comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad