McDavid is 3rd in points while Edmonton is 28th in NHL

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Eesh. Everybody in the media absolutely loved Ovechkin except for a couple of knobs who thought he was too exuberant. I don't see the Russia v Canada thing in this case being relevant.
Cherry, Milbury, and Peeair (who has a love affair w/87, figuratively speaking) have always loved Sid more than Ovi. That's more than a couple of knobs right there. And those three have lots of exposure/influence. I'm sure there are more.

Of course the general media gave Ovi his due, they had little to no choice given 8s dynamic play. Proof to me that the Canadian establishment was biased against Ovi is when they started excessively criticizing his "on the edge" play.
You know like good ol' Canadian greats Howe and Messier played :skeptic:

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
This topic is not for "bashing Oilers". But yeah, people brought it here anyway. Downside of freedom of speech you know.

Oh please. This happens in every sport: great players play on not-so-great teams. So what?

And we all know that a 2 to 3 week spurt of good play gets any NHL team into a playoff spot. But yeah, it's bash the oilers if you must feel unappreciated... o_O

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Cherry, Milbury, and Peeair (who has a love affair w/87, figuratively speaking) have always loved Sid more than Ovi. That's more than a couple of knobs right there. And those three have lots of exposure/influence. I'm sure there are more.

Of course the general media gave Ovi his due, they had little to no choice given 8s dynamic play. Proof to me that the Canadian establishment was biased against Ovi is when they started excessively criticizing his "on the edge" play.
You know like good ol' Canadian greats Howe and Messier played :skeptic:

Cherry and Milbury are total knobs so I feel like that is point proven for me.

Anyways, the narrative you are trying to craft is false. There was no "lazy soft Russian" stuff. Ovechkin was the literal exception to the rule on that count. Media and commentators went out of their way to label his game and style of play as "North American".

If you want to pick out a few dinosaurs, one of whom is famous for his terrible GM record, and the other a Canadian Archie Bunker then that is your prerogative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad