McDavid is 3rd in points while Edmonton is 28th in NHL

BakedYams

Jan 14, 2017
7 out of 13 Edmonton's victories were ones, where the team scored 5 or more goals. McDavid scored 16 points in those 7 games and 23 points in other 24 games. It doesn't look bad on the first glance, but considering how thin Edmonton is as to the offensive power, no wonder it sucks. If McDavid scored 10 points in those 7 games and 29 points in those 24 games, the team would probably do much better, but he didn't, so it looks like Edmonton will get another chance to win the 1st OA.

He should really start saving some of his points for when they matter.

Reactions: Smart Alek

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Both were rookies who were expected to improve. OV had the better rookie season but that didn't make him necesarily better. He had almost 2 years in age and 4 years of pro and international experience on Crosby in their rookie seasons. Crosby had created a gap after their 2nd season.

Crosby had one better season than Ovi in their first 5 years in the league, 2006-2007.

2005-2006: Ovi 52 goals, 106 points. Crosby 39 goals, 102 points.
2007-2008: Ovi 65 goals, 112 points. Crosby 24 goals, 72 points (shortened to 53 games)
2008-2009: Ovi 56 goals, 110 points. Crosby 33 goals, 103 points.
2009-2010: Ovi 50 goals, 109 points. Crosby 51 goals, 109 points (played in 9 more games than Ovi though ;))

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Crosby had one better season than Ovi in their first 5 years in the league, 2006-2007.

2005-2006: Ovi 52 goals, 106 points. Crosby 39 goals, 102 points.
2007-2008: Ovi 65 goals, 112 points. Crosby 24 goals, 72 points (shortened to 53 games)
2008-2009: Ovi 56 goals, 110 points. Crosby 33 goals, 103 points.
2009-2010: Ovi 50 goals, 109 points. Crosby 51 goals, 109 points (played in 9 more games than Ovi though ;))

How many cups? But honestly Ovi has never been able to beat Crosby in any big stage. WJC, WC, OLY, Playoffs,etc. Ovy might be the greatest goal scorer ever. Awhile Crosby is a much more all around player.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
That’s why you don’t pay a single player that much, it’s a team sport and a cap world. And his cap hasn’t even kicked in yet...

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
How many cups? But honestly Ovi has never been able to beat Crosby in any big stage. WJC, WC, OLY, Playoffs,etc. Ovy might be the greatest goal scorer ever. Awhile Crosby is a much more all around player.
Cups or "big stage" was never the question. For the first 5 years both were in the league, Ovechkin dominated Crosby in goals, points, pace, and trophies. It's just a fact. Ovechkin was the best player in the world for the first five years he was in the league. Crosby was amazing as well, and that's why this entire rivalry started, but Ovechkin was dominating just a slight bit more than Crosby.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
One goal can be the tiebreaker, hardly a ringing endorsement for goalscoring being that much more important than playmaking.

That being said, in the Crosby vs. OV debate, Crosby has proven he is by far the more versatile offensive talent with goalscoring and assist titles in the regular season and in the playoffs while playing with a much lower depth linemates than any other forward and playing a very good 2-way game.

OV's superior goalscoring numbers is a moot point in a discussion about Crosby.

It still is.

This has nothing to do with Crosby vs Ovechkin, it was about goals vs assists.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Both were rookies who were expected to improve. OV had the better rookie season but that didn't make him necesarily better. He had almost 2 years in age and 4 years of pro and international experience on Crosby in their rookie seasons. Crosby had created a gap after their 2nd season.

As for the playoffs, almost twice as many games and tougher opponents make the comparison in Crosby's favour. Crosbv had the better 1st and 2nd round stats during that time period.

Age difference is easily offset by Ovechkin having to adjust to a new culture, style of game, language, etc. Actually I'd argue OV was at a bigger disadvantage.

Yeah, I said Crosby for playoffs. But the gap in regular season was way, way bigger. This is basically common sense, I've only seen extreme Crosby fans argue otherwise.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Good for him, also the Oilers are starting to come around. Wins in 2 of their last 3 and looking dominant again, let's see if they can pick it up and still make the playoffs. I think they can.

Dominant again?

When we they dominant in the 1st place?

And now two wins in 3 games makes you dominant?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
As a Russian I really want to know what is wrong with McDavid? Is he secretly a lazy Russian like Ovechkin? Will he ever make a playoff again? After reading HFBoard I came to conclusion that the only explanation is his obvious lack of mental toughness, leadership and intangibles. Also, all his points means nothing, cause his team is not winning. He is scoring only when it is not important. When it really matters he never scores.

Did I miss something? I mean it is the only possible explanation. I am sure I cannot be wrong.

lol do you watch the Oilers play. They dominate games , its been a series of bad luck, and some of his teammates regressing this season. They are slowly turning it around. McDavid definitely does not lack mental toughness or leadership skills. He is 20 going on 21 this season and already one of the games greats. a 29 game segment in his second full season does not indicate anything.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
lol do you watch the Oilers play. They dominate games , its been a series of bad luck, and some of his teammates regressing this season. They are slowly turning it around. McDavid definitely does not lack mental toughness or leadership skills. He is 20 going on 21 this season and already one of the games greats.
Lol no they don't. Your defense is brutal and just completely breaks down at odd times. The Oilers are bad because they're bad, not because of luck.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Clearly their solution to this predicament is to trade Connor to Toronto for Bozak so they can drop to 31st and hopefully get a new franchise player to build around.

Last edited:

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
Edmonton may still make the playoffs.

But as of now I say Stamkos is favorite. Captain return leading scorer and top team in league. That's a ton of narrative in his favor. If McDavid wins the Ross but Stamkos is really close I'd still make him favorite (even if Edmonton makes playoffs).
I think Kucherov is having the better season... but that's a different argument...

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Lol no they don't. Your defense is brutal and just completely breaks down at odd times. The Oilers are bad because they're bad, not because of luck.
Also they fall behind regularly and push to catch up in games, like all trailing teams do. They have no depth and it's painfully obvious

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Takes more than one player. We saw Tavares carry the islanders on his back for years with nothing to show for it. You need other players to step up.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I get it, you love seeing the Oilers fail... my point stands, its somewhere in between your 2 opinions. Again, it's 1/3 of a season. Probably too soon to tell who is 'more correct'
Why would I give a shit about the Oilers?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I get it, you love seeing the Oilers fail... my point stands, its somewhere in between your 2 opinions. Again, it's 1/3 of a season. Probably too soon to tell who is 'more correct'
Not really. This first 1/3 of the season is independent from the rest and TMM is correct whether that changes down the line or not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad