Friedman: McDavid close to signing 8 year, $13.25M per deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
100% BS!

Crosby's first big contract after this ELC (started in 2008):
- 5 years at $8.7M (signed from age 21-25)
- 2008 Salary cap was $56.7M.
- 20% of the Salary cap was $11.34M
- Crosby took 15.3% of the salary cap in 2008

Crosby's next contract (started in 2013):
- 12 years at $8.7M (signed from age 26-37)
- 2013 Salary cap was $64.3M
- 20% of the Salary cap was $12.86M
- Crosby took 13.5% of the Salary cap in 2013

2017 Salary Cap: $75M
- McDavid's contract at $13.25M is 17.7% of the Salary Cap.

Nobody is trying to "bash" McDavid. Were just putting things in perspective and how this is going to hurt the Oilers with cap space. Your getting sensitive about it.

You do know you use different methodology for each of those contracts?

For example if you go with cap hit when contract started then McDavid number is incorrect because we do not know what the cap hit will be for 2018-19 season yet. It could be higher, way higher, around the same or may even get lower.

Even when comparing Crosby's first and second contract there is a problem with how they are structured (first Crosby contract would be allowed under the new CBA, second one would violate it with both length and salary structure). The closest (but still imperfect) comparison in contract under new CBA would be 10.8M cap hit for 8 years for second one.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Buying out Lucic would be a $4M cap hit for 12 years! Don't think they do that. lol

Yikes! Scratch that then.
I suppose they'll have to retain or add prime assets to move him without taking back salary.
I doubt there are many teams who would take him at $6 mill without sending a bad deal back.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You do know you use different methodology for each of those contracts?

For example if you go with cap hit when contract started then McDavid number is incorrect because we do not know what the cap hit will be for 2018-19 season yet. It could be higher, way higher, around the same or may even get lower.

Even when comparing Crosby's first and second contract there is a problem with how they are structured (first Crosby contract would be allowed under the new CBA, second one would violate it with both length and salary structure). The closest (but still imperfect) comparison in contract under new CBA would be 10.8M cap hit for 8 years for second one.

Your searching.

1. Crosby also signed his contracts before his current deal expired.

2. The Cap has increased $2M per year over the last 3 years. Nobody knows how much the cap increases but these is the latest trend. Why would we expect anything else?

You likely changed some numbers in my previous post by 0.5%. You proved nothing but your ability to search for MacDavid to cash in more than what Crosby did.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I suppose they'll have to retain or add prime assets to move him without taking back salary.
I doubt there are many teams who would take him at $6 mill without sending a bad deal back.

Hard to say what the Oilers do. But I think most would agree RNH or Lucic (or both) would be moved to create cap space. Oilers don't have to do anything this year as the cap problems only start next year.

On previous thread, I proposed a RNH for Gallagher trade (to help out the Oilers with cap and help the Habs with our center problem) and this didn't go well for some Oilers fans. I think the proposal was this...

Oilers trade:
- RNH (Habs take all the salary... 4 years at $6M)
- 2018 2nd round pick

Habs Trade:
- Gallagher (4 years left at $3.75M)
- Plekanec (1 year left at $6M) * Habs would probably be willing to retain some salary if needed.
- Hudon could also be added (2 year deal at $650k)

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
100% BS!

- Crosby took 15.3% of the salary cap in 2008 at age 21

- Crosby took 13.5% of the Salary cap in 2013 at age 26

Nobody is trying to "bash" McDavid. Were just putting things in perspective and how this is going to hurt the Oilers with cap space. Your getting sensitive about it.

Your numbers are presented in a skewed way. When Crosby signed his 5/8.7 per contract (2008), he signed an extension in 2007. Your numbers show the % for when that 8.7 contract kicked in but does not account for when the signing took place.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Never thought McDavid was the greedy type to handcuff the organization.

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017

Why would the Oil try to buy out or trade a useful 50 point PF?

RNH is the guy who will go eventually. Can't have a 6 Million 3rd line C

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Your numbers are presented in a skewed way. When Crosby signed his 5/8.7 per contract (2008), he signed an extension in 2007. Your numbers show the % for when that 8.7 contract kicked in but does not account for when the signing took place.

I agree. Like I said.... your changing my numbers by like 0.5%. Congrats for catching this ;). Your point is being presented in a skewed way of saying my numbers would be affected dramatically

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
100% BS!

When you talk about Crosby's percentage of the cap when the contract started as opposed to when it was signed, and compare it to McDavid's percentage of the cap before the the contract is signed as opposed to when it starts, it makes it look like you either dont understand how the contracts work, or youre purposely trying to skew the numbers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would the Oil try to buy out or trade a useful 50 point PF?

RNH is the guy who will go eventually. Can't have a 6 Million 3rd line C

Evaluate the Cap over the next 3 years. RNH is likely the guy traded. Lucic may have to be traded as well. Hard to say but the numbers are very close and things can change over the next 3 years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When you talk about Crosby's percentage of the cap when the contract started as opposed to when it was signed, and compare it to McDavid's percentage of the cap before the the contract is signed as opposed to when it starts, it makes it look like you either dont understand how the contracts work, or youre purposely trying to skew the numbers.

Ok... How about you re-post and show your own numbers and how you think they are much different than what I posted? You can say there is a difference but your failing to show how much difference This is what I am trying to tell you but you either don't understand or your purposely trying to not understand the difference between what I posted and what your saying is a very very minor difference.

Hey, if Oilers fans want to justify a $13.25M contract don't hurt the Oilers cap, go right ahead. This is not about greed of money form McDavid. This is about allowing your GM to keep the team competitive and winning Stanley Cups.

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
100% BS!

Just a couple corrections on what you posted.

Crosby signed his first extension under a cap of $50.3 million ($17.29%). It went into effect when the cap jumped to $56.7 million.

Crosby's 2nd extension is irrelevant because it is beyond the constraints of the current CBA and was based off of three back diving contract years at the very end of the contract. If you restrict the contract to just the max years allowed, Crosby hits the 18% range.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Ok... How about you re-post and show your own numbers and how you think they are much different than what I posted? You can say there is a difference but your failing to show how much difference This is what I am trying to tell you but you either don't understand or your purposely trying to not understand the difference between what I posted and what your saying is a very very minor differance

Youre asking me to calculate against numbers that arent known yet?

Sorry man, you ****ed up the calcs and got called on it. Do a better job next time and you wont get so many similar responses.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

For reference,

The 07-08 Cap (Crosby signed in July of 07), was 50.3. his 8.7 Would make 17.3% of the cap at time of signing, which is just about where McDavid's is.

A bit different than the poster suggested (.5%), but minor details don't really matter, right?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just a couple corrections on what you posted.

Crosby signed his first extension under a cap of $50.3 million ($17.29%). It went into effect when the cap jumped to $56.7 million.

Crosby's 2nd extension is irrelevant because it is beyond the constraints of the current CBA and was based off of three back diving contract years at the very end of the contract. If you restrict the contract to just the max years allowed, Crosby hits the 18% range.

Crosby's 2nd contract is relevant. Give your head a shake

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Youre asking me to calculate against numbers that arent known yet?

Sorry man, you ****ed up the calcs and got called on it. Do a better job next time and you wont get so many similar responses.

Add $2M in cap increase per season? That's the norm from the last 3 years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For reference,

The 07-08 Cap (Crosby signed in July of 07), was 50.3. his 8.7 Would make 17.3% of the cap at time of signing, which is just about where McDavid's is.

A bit different than the poster suggested (.5%), but minor details don't really matter, right?

The Cap was very low back in 2007. Rumors of cap increasing substantially back when were legit vs the cap increasing substantially today. The cap today has settled and it's hard to say how much more it will increase.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The Cap was very low back in 2007. Rumors of cap increasing substantially back when were legit vs the cap increasing substantially today. The cap today has settled and it's hard to say how much more it will increase.

Not arguing cap volatility, I left my crystal ball at home.

Just talking strictly facts. When Crosby signed his contract, his deal took 17.3 % of the current cap, not the 15.X as you stated. McDavids rumored contract is in that same range. They are similar contracts.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I agree. Like I said.... your changing my numbers by like 0.5%. Congrats for catching this ;). Your point is being presented in a skewed way of saying my numbers would be affected dramatically

By putting 0.5% you're showing that you don't really know what you're talking about, so i'm going to disagree that my point was presented in a skewed way.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
The rumored AAV seems insane to me, I get that he's outstanding but that's a lot of cap and salary tied up in one guy and it raises expectations for the Oilers other top players. 9-10 AAV would help the Oilers put talent around him and he'd still be getting tons of cash and undoubtedly has sponsorship deals to make up the difference. As a Blues fan I would love to see them tie up that much money, but that would suck for the Oilers who need to ice a team around him.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Add $2M in cap increase per season? That's the norm from the last 3 years.

This year theres a new team adding to the revenue stream. How does that factor in? Plus the Leafs (one of the most profitable team in the league) is on a huge upswing. How does that factor in? Whats the economy going to do this year in both countries (Canada is apparently on a 3.3% surge the US grew 1.4% - via quick Google search).

So yeah, theres a reason why people are comparing against known numbers. But if you addressed that in your original post, no-one would call you out on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad