Friedman: McDavid close to signing 8 year, $13.25M per deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Wow. Good to lock him up for 8 years but that's like no discount at all and he's not even UFA yet! It's tough to win a Cup with that kind of cap hit.

How is that not a discount??

Did I miss something and the max dropped from 15M to 13.5M?

What other player will ever deserve to get a max salary if not 20 year old McDavid?

He is getting less than Crosby was back in 2007 if we are looking at the % of the cap he is taking.

Good deal for the Oilers if true. And good for McDavid and the NHLPA. The days of cap circumvention are over and the highend guys should finally hurt your cap the way it was intended.

Will be interesting what happens with Draisaitl after that. Really hope someone throws an offersheet for 9M+ his way. Let the Oilers work for that cup that McDavid will win them regardless sometime in the future.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It doesn't matter what they pay McDavid. What matters is how much they pay Draisatl. His numbers away from McDavid tell their own story. And McDavid doesn't need 8 million dollar wingers.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
if big Leon gets 7 mill, that's nearly 21 million on two players. See what is happening to Chicago with Toews/Kane and their combined 21 mill?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
can you build a championship team when you have one player absorbing what, 17% of the salary cap? he's gonna ****ing cripple them.

if that one player is McDavid? sure he just about got Edmonton to the playoffs by himself in his 2nd pro season

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Only 17.66% of the cap.

Pretty sure Crosby was 18% of the cap when he signed the 8.7x12 deal, and that sure hasn't crippled them, even with Malkin making more money.

The cap will most likely go up, and this contract will probably look like a steal in 5 years.

The cap was easily expected to rise from its low level back then. There is no certainty of an increase of that magnitude based on these last few years of NHL cap ceilings.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Crosby signed on to an $8.7 cap hit following a season where he put up 120 points in 79 games, and then re-upped on that cap hit for 12 more years. There is something to be said for a guy who understands making room on the team for a supporting cast.

You also cant sign 12 year contracts anymore. You think Crosby would have taken an 8x 8.7 back then?

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Crosby signed on to an $8.7 cap hit following a season where he put up 120 points in 79 games, and then re-upped on that cap hit for 12 more years. There is something to be said for a guy who understands making room on the team for a supporting cast.

Crosby and McDavid aren't comparable here, because Crosby's contract was made during the old CBA. If you take the last three bogus years off of Crosby's contract, the contract's annual cap hit adjusts to over $10 million. That would've been a huge AAV in 2013, when the salary cap was much smaller than it is today...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
that's a lot of money for a 20 year old

Not a regular 20 year old, wouldn't you say?

With that said, I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't take a more team friendly deal.
Good luck to Toronto and Winnipeg with Matthews and Laine now. This sets the market.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
if McDavid was a real teammate and cared about winning he would take and settle for 9.7 per like Sid settled for 8.7

If you did some research, you would know that the cap was in 56.7m that season, not 75m like it is now. McDavid is taking a higher percentage, but he's also signing a longer deal, which will even it out by the end.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
can you build a championship team when you have one player absorbing what, 17% of the salary cap? he's gonna ****ing cripple them.

At this point I have to imagine that you're just joking around to get a reaction.

You do realize who the Pittsburgh Penguins are right?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think that's going to make it difficult for the Oilers to surround McD with all the talent necessary to win a Cup for the first few years after his deal kicks in.

It was tough for the Pens to do it when Sid and Geno signed their 2nd contracts too.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
He's worth that much but I'll go on record saying that if the cap doesn't raise significantly, the Oilers will not win a Cup while they have him under contract.
The new NHL is based on depth.

member 157595

Lol probably close to $21 million between Draisaitl and McDavid enjoy being in cap hell for a long time Oiler fans you guys still need to upgrade your D here. You'll be just like the Hawks in a few years.

And if they win 3 ****ing Stanley Cups, who gives a damn?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
McDavid and Drai both locked up for 9 and 8 seasons respectively allows full control on how to build the team for nearly a decade and these players will be in their prime through all of it

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Not in Toronto with Lou there. :handclap:

Can he ask for it? Absolutely.

Lou has no leverage though, if Matthews holds out the fans will riot until Lamoriello gives in and signs him to what he's worth.

Or Matthews will just take a short deal and the Leafs will have to re-sign him again.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

YUUUUUUUGE if true.

PC is an idiot if this is true. I get that this kid is the next generational talent but he has proven nothing in terms of winning. Both Kane and Toews got paid after winning multiple cups, Kopitar the same. This signing if true handcuffs his team and no puts a gun to every GM's in the NHL with an up and coming team/players.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I am not worried about Matthews making 13.25 as McDavid is just slightly above him in terms of talent and also Edm is a stupid organization that also gave Russell 4x4 knowing they had to resign Drai and Mcdavid

I think Matthews takes the Stamkos and Crosby approach and sees that if you take the max your team will suck as you can't build with 1 guy eating up the cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad