Friedman: McDavid close to signing 8 year, $13.25M per deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Of course he's taking 8. Not sure why that's considered a huge win or ever in doubt. I would imagine that when this deal ends, $13.25M is still going to make him the highest paid player in the game.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Crosby signed on to an $8.7 cap hit following a season where he put up 120 points in 79 games, and then re-upped on that cap hit for 12 more years. There is something to be said for a guy who understands making room on the team for a supporting cast.

McDavids cap hit is same % as Crosbys in 07....

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Crosby signed on to an $8.7 cap hit following a season where he put up 120 points in 79 games, and then re-upped on that cap hit for 12 more years. There is something to be said for a guy who understands making room on the team for a supporting cast.

Crosby signed for more in relation to the cap than McDavid if he does indeed get $13.25M.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's not going to get anywhere near 13.25 mill.

He's not getting 13M but he's going to get over 10M if he keeps this up.

What does this do for Draisaitl. He isn't going to be okay with 7 million. As good as McDavid is (arguably the greatest out there) there's no way Draisaitl is going to agree to take half of what McDavid will make for the next 8 years.

This looks very bad for Edmonton.
Drai's comparisons around the league are signed around 6M, and then 13M for McDavid.

It will be a challenge for Edmonton to afford quality depth, so they have to keep their picks and keep drafting. But I doubt that will happen.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
if McDavid was a real teammate and cared about winning he would take and settle for 9.7 per like Sid settled for 8.7

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
And to think we scoffed when we gave Eberle and Hopkins 6M per season.
Edmonton has 4 years to win a cup and then it's all over. :(

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Wow. Good to lock him up for 8 years but that's like no discount at all and he's not even UFA yet! It's tough to win a Cup with that kind of cap hit.

According to twitter, this makes 9.5 the "unmatchable" number for a Draisaitl offer sheet, without Edmonton quickly finding a way to dump some cash.

Draisaitl isn't worth anywhere near 9.5M though even if a team is desperate. He had a couple big playoff games but overall Oilers are one of the worst teams without their best player on the ice. The ice tilts the other way when McDavid is off the ice. Edmonton really needs to get Draisaitl under 7.5M otherwise they are giving up 21-22M to two players.

This isn't the 80s, tough to win with that kind of cap structure.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Oilers got some moves to make if they want to keep their dynamic duo together. Eberle was just the start. Nugent-Hopkins will probably have to go. Lucic's contract is relatively immovable. Will be interesting to see how they maneuver this.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
if McDavid was a real teammate and cared about winning he would take and settle for 9.7 per like Sid settled for 8.7

This really needs to die.

Crosby's $8.7M then is more than $13.25M now.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011

Because the cap hits are totally comparable in 2007 and 2017.

Percentage-wise, Crosby's contract after his ELC is equal to 13 million today. AND it was only for 5 years.

His 12 year deal is illegal today.

member 157595

Hes not the same player but he's comparable. He signs for a few million less no matter what.

The lower McDavid gets the lower we can get Matthews.

Maybe I'm overrating McDavid but I don't think anyone is comparable to him moving forward. Once Crosby starts declining, McDavid will be in a league of his own.

I don't think there is any amount of money on an 8-year contract that could warrant parting with McDavid. The only player on the planet worth a comparable amount to his team in the future is Erik Karlsson.

Matthews will cost >= 10M/year. I'm pretty sure of that.

Only 17.66% of the cap.

Pretty sure Crosby was 18% of the cap when he signed the 8.7x12 deal, and that sure hasn't crippled them, even with Malkin making more money.

The cap will most likely go up, and this contract will probably look like a steal in 5 years.

Bingo. You simply can't replace players like this.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
can you build a championship team when you have one player absorbing what, 17% of the salary cap? he's gonna ****ing cripple them.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Good for him kid is a stud.

At what point though do teams walk away from these massive contracts and trade the player for ridiculous returns. That is a big chunk of cap space to on player and your going to dish out 6,7, or 8 to Draisaitl. That is $20 million in 2 players.

I am curious what a poorly managed team like the Islanders are going to do with Tavares in a similar situation.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Only 17.66% of the cap.

Pretty sure Crosby was 18% of the cap when he signed the 8.7x12 deal, and that sure hasn't crippled them, even with Malkin making more money.

The cap will most likely go up, and this contract will probably look like a steal in 5 years.

Shhh....

Facts like this have no place here

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Massive. Drive the price up for Matthews and Eichel

Lol Sid signed for a similar % of the cap. Have to think about the cap going up, 8,7 mill isnt the same then and now because the cap has gone up

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Lol probably close to $21 million between Draisaitl and McDavid enjoy being in cap hell for a long time Oiler fans you guys still need to upgrade your D here. You'll be just like the Hawks in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad