Recalled/Assigned: McCormick called up | Update: Back to the Bingo Hall

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Really happy to see him get a shot. He was really good in camp and plays a real good bottom 6 role. Likely to be Neils replacement IMO( Next year) I mean that not by playing style but by roster spot.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Should be interesting to see these five guys out on the ice at the same time. Baby Boro & Senior Boro out there together. :laugh:

McCormick - Smith - Neil
Cowen - Boroweicki

How many on here would have thought before the Development Camp & Rookie Tournament only a few months ago that McCormick would make it to Ottawa before Ryan Dzingel, his buddy from Ohio State? Dzingel had a pretty good Development Camp, Rookie tournament & Training Camp too. It's another good example of how it's not always the leading scorers that are needed or wanted or just sometimes it's a message needed to be sent to players that hard work can pay off & is rewarded. :handclap:

Last edited:

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Should be interesting to see these five guys out on the ice at the same time. Baby Boro & Senior Boro out there together. :laugh:

McCormick - Smith - Neil
Cowen - Boroweicki

How many on here would have thought before the Development Camp & Rookie Tournament only a few months ago that McCormick would make it to Ottawa before Ryan Dzingel, his buddy from Ohio State? Dzingel had a pretty good Development Camp, Rookie tournament & Training Camp too. It's another good example of how it's not always the leading scorers that are needed or wanted or just sometimes it's a message needed to be sent to players that hard work can pay off & is rewarded. :handclap:

I cant wait to watch and see how many goals go against us when these guys are out there at the same time. Worst 5 I think you could post, maybe sub in Cowen for Wier and then you got exactly the 4 I want traded. Mccormick will get some time cause hes new/young. Hard work shouldnt be the deciding factor who plays, its great to have hard working guys but that doesn't always win hockey games, we need skill and we don't have it other then a select few guys.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I cant wait to watch and see how many goals go against us when these guys are out there at the same time. Worst 5 I think you could post, maybe sub in Cowen for Wier and then you got exactly the 4 I want traded. Mccormick will get some time cause hes new/young. Hard work shouldn't be the deciding factor who plays, its great to have hard working guys but that doesn't always win hockey games, we need skill and we don't have it other then a select few guys.

I'm so misunderstood. :shakehead

What I meant & thought would have been obvious was with those 5 guys out there, there would be the possibility of a donnybrook & it would be funny? That's all, nothing else, no hidden agenda.

What do you mean we don't have skill? Isn't Ottawa the 5th leading goal scoring team in the NHL & that is without Ryan & Karlsson heating up yet. Hoffman, Turris, Stone, Zibanjead, Karlsson, Ryan, MacArthur, Michalek, Lazar, Pageau, Prince, Wiercioch & Wideman. We have enough skill to create three forward lines & two pairs of defencemen, isn't that enough? How much skill do winning teams have more than Ottawa? Maybe our skill isn't quite as good as it should be, maybe the players we have aren't as good as they could be? Maybe the coaching staff is putting together the right combinations of players to win games or maybe they just aren't playing very well as a team right now? IMO injuries are starting to be a big problem for this team & it's interfering with consistency. I think they have plenty of skill, I don't think those skilled players are playing very well or have put it together yet as a group.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

McCormick - Smith - Neil
Cowen - Boroweicki

Lol eewwew. I like McCormick. But the other 4 are pretty atrocious. At the sport of hockey

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I was expecting this to happen once one of our regulars were back. Some were folks discussing that if Hoff is back maybe it would be Puempel to go back down, but at this juncture you just keep the ball rolling with whoever is performing.

Glad he got a call-up though. He was nothing special, I figure he'll be a cup-of-coffee guy playing less than 50 NHL games. Hard work does get rewarded.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I was expecting this to happen once one of our regulars were back. Some were folks discussing that if Hoff is back maybe it would be Puempel to go back down, but at this juncture you just keep the ball rolling with whoever is performing.

Glad he got a call-up though. He was nothing special, I figure he'll be a cup-of-coffee guy playing less than 50 NHL games. Hard work does get rewarded.

I was hoping he would play like he did in pre season and development camp. His compete was the same and he worked hard but he was alot chippier in rookie camp and exhibition games. I was hoping we'd see him draw some penalties or atleast take a superior player to the box with him. He will need to do that if he wants to play in the NHL.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Give Dzingle the next opportunity. Max was alright.

Dzingel or Lindberg for me.

Still surprised mccormick got called up in the first place. Do they see much of a future with him?

I would have figured it would have been...

Puempel
Dzingel
Lindberg
Paul
O'Dell
Schneider

...Wayyy before mccormick.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Still surprised mccormick got called up in the first place. Do they see much of a future with him?

Puempel
Dzingel
Lindberg
Paul
O'Dell
Schneider

They brought up McCormick for need position and role.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

He's a 3rd liner in the AHL who wasn't even producing. He's not big. Hes essentially a small guy who's a good skater and does nothing else. I don't know what role he was filling but I thought he replaced Hoffman. Any of the guys I listed above can make plays out there. We need better possession.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
I don't see a problem with rewarding a player who has clearly put in the effort to improve. Giving young guys the opportunity, no matter what position, will go a long way to making Ottawa a desirable destination for drafted/signed players.

He's had a taste of the NHL, so now he can go back down and improve his game with what he's learned. It's not like he was bad either, just meh. But again, 4th line, what do people expect?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Yeah, exactly. I'm assuming they wanted to push Prince up the lines, meaning they needed a bottom sixer. McCormick had a good camp so he was probably the first one on the list for a bottom player.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Puempel
Dzingel
Lindberg
Paul
O'Dell
Schneider

As it has been said he filled a positional need.

Also nothing wrong with giving a player a chance to impress.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
This org likes McCormick type players, and so I wasn't surprised he was called up. That's also why I voted for him early in our prospect polls, simply because I knew the org would give him every opportunity to make it to the NHL.

Having said that, I was wrong in thinking Puempel would be sent down first, so what do I know? :dunno:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
As it has been said he filled a positional need.

Also nothing wrong with giving a player a chance to impress.

He was replacing Hoffman. What we NEED is skill that can make plays with the puck. Our possession game is severely lacking and were always getting outshot. I don't see how McCormick had the greatest chance of aiding the replacement of Hoffman and puck possession.

Mccormick was not filling any need. He looks like chonacher without the pest factor or the offensive touch.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
His call-up over Puempel was very surprising to me, nothing against McCormick, he is fine pro, will have a good AHL career. But I do not see anything that makes him an NHLer that we need, at least not THIS NHL, maybe 7-8 years of ago when the game still needed the agitator and fighter, the 4th grinder, so to speak.

Puempel was finally called up when Lazar went down, and scored a goal, also had some nice chances on Friday. I get that the management wants "character" guys on the team, but you have to see what is required to succeed in the NHL these days. I hope we can call up a skilled and speedy forward with the next call-up, I mean it is nice to reward guys who work hard, but that is not enough to win in the NHL. We need skills and speed, hockey IQ, scoring ability. Our management's mentality is getting very hard to stand by.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad