Player Discussion Max Pacioretty -- Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I want Patches, Pleks and any D not named Mete or Weber, gone.

Tbh, I think if we keep Price, Weber, Galchenyuk, Drouin, Gallagher, Mete we can build a quality team around that in time to compete. 2-3 years if done right.

I don't know man...there is a lot of work to do to build around those players.

I don't see any of Galchenyuk, Drouin, or Gallagher as ideal 1st line players. Perhaps one could play on the 1st line alongside 2 legit 1st liners and the other two could form a decent 2nd line. So that means we need to acquire 2 1st line players and 1 2nd line player. Unfortunately our prospect pool isn't going to provide any help in that area.

On D, I think Mete is a #3/4 once he develops and Weber will slow down and become a #2/3. That means we're also missing a #1D in the equation.

The good news is that Price is a legit #1G despite his challenges this season, and the rest of the lineup (bottom pairing and bottom 6) can be reasonably assembled with players we already have. The bad news is that we still need to find two top line forwards and one top pairing D. The only solution to this mess may be to draft ourselves out of it, which will take longer than 2-3 years.

That said, things could change quickly if we win the lottery and draft Dahlen and win the Tavares sweepstakes, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I don't know man...there is a lot of work to do to build around those players.

I don't see any of Galchenyuk, Drouin, or Gallagher as ideal 1st line players. Perhaps one could play on the 1st line alongside 2 legit 1st liners and the other two could form a decent 2nd line. So that means we need to acquire 2 1st line players and 1 2nd line player. Unfortunately our prospect pool isn't going to provide any help in that area.

On D, I think Mete is a #3/4 once he develops and Weber will slow down and become a #2/3. That means we're also missing a #1D in the equation.

The good news is that Price is a legit #1G despite his challenges this season, and the rest of the lineup (bottom pairing and bottom 6) can be reasonably assembled with players we already have. The bad news is that we still need to find two top line forwards and one top pairing D. The only solution to this mess may be to draft ourselves out of it, which will take longer than 2-3 years.

That said, things could change quickly if we win the lottery and draft Dahlen and win the Tavares sweepstakes, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'd say thats all pretty accurate, I would just rather start our rebuild with Galchy, Gally and Drouin on F. I think you bring Webs and Price along for the rebuild for two reasons.

1: In the hopes their game rubs off on the younger generation, both of these guys are pros and leaders and have a lot of years and winning experience to rub off on guys coming up from junior.

2: Because we can't move their contracts for much. Webers we could get a decent return still, but it's still not enough realistically to drastically improve the team. Price I don't think a single GM in the league takes on right now with the way Carey's playing.

If Price doesn't come back strong, we are not winning squat with him making 10.5m. If he doesn't come back strong, he's not getting moved (not to mention his NTC). Therefore we essentially have to try to expedite a rebuild in 2-4 years to grow a strong team around him.

Trust me, we both agree that the team is in dire straights, and I'm not even saying it's likely that we are going to be successful in a rebuild, I'm just saying this is the most realistic way to go about it.

If someone offers a great deal for either Weber or Price, you take it, but it's just not gonna happen.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I can't believe Max won't score 30.

I don't like him a lot and acknowledge he was bad in playoffs last year and is a weak leader and having a bad year etc etc

But i always had faith in his consistency as a goal scorer and always still expected him to somehow reach 30. He's at 16 in 59 games. Just about no chance it happens anymore and I'm truly surprised

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I can't believe Max won't score 30.

I don't like him a lot and acknowledge he was bad in playoffs last year and is a weak leader and having a bad year etc etc

But i always had faith in his consistency as a goal scorer and always still expected him to somehow reach 30. He's at 16 in 59 games. Just about no chance it happens anymore and I'm truly surprised

He's been very consistent in his ability to disappear.
I've spent hours and days in the past debating his eliteness with half the board.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
His value may be hampered by production, and a glut of UFAs on the market, but honestly he is worth more to a team like the Kings who could get 2 playoff runs out of him, which may be all they get if they can not re-sign Doughty. Trade him at the draft he is worth less, because it is one less playoff run, unless you let teams negotiate with his agent for a contract. I just hope he doesn't get traded for Ryan McDonaugh, because that would be almost comical, in the tragic sense.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
C'tu cute his recent declaration with the medias. Another reason to extend his contract for 7 years x 7 $M :D

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Actually Davey, goal droughts happen. His lasted longer than three games. What people are on him about are his lack of any type of effort in the playoffs, or most regular season games nowadays.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
He needs to go. The Habs will never win a cup with him as their best forward. Situation in Habland is terrible at the moment, we need to bottom out

Can i borrow your crystal ball please? Im hopin to pick winning lottery numbers.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I can't say I'm surprised Patch couldn't be moved.
MB wants the package he would have got three years ago.
There was never a valid excuse not to move him then as I had suggested and just go for it. His legitimate scoring could have been replaced by two or even three pieces while we filled gaping holes.

We certainly couldn't be any worse off now.
Really not expecting much anymore.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Actually Davey, goal droughts happen. His lasted longer than three games. What people are on him about are his lack of any type of effort in the playoffs, or most regular season games nowadays.
I remember when little Davey got that massive (for a player like him) long term deal and MaxPax was super excited... They were like two peas in a pod, they must miss each other greatly these days.

But to be serious, people aren't on Pax's case because he doesn't score. People are on his case because he provides a pitiful effort on most nights. Embarrassing for a captain really. But I get it, it's so tough playing in Montreal, so much stress... the fans get on your case much more than elsewhere, it's hard to put in an honest effort most of the time because of these reasons. I'm sure little Davey can relate. Even MB said so in Drouin's case, it's just so tough for a player like him and we just have to accept that these guys won't put in an honest effort due to the incredibly strenuous circumstances they are placed under in this market. :help:

I seriously hope Pax and little Davey get reunited in NY next year.

Reactions: Rapala and le_sean

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I remember when little Davey got that massive (for a player like him) long term deal and MaxPax was super excited... They were like two peas in a pod, they must miss each other greatly these days.

But to be serious, people aren't on Pax's case because he doesn't score. People are on his case because he provides a pitiful effort on most nights. Embarrassing for a captain really. But I get it, it's so tough playing in Montreal, so much stress... the fans get on your case much more than elsewhere, it's hard to put in an honest effort most of the time because of these reasons. I'm sure little Davey can relate. Even MB said so in Drouin's case, it's just so tough for a player like him and we just have to accept that these guys won't put in an honest effort due to the incredibly strenuous circumstances they are placed under in this market. :help:

I seriously hope Pax and little Davey get reunited in NY next year.

This post reminds me of the very first league wide stoppage years back. The players were whining about the stress of playing in the NHL. I think it was the Late Great Red Fisher who said "These guys don't know what real stress is"

"Real stress is being a single mother on welfare with two mouths to feed no food in the pantry and a week to go until Welfare Day"

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Can i borrow your crystal ball please? Im hopin to pick winning lottery numbers.

Don't need a crystal ball to see that this team is terrible as currently assembled.

A rebuild is needed and that means Max, Shea and Carey need to go. They are by far the only assets that will bring meaningful returns.

A whole pile of late 2nd round picks isn't gonna fix the mess MB has made.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018

He gets it because scoring goals is all he does... if he's not scoring then he is floating and invisible. Once in a blue moon he will be physical and you say "where has this guy been?" but it's not real. This year you saw him without all the goals and all that was left was a floater. A big dookie floating....

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I would only trade him if a crazy offer is on the table.
There will be no crazy offer for Pacioretty.... and if you don't trade him then what? Pay him 7-8 million a year? Then we will truly be F-ed beyond epic proportions. We're in a bad spot now but there is a path out (don't trust Marc to do it but it's there). If we sign Max for 7-8 million a year we are completely screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad