Confirmed with Link: Max McCormick re-signed

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If he were 6'5 I would like him more than I do. I am not convinced that he will have a long NHL career, but the salary cost is low and he might fill a cheap 4th line spot on the roster which will allow the team to pay a bit more for top 6 players.

I like him but he Maxes out as a 4th liner .. If he can play NHL regularly at all.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
I like him but he Maxes out as a 4th liner .. If he can play NHL regularly at all.

I don't see him as a regular NHLer. The guy plays like it's his last shift every time he steps on the ice but he doesn't possess the physical attributes necessary to make things happen on the ice. He's small (both height and weight), not particularly fast, can't fight with the heavy fights (as Darnell Nurse). What's the point? He's the definition of a career minor leaguer to me.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If you believe Randy Lee, McCormick was a target for a lot of teams...

How can we believe anything that comes out of managements mouth when we get stuff like this... Comparing him to Boro like he is a desirable player?... haha Come on man. Players like Mccormick are a dime a dozen. Put this into the hand shakes and hugs category with Dorion.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
How can we believe anything that comes out of managements mouth when we get stuff like this... Comparing him to Boro like he is a desirable player?... haha Come on man. Players like Mccormick are a dime a dozen. Put this into the hand shakes and hugs category with Dorion.

Boro lacks skill skill but he is the type of player any team wants.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
And some of you fans just agree and accept everything. Everything. Some people, usually the same, quite funny actually.

I'm sure some "agree" with the decision, but a lot of people just question why there's so much angst about giving a guy an NHL minimum salary 2 seasons from now. If he's the 13th F in 2 seasons that is fine and the salary (as its league minimum) is suiting of that role.

He's not a bad energy guy, he competes really hard and is responsible defensively. I prefer some offensive ability on the 4th line but he's being paid to be the last F on the roster, literally league minimum salary. I can't fathom why that would be something to rip the GM over.

I respect your opinion tremendously, but this is a move that shouldn't even be a blip on the radar as a bad move. It's essentially inconsequential.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm sure some "agree" with the decision, but a lot of people just question why there's so much angst about giving a guy an NHL minimum salary 2 seasons from now. If he's the 13th F in 2 seasons that is fine and the salary (as its league minimum) is suiting of that role.

He's not a bad energy guy, he competes really hard and is responsible defensively. I prefer some offensive ability on the 4th line but he's being paid to be the last F on the roster, literally league minimum salary. I can't fathom why that would be something to rip the GM over.

I respect your opinion tremendously, but this is a move that shouldn't even be a blip on the radar as a bad move. It's essentially inconsequential.

I agree with the decision because McCormick is an energy guy who competes really hard on every shift in every game something this organization could use more of. His salary is inconsequential in NHL relative terms & with losing Neil Ottawa could use some more toughness in their lineup. There is not a single team that has skill on every line, every team has some grinders on their 4th line & as we saw in these past playoffs often times it's these guys that make the difference in some games. IMO he is a tougher version of Pyatt & should fit in very well with GB's system.

While a guy like White might bring more skill to the bottom six wouldn't it make much more sense to give him a lot more ice time in Bellville than GB will give him in Ottawa. Let him play in a lot more important situations & let him round out his game & develop in Bellville rather than make mistakes in Ottawa & get benched for two periods or scratched. They don't really need him in Ottawa this yr at least not to start the season & if he develops quickly & is playing great we get an influx of skill later on in the yr when maybe the team is slumping. I would much rather see Paul who has paid his dues in the AHL & has the big body to play on the 4th line & start the yr here this season. I would also like to see them move him back to centre & develop him as a 4th line centre who can take faceoffs & be a formidable defensive forward. It's time he took the next step in his development.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
And some of you fans just agree and accept everything. Everything. Some people, usually the same, quite funny actually.
I dont agree with everything.I just dont fly off the handle before i look at the situation logically and from both ends.

As a fan I would love to see the team try anything and everything to win at all times ,but in reality its never going to happen.Part of management is to manage fan expectation ,and to ensure profitabilty and sustainabilty of the product they are trying to sell .

They cant do this knee jerk, like most fans are wishing they would do .Every move needs to be calculated with the present ,near and distant future in mind .

The bolded is what most are stuck on .We dont have a stanley cup contender,so why would the team spend to the cap and throw around money ,and other assets to make believe we are.The team is marketed as a competitive one ATM ,not the latter.Hense the more conservative approach:nod:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't see him as a regular NHLer. The guy plays like it's his last shift every time he steps on the ice but he doesn't possess the physical attributes necessary to make things happen on the ice. He's small (both height and weight), not particularly fast, can't fight with the heavy fights (as Darnell Nurse). What's the point? He's the definition of a career minor leaguer to me.

He doesn't have to be a regular, he can be an injury replacement this yr & likely will replace Burrows in the bottom six next yr while they manage their cap situation. Sometimes it's more about the budget than it is about the player & they make do until the deadline & approve in the areas they can afford or sell off.

I dont agree with everything.I just dont fly off the handle before i look at the situation logically and from both ends.

As a fan I would love to see the team try anything and everything to win at all times ,but in reality its never going to happen.Part of management is to manage fan expectation ,and to ensure profitabilty and sustainabilty of the product they are trying to sell .

They cant do this knee jerk, like most fans are wishing they would do .Every move needs to be calculated with the present ,near and distant future in mind .

The bolded is what most are stuck on .We dont have a stanley cup contender,so why would the team spend to the cap and throw around money ,and other assets to make believe we are.The team is marketed as a competitive one ATM ,not the latter.Hense the more conservative approach:nod:

Couldn't agree more, good post.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Boro lacks skill skill but he is the type of player any team wants.

Mccormick is not that player at all, but if the high water mark is boro that should not be the standard of hockey player this team is giving 1 way contracts to.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Mccormick is not that player at all, but if the high water mark is boro that should not be the standard of hockey player this team is giving 1 way contracts to.

Boro brings passion and physicality to the team. He is not easy to play against and his hitting makes other teams wary coming up his side of the ice. He also brings a policeman role that this team needs, given that Neil is leaving. The team needs this type of player. Sure I would like a better skilled player, but that would cost more and this team is a budget team, not a cap team. Boro has a place on my Senators team as a 6th Defenseman.

Regarding Karlsson's new partner, I would prefer a Defenseman who has some skating, puckhandling and shooting skills to augment Karlsson and thus force other teams to be reticent of focusing strictly on Karlsson only, thus leaving more opportunities for Karlsson to attack offensively because his partner could do offensive damage too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad