Confirmed with Link: Maurice Hired - 4 Year Contract

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Maurice named as an assistant coach for Team Canada as well.

Hockey Canada also formalized its coaching staff on Wednesday by naming Phoenix Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett as bench boss for the tournament. Peter DeBoer of the Florida Panthers and Paul Maurice of the Winnipeg Jets were named assistant coaches.

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=449517

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Great for him going to the Worlds!

Re: Maurice being a good coach - I truly believe the "right" coach for a team is just as important as the players. Like with Julien fired twice before Boston, he probably just didn't have the players that would best work with his style, but now with Boston he's great.

Not saying we will win the Cup with Maurice, but I think right now he's working well with the players... even though they sort of relapsed a bit with the lazier efforts we saw before him. Hopefully we can weed out some of the weaker links on the team in that regard and bring in some solid bottom 6-ers that will mesh with how Mo coaches.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
I'm very pleased with this signing. I think the last couple of months have shown that Maurice is the right coach for this group.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
He won't be here for the full term if goaltending isn't fixed. The goalies will always make the coach look good or bad.

Derfel*

He won't be here for the full term if goaltending isn't fixed. The goalies will always make the coach look good or bad.

Wrong thread?

It was obvious Maurice wanted to be here - but I also genuinely believe that if his family said no, he wouldn't have signed.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
Well then let's give him and his family a warm welcome. By that I mean a set of Canada Goose parkas. The kids are going to need them...

Yup the kids will be in for a bit of a weather shock... average lows in winters there is -5 :naughty:

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach-Maurice-on-the-ice-300x199.jpg

I've broken down the entire presser so you can pick and choose the responses you would like to hear from the conference call with the media.

Topics covered: Making his decision, temptation to look at other NHL coaching vacancies, where this team is at, leaders in the room, Ondrej Pavelec, conditioning of the team, Alexander Burmistrov and regrets from the season.

To listen click here.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Lawless was on That's Hockey talking about the Maurice extension. He was asked about Buff and his desire to play D while Maurice said he'd play forward. It was an interesting response. He said too often the Jets organization has been afraid to anger players because they didn't want a perception that players didn't want to play here. They coddled players. But that wouldn't be the case now with Maurice He said "the tail is no longer wagging the dog in Winnipeg"

I know it's Lawless but still an interesting take.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Lawless was on That's Hockey talking about the Maurice extension. He was asked about Buff and his desire to play D while Maurice said he'd play forward. It was an interesting response. He said too often the Jets organization has been afraid to anger players because they didn't want a perception that players didn't want to play here. They coddled players. But that wouldn't be the case now with Maurice He said "the tail is no longer wagging the dog in Winnipeg"

I know it's Lawless but still an interesting take.

Its about damn time. I always said vets weren't held as accountable as youngsters. Mau will not let anyone run his show, not Buff, not Kane, no one......... okay maybe Pavs ;)

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
You are correct sir. The core just didn't seem to respect Noel right from the get go (remember that meeting they had with him at the start). They seem to love Maurice's leadership which I never remember them saying with Claude. I was mad when the players quite on Claude and I just don't see them doing that for Maurice.

I wasn't in any way "mad at them for quitting on Noel" - it seemed like that was the only way management would listen & even still it took fan revolt to make it happen.

Maurice on the other hand seems so well respected, so well planned (no gray areas; everything is black & white), and he communicates everything to his players so well. Just the perfect guy for this club at this time & I have to tip my hat to whoever saw what they saw in him -- because he didn't come advertised as being the type of coach he is.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I think he means he'll be fired ala Pavelec making the coaching look bad. Similar to what happened with Noel.

I'd never blame Noel getting fired on the goaltending although a decent tender would have bought him a year or three. I'd say the whole team realized that they were going nowhere with Noel. There has been a very big difference post Noel with no real bad games - sure some losses but the bad games have disappeared.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I'd never blame Noel getting fired on the goaltending although a decent tender would have bought him a year or three. I'd say the whole team realized that they were going nowhere with Noel. There has been a very big difference post Noel with no real bad games - sure some losses but the bad games have disappeared.

I agree, I think Maurice is a better coach, but I also believe that a better goalie would have had the team in the playoffs and if we were in the playoffs Noel would never have been fired.

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
Buff was much better last off season and I expect he will be in better shape this September than last.

I hope so cause the guy has lots of talent and I hope its being used as a forward. I would also like to see the jets use him on the powerplay as a forward.Put him in front of the net.With his size and skill with the puck he could be much more effective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad