Post-Game Talk: Matty's Back And There's Gonna Be Trouble, HeyNah, We Won 5-2

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
After the game Babcock made the point having Matthews back at 1C and Pleks at 4C he felt he could always match up on the road. That doesn't bode well for D. Moore in the playoffs. I'm okay with that. I'm really digging our team. Living in the Detroit area I hope we really put in on the Wings tomorrow night. GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
i've said that playoffs were guaranteed pretty much from the start of the year.

Yep, many of us said this was a playoffs team, and would be better than last year.

Goaltending is huge, compare Andersen to Talbot and McElhinney to Montoya/Brossoit and you can see why Leafs look like their headed to 100 points and the Oilers are back in the lottery.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Last night's game is a reminder why Matthews was the right choice over Laine. 200 foot super skilled player who makes players around him better versus a skilled, pure goal scorer.

I fully exect Matthews would have 40+ goals right now if he hadnt been injured.

Theres no doubt in my mind he was the right choice.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
After the game Babcock made the point having Matthews back at 1C and Pleks at 4C he felt he could always match up on the road. That doesn't bode well for D. Moore in the playoffs. I'm okay with that. I'm really digging our team. Living in the Detroit area I hope we really put in on the Wings tomorrow night. GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!

I actually thought Pleks looked pretty good last night, other than the penalty he took, probably his best game so far for us. If he can provide the chipiness every game in the playoffs, and play key PK minutes, I'll be happy.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

it blew my mind when Romanuck said he had 29. I was like what? when did that happen. (he's been gone so long, don't ever get hurt or sick again, Matty).

The Jets got exactly what they needed, basically the second coming of Teemu, and I am legitimately happy for them.

We got exactly what we needed, and I can't wait to see what wizardy, voodoo and bs Matthews does because he's like. his own unique thing (like he reminds me of Malkin if i had to guess? I think the Francis comparison is really appro. as well. but he's his own thing). nd we should be happy.

the only people who are making this a thing are dumbos.

Reactions: hurricanematthews

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I actually thought Pleks looked pretty good last night, other than the penalty he took, probably his best game so far for us. If he can provide the chipiness every game in the playoffs, and play key PK minutes, I'll be happy.
And he drew a penalty too.
I think he will be a great addition for the playoffs.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018

The right choice? It's not close. He plays CENTER. He was the ONLY choice. Laine is a helluva player. An assassin. But Matthews is better and definitely the right choice. No contest.

Reactions: weems

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

As far as I am concerned he has 31 (I count those 2 disallowed goals) and was a shoe-in for 40. He hasn't had 3 or 4 goals in a game this season but he has scored more consistently (no droughts) which bodes well for the future.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
But our team is terrible the way our lines were structured all year and our coach is an absolute idiot right? That's what you've been telling us all year.
Our lines were terrible at the start of the season. We were playing horrible hockey in December and January.

Then we added Dermott (I had said he was a top 4 NHL defender before he played a game for us this year).

We replaced Martin with Kapanen (another move I had wanted).

We moved Marner off the Bozak line (another move I had wanted).

Once we made those changes, we got a lot better and we've had an amazing record since January 22nd.

I think it's pretty obvious that I was correct all along.

I had been saying we had a top 5 roster all year.

In mid-January, lots of people were saying stuff like "Leaf's aren't that good... we're not a playoff team, etc." . I had maintained that we had one of the best rosters in the league and the deepest offense, and that we would start winning once Babcock made changes to his line combos and roster choices. He made a lot of good changes and we started winning.

Only thing I didn't really anticipate was how well we would play without Matthews and Andersen. I thought it would be tough to win games with Hyman ruining Nylander and Marner. But JVR really stepped up. Marner got moved away from Hyman which made the Kadri line dangerous. So I was impressed that we beat the Pens and the Stars... and we beat a red hot Nashville... so this team has even exceeded my expectations recently as I thought we would hit a bit of a skid without Matthews and a tough schedule.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
a post I made Jan. 6th:

I was never worried about making the playoffs. I think we have the best offense in the league on paper.

Unfortunately, we also have the worst coach in the league who makes horrible roster choices and line combos. The Leafs are a top 5 teams on paper and he is turning us into a fringe playoff team.

So many things Babcock could be doing to make us better:

1) Hyman to bottom 6.
2) Komarov to 4th line
3) Leivo or Kapanen a regular in the lineup over Martin
4) Dermott a regular in the lineup
5) Mathews with Marner
6) Kadri with Brown

No more giving Hyman and Komarov so much ice time.

Matthews with Marner and any one of [JVR, Marleau, Leivo, Nylander] on the LW would be the top line in the league.

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
Just enjoyed the "Game in Six" one more time. Wow! A complete domination of one of the best teams in the league! One of the best road hockey games of the year, if not the best. The goals from Matthews, Marner and Gardiner were all beauties!!!

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
From the game last night....
1. JVR scores his 34th. 1-0
2. Matthews, #34, scores his 29th. 2-1
3. Nylander, #29, scores his 16th. 3-1
4. Marner, #16, scores his 20th. 4-1
5. Gardiner, #51, scores to make it 5-1

Illuminati confirmed.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
It's weird cause for much of the season I was just hoping for one playoff round victory, for the growth of the team.

But with how they're just flying out there and how great Freddy's been, this team could really make a push for the whole damn thing. What a turnaround, what a rebuild, baby.

Let's just be happy with this team. Happy guys, get used to it! It's gonna be like this for another decade at least.

Reactions: canadon

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Not that we plan on doing it, but even if we didn't win another game all season, we'd be more likely than not to be 3rd seed in the Atlantic.
Yep.

And only like 2 teams ever haven't made the playoffs with 95 points.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
But our team is terrible the way our lines were structured all year and our coach is an absolute idiot right? That's what you've been telling us all year.
thats not even remotely close to saying the team will miss the playoffs

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
The right choice? It's not close. He plays CENTER. He was the ONLY choice. Laine is a helluva player. An assassin. But Matthews is better and definitely the right choice. No contest.

Matthews still leads the league dating back to last year in even strength goals and most of his point totals this year also came at even.

The only reason why his numbers aren't popping off the page (still outpacing Eichel and Laine) right now is his Powerplay hasn't been effective at all. What that means is that this is a baseline production and anything else would just be added sugar. When he figures it out, it'll be even better.

I would also argue that Matthews is much more of an assassin with his quick release and tricky stick handling in close while Laine is the artillery just bombing them from far.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Matthews still leads the league dating back to last year in even strength goals and most of his point totals this year also came at even.

The only reason why his numbers aren't popping off the page (still outpacing Eichel and Laine) right now is his Powerplay hasn't been effective at all. What that means is that this is a baseline production and anything else would just be added sugar. When he figures it out, it'll be even better.

I would also argue that Matthews is much more of an assassin with his quick release and tricky stick handling in close while Laine is the artillery just bombing them from far.

With the talk of JVR/Bozak gone, and Tavares being a UFA, imagine the PP if you kept Marner and Rielly in their places on D except you put Nylander where Bozak is, Tavares where Kadri is, and Matthews where JVR is.

Matthews' is right there, if not better, it terms of handling the puck around the net. While he's got an amazing shot, it's not needed for an effective PP unit.

Nylander puts a lethal option on the opposing wing for a cross ice one time possibility.

:naughty:

Reactions: Optomist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad