Player Discussion Mattias Ekholm

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
Whitney before gimped foot was pretty good.

Klefbom, Gilbert a couple other good ones.

Whitney had one of the best first passes in the league. Was fantastic for moving the puck the right way, his injured foot hampering his ability to turn on defense was a shame. He was great for us when we didn't have much to cheer for. Love Whitney.

Pronger was on another level, and ignoring everything he did, it was his ability to control the pace of the game that put him over the top. He dictated the speed whenever he was on the ice.

On topic however, it's been a relief that we FINALLY got someone like Ekholm. He's been exactly what this team needed and fits like a glove.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Hold your horses, ya'll are doing the usual, a guy comes here looks good for his huge sample size of about 2 or 3 games and is he greatest thing ever.

Eckholm is a nice player and should help but the big evaluation on this is for the end of the year.

This team is still only go as far as goaltening takes them, and I do not mean we need great goaltendng just not stink playoff goaltending.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Could be that but I think with Poile retiring and Trotz coming in they were looking at a retool and figure to be not very competitive for a few years or so. They floated his name out back in November I think and probably got a bunch of interest, like Brad said “couldn’t believe he was available” and with them looking tough to make the playoffs by the deadline probably figured they might as well get value for him now and help the tank a hit with his absence (I bet they’re surprised they’ve won as much with Barrie in for him)

I hope that you're right. They have watched him for a long time so you would think they would know best.

But at same time, if you look at the Jones and Weber trades. Not sure either was great for them.

Weber for Subban. I think when this trade was made, people thought that Nashville was genius. That Weber was on the downs and that Subban was on the rise. But not really sure was the case. I think Weber was better than Subban after the trade. Both both guys ultimately didnt have a long career. (I think Weber was on a long deal though - where as Ekholm is 3 years after this. Weber was still fairly for 5 years after leaving Nashville. He had more injuries than Ekholm did. I think they were around same age when traded?

Jones for Johansen. Jones had some decent to good years in Columbus (first 3 full seasons were good). I think Columbus moving him to Chicaco was more the right time to move him rather than when Poile moved him. Johansen such a dud though, no idea why they traded for him.

So yeah, maybe I am giving Nashville too much credit. I think they are a good draft/development team but not sure in regards to trading. Ekholm will probably be good for his contract.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hold your horses, ya'll are doing the usual, a guy comes here looks good for his huge sample size of about 2 or 3 games and is he greatest thing ever.

Eckholm is a nice player and should help but the big evaluation on this is for the end of the year.

This team is still only go as far as goaltening takes them, and I do not mean we need great goaltendng just not stink playoff goaltending.
Yes, and you are right, but that's not Ekholm's fault nor his responsibility to fix. He's here to improve the defense, which his presence clearly has.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I hope that you're right. They have watched him for a long time so you would think they would know best.

But at same time, if you look at the Jones and Weber trades. Not sure either was great.

Weber for Subban. I think when this trade was made, people thought that Nashville was genius. That Weber was on the downs and that Subban was on the rise. But not really sure was the case. I think Weber was better than Subban after the trade. Both both guys ultimately didnt have a long career. (I think Weber was on a long deal though - where as Ekholm is 3 years after this. Weber was still fairly for 5 years after leaving Nashville. He had more injuries than Ekholm did. I think they were around same age when traded?

Jones for Johansen. Jones had some decent to good years in Columbus (first 3 full seasons were good). I think Columbus moving him to Chicaco was more the right time to move him rather than when Poile moved him. Johansen such a dud though, no idea why they traded for him.

So yeah, maybe I am giving Nashville too much credit. I think they are a good draft/development team but not sure in regards to trading. Ekholm will probably be good for his contract.

Yup, those were also “hockey trades” whereas this one had more futures attached which would seem to signal they value those picks (recent 1st and current 1st) more than a player they expect to build around (like they did with Subban and Johansen)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He's been everything as advertised and then some, so I'm very happy with him.

As for Pronger, I seem to recall the first half or so of the year, he actually struggled, as the NHL just introduced their new holding, etc rules, trying to open up things, and Chris had some problems adjusting. Once he got the hang of it though, he was fantastic.
I don't think Pronger struggled, so much as he flew under the radar. Everyone was expecting more flash than what Pronger was ever going to bring, and people thought he was underperforming because of it. He did take a lot of penalties though I think.

So Ekholm's success or failure rests on the shoulders of Skinner and Campbell? Logical...

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Try naming 32 defensemen better than Ekholm. I can't. By that logic either I don't follow the rest of the league closely (which I don't) or Ekholm is a legit #1D.

For me he's a left handed version of who I though Larsson was going to be.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Yeah he got some futures, my post was more about giving up on Ekholm.
Nobody gave up on Ekholm. Go back and read any thread where Ekholm is rumored to be available or moved. Nashville fans always asked the moon or flat out said no because we knew what he was and is. This was a case of using our assets to turn the page which has been needed for a couple seasons. This trade is looking good for both teams and that's ok. There doesn't always have to be one side that gets shit on in the HFboards trade world.

If anybody knows what Ekholm is and can be to a team it's the Nashville franchise. I am glad he is working out and would expect nothing less. There's not a team in the league that wouldn't improve with him in the lineup. I will be cheering for him from Nashville. The guy is just a warrior and a rock on the back end.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ekholm is an anchor for the 2nd line. If only we could get Nurse playing anywhere close to where he was in the Canadian division season our D would be awesome.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nobody gave up on Ekholm. Go back and read any thread where Ekholm is rumored to be available or moved. Nashville fans always asked the moon or flat out said no because we knew what he was and is. This was a case of using our assets to turn the page which has been needed for a couple seasons. This trade is looking good for both teams and that's ok. There doesn't always have to be one side that gets shit on in the HFboards trade world.

If anybody knows what Ekholm is and can be to a team it's the Nashville franchise. I am glad he is working out and would expect nothing less. There's not a team in the league that wouldn't improve with him in the lineup. I will be cheering for him from Nashville. The guy is just a warrior and a rock on the back end.
He was always a guy that I admired as a player. Chychrun was the "sexy" name available, but Ekholm as long as he holds up during his contract here is the rock that we needed.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
We should be thankful David Poile traded Ekholm here. It seems like Ekholm was only on the market for about a week and I think Poile and Holland were able to complete the deal in just a few days. Its good to see two fellow Seniors helping each other out :)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

i can't honestly understand why Nashville made this trade. I can see it fills the Oilers needs and holes. I'm not seeing it from the Nashville perspective. Unless the Preds are giving in to pure entertainment angle in that Barrie is more of an offensive player and maybe they want more offense or better PP or something. From a hockey purist POV it doesn't make sense to me as Ekholm seems to fit the Preds way of play.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
i can't honestly understand why Nashville made this trade. I can see it fills the Oilers needs and holes. I'm not seeing it from the Nashville perspective. Unless the Preds are giving in to pure entertainment angle in that Barrie is more of an offensive player and maybe they want more offense or better PP or something. From a hockey purist POV it doesn't make sense to me as Ekholm seems to fit the Preds way of play.
The preds aren't contending nor will they be contending without a significant influx of talent. Neither of those things are likely to happen in the time frame that Ekholm is an asset.

Why wouldn't they make this trade

Reactions: Oilhawks

North

Jun 25, 2009

But at same time, if you look at the Jones and Weber trades. Not sure either was great for them.

They needed a centre. I believe we offered Nuge to them for Jones and they preferred Johansen.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The preds aren't contending nor will they be contending without a significant influx of talent. Neither of those things are likely to happen in the time frame that Ekholm is an asset.

Why wouldn't they make this trade
Depends on ones view of what the picks potentially bring I guess. While the first round pick is giving up a lot for the Oilers its in a contend now window and thus very important to get a shutdown D, the quality of Ekholm, in here now. As much as I love Barrie the Oilers filled the need instead of the want. The Preds give up a monster D for a pick and Barrie essentially. Usually 4th picks are irrelevant.

Maybe you get a stud with the first but the Oilers don't have a high pick in the draft and you gave up a stud D to get it.

Finally, Ekholm is exhibit A for one of the best D to be working with young D and has shown that. Now we're getting that benefit instead of the potentially rebuilding Preds. Just doesn't add up to me.

Reactions: Messrules11

North

Jun 25, 2009
Ekholm is an anchor for the 2nd line. If only we could get Nurse playing anywhere close to where he was in the Canadian division season our D would be awesome.

I think cutting back Nurse’s minutes might help in this regard, which is why the Ekholm acquisition is a blessing for us. He can take on a significant portion of that and still play at a high level.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Depends on ones view of what the picks potentially bring I guess. While the first round pick is giving up a lot for the Oilers its in a contend now window and thus very important to get a shutdown D, the quality of Ekholm, in here now. As much as I love Barrie the Oilers filled the need instead of the want. The Preds give up a monster D for a pick and Barrie essentially. Usually 4th picks are irrelevant.

Maybe you get a stud with the first but the Oilers don't have a high pick in the draft and you gave up a stud D to get it.

Finally, Ekholm is exhibit A for one of the best D to be working with young D and has shown that. Now we're getting that benefit instead of the potentially rebuilding Preds. Just doesn't add up to me.

I don't follow you.

Ekholm is fantastic which is why you want him on your team and why he has value. That value is not guaranteed or built in for the life of his contract. If we are rebuilding, which is the case, we move him when an offer comes that is good return. The value requested was 2 1st round picks. I think the package we got was equivalent to that so Poile moved him.

All of the assets we got back are maybes as you point out, but that's the nature of rebuilding. You want to obtain as many "maybes" as you can get so that some of them turn into future assets that fit our window. I think this is a pretty fair/standard looking deal between a rebuilding team and a contending team.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Try naming 32 defensemen better than Ekholm. I can't. By that logic either I don't follow the rest of the league closely (which I don't) or Ekholm is a legit #1D.

For me he's a left handed version of who I though Larsson was going to be.
He's a left-handed version of what many people misremember Larsson as being. Not that Larsson was bad, but he was inconsistent, and wasn't as solid as Ekholm I don't think. Time will tell if this is just a high spot for Ekholm, but based on everything we know about him from his time in Nashville, this is what we should expect to see moving forward.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think Nurse's problems lie in a few places. 1) I think he tries to do too much to justify his salary, which leads to pinching on the rush too much. 2) He's never had a legit top pair defense partner. 3) He plays too many minutes. 4) Our system makes it really hard for defensemen to look good. 5) Questionable goaltending = more goals against, being on the ice for nearly 1/2 the game means more bad goals scored while he is on the ice even if he does nothing wrong. 5) Needs a better PK partner. Ekholm being here will help - this is similar to 2 & 3 but is specific to our PK.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He's a left-handed version of what many people misremember Larsson as being. Not that Larsson was bad, but he was inconsistent, and wasn't as solid as Ekholm I don't think. Time will tell if this is just a high spot for Ekholm, but based on everything we know about him from his time in Nashville, this is what we should expect to see moving forward.

Hes a much better puck mover than Larssons ever been. Hes also provide more offense than Larsson did.

Hes more of a combination of Klefbom and Larrson if anything (that is consistent and doesnt get injured).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Hes a much better puck mover than Larssons ever been. Hes also provide more offense than Larsson did.

Hes more of a combination of Klefbom and Larrson if anything (that is consistent).
He's a better skater too. Larsson hit harder maybe, but I wouldn't say is necessarily more physical, if that makes sense. I still miss Larsson, but having Ekholm makes me see that there were things we romanticized about Larsson that weren't necessarily truth.

Now I'm sitting here daydreaming of how much damage an Ekholm-Larsson pairing would do. Those nasty vikings would make for some looooong games for the opposition, ha ha.

Reactions: LaGu

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't think Pronger struggled, so much as he flew under the radar. Everyone was expecting more flash than what Pronger was ever going to bring, and people thought he was underperforming because of it. He did take a lot of penalties though I think.

So Ekholm's success or failure rests on the shoulders of Skinner and Campbell? Logical...
You are correct, Pronger did take a lot of penalties as he adjusted to the rule changes. Obviously he figured it all out by the playoffs.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't follow you.

Ekholm is fantastic which is why you want him on your team and why he has value. That value is not guaranteed or built in for the life of his contract. If we are on rebuilding, which is the case, we move him when an offer comes that is good return. The value requested was 2 1st round picks. I think the package we got was equivalent to that so Poile moved him.

All of the assets we got back are maybes as you point out, but that's the nature of rebuilding. You want to obtain as many "maybes" as you can get so that some of them turn into future assets that fit our window. I think this is a pretty fair/standard looking deal between a rebuilding team and a contending team.
I'm just old school. the team that got the best single piece won the trade type of thinking. Plus for the Oilers the plum we obtained is so so sweet. For the Oilers its a chance to salvage and go on a run. Its a chance to have a true 1D in here that was a serious need for the team here that we can go on a potential run. A lot of clubs would probably be pissed that the Oilers obtained that. for sure giving up a first is next to nothing for us as its an all in type of McDrai era run.

For Nashville giving up a D the quality of Ekholm. You never get it back. Teams can go decades not seeing a D like that again. From an Oilers fan, longtime, believe me. We went from Coffey to Pronger, long expanse of time without a real 1D. Then we went ever since without one. Its huge getting an Ekholm. Its huge giving it up. A 1D, just my frame of reference is the biggest spot in hockey.

Finally, and surprised people may not remember this but Lowe ultimately dealt Pronger for 5 magic beans. The maybes often turn into much of nothing. The stud you end up giving up is everything. Ducks won the Cup, the Oilers entered a decade of darkness. Thats a sobering thought. Glad to be on the Oilers side of this deal this time. We got the stud, we gave up what could be beans. More assets back doesn't mean much, most of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Messrules11

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He's a better skater too. Larsson hit harder maybe, but I wouldn't say is necessarily more physical, if that makes sense. I still miss Larsson, but having Ekholm makes me see that there were things we romanticized about Larsson that weren't necessarily truth.

Now I'm sitting here daydreaming of how much damage an Ekholm-Larsson pairing would do. Those nasty vikings would make for some looooong games for the opposition, ha ha.

I think Larssons particular strength was being able to break cycles. He was pretty nasty on the boards (when he wasnt hurt which was like 50% of the time). Larsson had a bit of a mean streak to him. Ekholm apparently has it as well but picks his moments a bit more when he decides to use it (I havent really seen it from him yet).

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad