Player Discussion Mattias Ekholm

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Live photo of me 30 seconds after the Ekholm trade was announced.

Marsh.jpg

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Didn't see a thread for the big guy.

He's been flat out awesome since he got here.

Smart, smooth, fantastic positional defence. Excellent fancies (over 70% high danger chances for)

And even more impressive to me, he's doing this while largely being hardmatched against elite competition - more than half his icetime so far has been against the best other teams have to offer.

He's the closest thing we've had to Pronger since Pronger.
I was gonna say.... He, like Pronger, is a guy that isn't flashy and stands out in an obvious way that's pleasing to the casual fan but he drives results with great positioning, an active stick and smart plays with the puck and he calms things down back there with poise and leadership. He's obviously not Pronger level but he brings a lot of those same qualities to the table.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Luv this by Whitney.

I'll have to watch later, but I do have a comment on this as I've seen him referred to as "the" missing piece a lot lately.

Some probably won't like it though.

Ekholm may not be "the" missing piece to get us the cup. However, he is "A" piece that keeps us moving forward. We are now in a situation where we brought in a guy that can defend and play big minutes on our back end. He was "A" missing piece and at least if we don't win we aren't left wondering "geez I wonder how we'd be if we had a guy that can play larger minutes".

We all knew we needed a guy like Ekholm whether or not he's enough to get us over the hump is to be seen, but at least Holland has one less piece to worry about at the draft or through free agency.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ekholm has helped Bouch immensely. I pray we can add a similar level player in the off-season to replace Ceci.
I think it's going to be interesting to see how this impacts Ceci and the rest of the d going forward.

Ceci was essentially playing a #2 role here. Him getting a few less minutes a night might actually make him look like the guy from last year. At 3.25mil a year I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone better.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I think it's going to be interesting to see how this impacts Ceci and the rest of the d going forward.

Ceci was essentially playing a #2 role here. Him getting a few less minutes a night might actually make him look like the guy from last year. At 3.25mil a year I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone better.
Based on the last 2 months I am not so sure. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

I hope he can regain his form but right now he is off his game.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'd even consider Sheldon Souray's 08/09 season. The man was a beast and was actually good in his own zone despite the Team we had then. I believe he even lead the team in goals and possibly points.

**Remember, I'm talking about that one particular season.

Pronger
Ekholm
Souray (Injury issues/Feud with Lowe) ~ Amazing shot
Nurse
Visnovsky (injuries)

Are my top 5 since the last cup final
Souray's passing was horrifically awfully bad

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
That play he made last night going back to get the puck, quick move to evade the defender then a bullet up ice which led to Connor's second goal *sploosh*

McDavid clearly recognized the good play by Ekholm in the defensive zone which lead to his goal too... as witnessed by McDavid pointing at Ekholm afterwards in the goal celebration.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
5 on 5 he's a revelation. Really moreso our number 1 Dman since joining and one of the best all around dmen the team has seen in a long time.

But his PK isn't anything too special (3 GA in 7 minutes). Hopefully, it's just him getting entrenched into the system.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
5 on 5 he's a revelation. Really moreso our number 1 Dman since joining and one of the best all around dmen the team has seen in a long time.

But his PK isn't anything too special (3 GA in 7 minutes). Hopefully, it's just him getting entrenched into the system.
...or its the Campbell effect.

Reactions: bone and Oilhawks

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The drop off from Barrie to Bouchard on the PP is very small(let's face it, the PP runs thru McDrai not Barrie) when compared to the dropoff of defense from Ekholm to every other Oilers defenseman.
When you look at the history of our PP from 2016-17 to now it's always hovered around the same percentage regardless of Barrie, Klefbom, Nurse or Bouchard running it.

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023

Well, Ceci is still playing a #2 role here lol. He had the highest 5 on5 min last night of any dmen or finished 2nd.

I have to see what Ceci averaged before Ekhom and the last 4 games. Same with Nurse. Just evens

Difference in 3 games was that Ceci-Nurse started playing with the Drai line, but against BUFF they had their most time with McDavid again. Weird

Ekholm is another piece moving us forward. Need one more solid piece back there and consistent goaltending and we are a cup contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad