Player Discussion Mattias Ekholm

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Didn't see a thread for the big guy.

He's been flat out awesome since he got here.

Smart, smooth, fantastic positional defence. Excellent fancies (over 70% high danger chances for)

And even more impressive to me, he's doing this while largely being hardmatched against elite competition - more than half his icetime so far has been against the best other teams have to offer.

He's the closest thing we've had to Pronger since Pronger.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He got more TOI than Nurse last night which was refreshing to see. Nurse limited to 21mins when going with 6 Dmen is a good change for all.

Having said that, he isn't anything close to Pronger in terms of effectiveness on the ice that one season. McDavid is .

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He got more TOI than Nurse last night which was refreshing to see. Nurse limited to 21mins when going with 6 Dmen is a good change for all.

Having said that, he isn't anything close to Pronger in terms of effectiveness on the ice that one season. McDavid is .
So he's not Chris Pronger, as if that guy was just over looked?

He's been an excellent fit and he appears to be a very good player.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Best dman Oilers have had since Pronger... and only making $6 million. You can just see how he oozes leadership. It's like we also traded for a better version of Bouchard as well when we got Ekholm.

$15 million for your top 2 dmen doesn't sound so bad... and makes the Nurse's contract more bearable.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I agree Ekholm isn't Pronger, but Pronger also isn't McDavid. McDavid will end up a top 3 player all time. Pronger doesn't even crack the top 20.

Either way Ekholm is refreshing on the backend. He does a lot of things better than Nurse and he's much more calm under pressure than Nurse. Nurse playing 20 mins per night should solidify our 2nd pair. Ekholm should be up in the 22-24min range regularly going forward.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I agree Ekholm isn't Pronger, but Pronger also isn't McDavid. McDavid will end up a top 3 player all time. Pronger doesn't even crack the top 20.
Which is why I included 'that season' .. Pronger controlled the game for our team like no one else before and including McDavid..

I can live with "best Dman since Pronger" if/once Ekholm shows some more physicality and offense.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Which is why I included 'that season' .. Pronger controlled the game for our team like no one else before and including McDavid..

I can live with "best Dman since Pronger" if/once Ekholm shows some more physicality and offense.
Even if he doesn’t, which dman since Pronger have we had that is better?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

You might be surprised to learn a couple things.

Chris Pronger, in his year in Edmonton, didn't even average a hit per game (65 hits in 80 games in the regular season). He was nasty when he had to be, but most of his effectiveness came from his smarts, reach, and positioning moreso than his physicality.

Additionally, over the last 5 seasons, Mattias Ekholm is 19th in the NHL for even strength points among D. And he's never had a McDavid or a Draisaitl to pass to. At evens, he's been more productive than guys like Ekblad, Pietrangelo, Hughes, Heiskanen, Morrissey, and many other surprising names.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I'd even consider Sheldon Souray's 08/09 season. The man was a beast and was actually good in his own zone despite the Team we had then. I believe he even lead the team in goals and possibly points.

**Remember, I'm talking about that one particular season.

Pronger
Ekholm
Souray (Injury issues/Feud with Lowe) ~ Amazing shot
Nurse
Visnovsky (injuries)

Are my top 5 since the last cup final

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
The Pronger comparison is a bit unfair. Pronger was a literal cheat code on defense. Much like McDavid is today on the other side of the ice.

Nevertheless Ekholm is IMO far and away the best overall stabilizing defensemen we have had since Pronger. Just love seeing him not scare the crap out of me in the d-zone.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'd even consider Sheldon Souray's 08/09 season. The man was a beast and was actually good in his own zone despite the Team we had then. I believe he even lead the team in goals and possibly points.

Pronger
Ekholm
Nurse
Visnovsky (injuries)

Whitney before gimped foot was pretty good.

Klefbom, Gilbert a couple other good ones.

TheTradeIsOneForOne

Sep 16, 2019

Pronger
Ekholm
Nurse
Visnovsky (injuries)

Sekera also had a couple pretty damn good seasons for us.

Reactions: guymez and Vagabond

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Not that he had his best season here, but the 'best defenseman we had since Pronger' discussion does deserve this honorable mention:

1678218680465.png

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He's been everything as advertised and then some, so I'm very happy with him.

As for Pronger, I seem to recall the first half or so of the year, he actually struggled, as the NHL just introduced their new holding, etc rules, trying to open up things, and Chris had some problems adjusting. Once he got the hang of it though, he was fantastic.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He's been everything as advertised and then some, so I'm very happy with him.

As for Pronger, I seem to recall the first half or so of the year, he actually struggled, as the NHL just introduced their new holding, etc rules, trying to open up things, and Chris had some problems adjusting. Once he got the hang of it though, he was fantastic.
It was actually the year he never got suspended and took less PIMs, Mac-T really had him focused staying on the ice. Plus he was just awesome.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You know he's a great pick up when at first guys were comparing him to Barrie.....and now its Pronger.
No one’s comparing him to Pronger, just that he is better than all the guys we have had…since Pronger. If you slowly go back in time he is better than all the guys, but once you hit Pronger, he stops being better. Pronger was a way better player, but everyone since then hasn’t been great.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00