Player Discussion Mattias Ekholm

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
What is it now? 17-2-1 since acquiring Ekholm? Who the #&@£ cares about Brind'Amour, or any other player not currently on the Oil?

Ekholm is quickly becoming the best asset acquired in a trade in a very long time (ever?).

Let that sink in ... 17-2-1
Players who don’t want to be here don’t succeed here. Let BrindAmour go lose in Anaheim while we win with the likes of Philp in our bottom six. Ekholms kids will grow up loving it here while their Dad is a cornerstone of this teams success

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Honestly I wish we saw more of it. I like button. Hes not afraid to go against the grain and have his own opinion (albeit is usually wrong). Too many media guys just agree with each other and it makes for boring television.

I remember he didnt like Ristolainan in his draft year and had him ranked outside the 1st round. Sometimes is nice to see guys challenge things.

Having said that he couldnt be more wrong about Ekholm and it's nice to see him eat his words and own up to it.

I like the fact that Button is opinionated as well. The only thing I dont really like about him is that I think he has too much bias against Edmonton in general. Like his rant about Oilers picking up Ekholm instead of Chychrun. I think if the Oilers would of got Chychrun instead, I could see him saying we should of picked up Ekholm because thats the type of player we need. The other thing that always bugs me about Button is that he was very high on Bouchard/Broberg saying they would be top pairing dman. But feels like once they were on Oilers, he just ignores them.

I will always love his TSN video where the panel is talking about Matthews from like 5 years ago. And he just flat out tells them that hes not as good as Draisaitl.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
What's up with the Canadian law about purchasing a home? I know Ekholm got one in Nashville a couple years ago but I'm guessing he's selling and buying around there. But I hear he can't buy a house for at least 2 more years?

Also, congrats on your run, I'll be officially on the bandwagon once our season fully concludes though we're eliminated already.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
What's up with the Canadian law about purchasing a home? I know Ekholm got one in Nashville a couple years ago but I'm guessing he's selling and buying around there. But I hear he can't buy a house for at least 2 more years?

Also, congrats on your run, I'll be officially on the bandwagon once our season fully concludes though we're eliminated already.

Gov f***ed up and is back peddling some portions

Reactions: Oilhawks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

No one ever knows lol. But I don't think it really applies to him. I thought it was more against people that don't actually live here buying places.

Although who the heck knows how it applies to someone that may not have it as their primary residence.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Ah yes, the rule they tried to put in place to that 90% of Vancouver housing isn't foreign owned.

If they knew what they were doing they could have implemented it without causing current projects to be put on hold and effectively making it worse. They backpedaled, fact.

I don’t care what silly party anyone votes for (conservatives could have done more to prevent it as well IMO) it’s also a fact that the government has fumbled the housing situation in Canada, which has one of the most inflated markets in the developed world and a ridiculous cost of ownership.

Preventing a wealthy athlete from buying a luxury residence where he and his family will live for 3+ years isn’t solving any problems

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Players who don’t want to be here don’t succeed here. Let BrindAmour go lose in Anaheim while we win with the likes of Philp in our bottom six. Ekholms kids will grow up loving it here while their Dad is a cornerstone of this teams success
Like father like son.

1681334035852.png

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Ekholm has been fantastic. Not only his play but his impact on the other defensemen and probably the goalies has been huge. It looks like Barrie also been better for you than some outside of Edmonton thought. Despite what you here, often from Leaf fans, he was actually good value for his contract and should never have been viewed as "negative value".

As far as buying a home, the rules were changed a couple of weeks ago to allow people on work permits to buy a house so long as they have at least 183 days left on their permit.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What is it now? 17-2-1 since acquiring Ekholm? Who the #&@£ cares about Brind'Amour, or any other player not currently on the Oil?

Ekholm is quickly becoming the best asset acquired in a trade in a very long time (ever?).

Let that sink in ... 17-2-1

I like him but for a "longtimeoilfan" you should probably know the Oilers have had some absolute home run trades before

default.jpg

144055_lg.jpeg

Can probably add Roloson, Cujo, and Bill Ranford (think he won something called a Conn Smythe trophy or something) too.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Ekholm started his Oilers tenure like every fan imagines a new player has to break out with his team. Doesn't happen very often but when it does, it's a joy to witness.
Unreal stats line but watching Bouchard improving game by game with Ek alongside him was equally nice to see.

Reactions: TB12
Feb 9, 2013
I like him but for a "longtimeoilfan" you should probably know the Oilers have had some absolute home run trades before

default.jpg

144055_lg.jpeg

Can probably add Roloson, Cujo, and Bill Ranford (think he won something called a Conn Smythe trophy or something) too.
You're not wrong ... but I am starting to believe acquiring Ekholm should be included in any/every discussion of A+ Oiler acquisitions.

18-2-1

Feb 9, 2013
If/when we win a cup with Ekholm, how does that situate him vis-a-vis Pronger and company?

Hoping Ekholm doesn't fool around on his wife and subsequently demand a trade. As good as Pronger was, he was a douche (it's part of what made him good).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad