Matthews v. Laine who finishes this season with more goals

Matthews v. Laine who finishes this season with more goals

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Matthews has 17 5v5 goals in 41 games, Grabner has 13 5v5 goals in 48 games. Yeah facts are facts, but that only matters if you get them right
Maybe step away from the All Leafs and nothing else and follow the league sigh
NHL.com - Stats

5O5PT93.png

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Very interesting thread. It will likely be close I'd think. Probably comes down to whoever wants it more.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Very interesting thread. It will likely be close I'd think. Probably comes down to whoever wants it more.

I am actually interested to see how Laine plays in the 2nd half of the year, especially with something on the line this year. I don't think he has been as dynamic offensively this year, but he has really started to round off his game and play to the Jets more defensive style that has paid off in them being a top 4 team in the NHL. This sacrifice has not gone unnoticed on me. And he still leads the team in goals despite not having a regular Center this year. Both guys are terrific goal scorers, it should be close one way or the other as it was last season too.

Reactions: libertarian

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You sure about this? Not from what I have read here. This excuse has been brought up every time player comparison threads against players such as for McDavid, Eichel or Barzal have been made this season.

For the record, I don't think either player cares about an award over making the playoffs. At least this year Laine has the advantage to play in meaningful games, and I do believe he is better in these games as his Kurri award season indicated.

Historically he has shown he can become a beast when the playoffs are nearing and are here.
So you are dismissing Matthews winning the Calder and taking the Leafs to the playoffs in his rookie season when they finished last the year before, however you can say Laine winning MVP in the Finnish league playoffs is a better accomplishment? Wow if your Leafs bias has not been shown before it sure was with this response.

Also where have Leafs fans used Matthews injury as an excuse? If anyone talked about we said his goals and points totals might be higher. Funny how that excuse was ok for Laine. However it's no where as crazy and excuse filled with what Laine's fans said about his concussion from last season.

In the end if Laine was projected to be a better goal scorer he should have way more goals than Matthews, so for them to be tied with Matthews missing 11 games shows that Laine is not far and away the better player or goal scorer.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
who cares about where and how players get their goals when we're discussing who will score more goals? Gee idk, good question

I don't think anyone cares who is better at scoring at even strength this year for this poll/question. If that was the poll question it would be a point worth mentioning. This poll asks simply who will score more goals this year/rest of the year. So the logic of bringing up even strength scoring was nonsensical as it was self-serving, since all goals count for this poll.

Reactions: libertarian

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
\
So you are dismissing Matthews winning the Calder and taking the Leafs to the playoffs in his rookie season when they finished last the year before, however you can say Laine winning MVP in the Finnish league playoffs is a better accomplishment? Wow if your Leafs bias has not been shown before it sure was with this response.

Also where have Leafs fans used Matthews injury as an excuse? If anyone talked about we said his goals and points totals might be higher. Funny how that excuse was ok for Laine. However it's no where as crazy and excuse filled with what Laine's fans said about his concussion from last season.

In the end if Laine was projected to be a better goal scorer he should have way more goals than Matthews, so for them to be tied with Matthews missing 11 games shows that Laine is not far and away the better player or goal scorer.

This was last year's discussion. Not sure what it has to do with this thread? I only responded to you since you replied to me Leafs fans never mention Matthews' injury woes this year. And I corrected you. They have many, many times.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
\

This was last year's discussion. Not sure what it has to do with this thread? I only responded to you since you replied to me Leafs fans never mention Matthews' injury woes this year. And I corrected you. They have many, many times.
Since Laine winning MVP in the Finish league playoffs was in 2016 I can ask you what it has to do with this discussion? It had nothing to do with how he played in the NHL during his rookie season, where as the accomplishments Matthews got last year had to do with the NHL and not the Finish League.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Since Laine winning MVP in the Finish league playoffs was in 2016 I can ask you what it has to do with this discussion? It had nothing to do with how he played in the NHL during his rookie season, where as the accomplishments Matthews got last year had to do with the NHL and not the Finish League.

It simply means I am giving Laine a vote of confidence in this poll since it asks for an opinion on who and why player a or b will score more in the 2nd half of the season. And Laine has shown in his Kurri winning year, he can elevate his game when they are more important. Something that the Jets really never were in the position in the last month of the season last year.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It simply means I am giving Laine a vote of confidence in this poll since it asks for an opinion on who and why player a oe b will score more in the 2nd half of the season. And Laine has shown in his Kurri winning year, he can elevate his game when they are more important. Something that the Jets really never were in the position in the last month of the season last year.
Yet at the NHL level he has not done that yet. Could he get it done, we will have to wait and see. However we know what Matthews has done in pressure games and so far his resume at the NHL level is still better than anything Laine has done.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yet at the NHL level he has not done that yet. Could he get it done, we will have to wait and see. However we know what Matthews has done in pressure games and so far his resume at the NHL level is still better than anything Laine has done.

Sure he has never done it before. He's 19. But no teenager has scored 100 pts since play a did it many many years ago either. But Laine did it and not many thought he could when he came out of training camp last year. So yes, it is a good question and this is why it is interesting. I have a feeling I know what kind of player Laine is. What makes him tick. Playing meaningful games, some players relish the moment. Some not as much. IMO Laine fits the former.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Sure he has never done it before. He's 19. But no teenager has scored 100 pts since play a did it many many years ago either. But Laine did it and not many thought he could when he came out of training camp last year. So yes, it is a good question and this is why it is interesting. I have a feeling I know what kind of player Laine is. What makes him tick. Playing meaningful games, some players relish the moment. Some not as much. IMO Laine fits the former.
That's all well and good, however I would still take what Matthews has already done over Laine's potential. At the end of the regular season if Matthews ends up scoring more goals than Laine I hope this thread gets brought back up and still compare them.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That's all well and good, however I would still take what Matthews has already done over Laine's potential. At the end of the regular season if Matthews ends up scoring more goals than Laine I hope this thread gets brought back up and still compare them.

I don't know, maybe Matthews will. I am not one to poo pa Matthews 17.2% shooting percentage. He's a good finisher. Infact he could have more goals. I recall he missed the net in the last min that looked like a sure goal I think against the Hawks but you will probably recall better. Good finishers have better than average shooting percentages. Laine is sitting at 15.2% this year. He's probably due for a good run. We shall see. Both guys have proven they can score in this league.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010

I’m not too concerned about goals, they will both be close at years ends.
I’d rather see Matthews start setting up Nylander for some goals. If a player like Matthews can’t make Nylander look good, who can?

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Matthews has already missed his time due to injury and is tied with Laine. Laine gets prime time powerplay opportunities that Matthews isn’t gifted, so seeing as how Matthews has already scored as many in far less games, the smart money is on Matthews to handily our score Laine (assuming they both play hebrest of the games his season)
Laine isn't gifted time, he's one of the best PP players in the entire league. Obviously Matthews isn't good enough on the PP to get similar time...

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
I would like to see that as well. However if Nylander can't finish or gets stopped by the other teams goalie, how is that on Matthews?

Oh your right. It’s speaking volumes on Nylander abilities, and not so much Matthews.

I’d still like to see it, more for Nylander sake.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Laine isn't gifted time, he's one of the best PP players in the entire league. Obviously Matthews isn't good enough on the PP to get similar time...
The stats show that the JVR, Bozak and Marner line has been better on the power play this season. Matthews does get his chances, however sometimes the other line might have scored on the power play in question or the Matthews line drew the call and Babcock started the other line.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's interesting that Matthews is now shooting at close to the same % Laine was last season. For Laine it was unsustainable. For Matthews it's because he is the greatest goalscorer in the history of man kind.

Reactions: dukeofjive
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad