Matthews v. Laine who finishes this season with more goals

Matthews v. Laine who finishes this season with more goals

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I don't care for this debate but something cool I came across is their difference in PPP.

Laine has 50 GP 22 G 17 A 39 P with 17 PPP
Matthews has 41 GP 22 G 15 A 37 P with 6 PPP

Matty has 9 less games played but that is a massive difference in PPP.

Leafs have the 7th best PP% with the 15th most PPG scored.
Jets have the 2nd best PP% with the 2nd most PPG scored.

Leafs have 31 less power play opportunities than the Jets with 1 more game played. Fascinating.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
I don't care for this debate but something cool I came across is their difference in PPP.

Leafs have 31 less power play opportunities than the Jets with 1 more game played. Fascinating.

Hmmm, given how often wpg gets power plays, and how good Laine is at scoring on them you make a pretty good argument for Laine scoring more by the end of the year.

Fascinating in deed, good stats!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews because when he gets on a streak he scores goals in a lot of consecutive games.

Also it's funny how Matthews has missed 11 games and he and Laine are currently tied with 22 goals. Last year when Laine got hurt all we heard from his supporters how the games he missed was a reason why he didn't score more goals and points than Matthews. Funny how it's the reverse and Laine still can't pull away from him.

Reactions: Garthinater and 6ix

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is almost like the reverse of what happened last year, where Laine missed 9 games and scored 36 goals to Matthews 40 in 82 games.

Assuming the status quo occurs this year. I would have to say Laine.
One difference is Leafs fans are not using his injury as an excuse. Plus there is no award for them to fight over like it was with the Calder.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland

Kessel has 33 PPP
Crosby has 28 PPP
Malkin has 26 PPP
Stamkos has 26 PPP
Kucherov has 22 PPP
Ovechkin has 20 PPP

So naturally Laine fits pretty well in this group, unlike Matthews. Fascinating

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Kessel has 33 PPP
Crosby has 28 PPP
Malkin has 26 PPP
Stamkos has 26 PPP
Kucherov has 22 PPP
Ovechkin has 20 PPP

Yea that's pretty crazy. Leafs top PPP guy is JVR with 13. All of Tampa, Pittsburgh and Winnipeg are top 5 in PP opportunities in the league. So it makes sense why they are all up there. Ovechkin is just a beast. Caps are middle of the pack and he's still up there. That's the most impressive.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Kessel has 33 PPP
Crosby has 28 PPP
Malkin has 26 PPP
Stamkos has 26 PPP
Kucherov has 22 PPP
Ovechkin has 20 PPP

yeah it's cause Babcock splits his PP units rather than stacking one and giving that unit more time. Fascinating

Want to see what group Laine fits in when it comes to 5v5 play? I don't think you'll like it

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews not close really. 10 missed games and theyre still tied? matthews will probably end tge season somewhere around 6 to 10 goals more.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
But who cares anyway really, Matthews didnt even score 50 goals before he turned 20 so... :P
Nope all he did was score 40 goals and the first rookie since Ovechkin to reach that number.

Plus he was also the third 1st overall pick since 1997 to lead his team into the playoffs after being drafted 1 year before.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
One difference is Leafs fans are not using his injury as an excuse. Plus there is no award for them to fight over like it was with the Calder.

You sure about this? Not from what I have read here. This excuse has been brought up every time player comparison threads against players such as for McDavid, Eichel or Barzal have been made this season.

For the record, I don't think either player cares about an award over making the playoffs. At least this year Laine has the advantage to play in meaningful games, and I do believe he is better in these games as his Kurri award season indicated.

Historically he has shown he can become a beast when the playoffs are nearing and are here.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Matthews will seperate himself from Laine in the coming stretch. Laine hype has really died down this season what with his percentages normalizing. He'll develop into a good James Neal type player and there's nothing wrong with that at all.
Lol already grading him as a 50 point 30 goal player at 19 yes he has peaked folks 103 pts and 58 goals in his 1st 123 games sure spells out Neal's career , this site at times , you can't be serious.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Matthews is ahead of Grabner in both of those things I listed so I have no clue what point you're trying to make
Sorry bubba Grabner has 21 5/5 goals to Matthews 20 so using your own gauge Grabner better 5/5 goals scorer facts are facts right ? And how you leaf fans love to bring min played into it Grabner >> than Matthews 5/5 facts are facts right ?

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Sorry bubba Grabner has 21 5/5 goals to Matthews 20 so using your own gauge Grabner better 5/5 goals scorer facts are facts right ? And how you leaf fans love to bring min played into it Grabner >> than Matthews 5/5 facts are facts right ?
Who does that?

On a goals per game basis, Matthews has more. Doesn't help your cause when you're unable to look up basic stats :laugh:

Reactions: Garthinater and 6ix

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Who does that?

On a goals per game basis, Matthews has more. Doesn't help your cause when you're unable to look up basic stats :laugh:
Um he was comparing Matthews 5/5 goals to Laines so I was just showing him Grabner has more 5/5 goals also Grabners 5/5 goals per 60 is higher than Matthew this year and last and obviously Matthews is the better player not like quoting something dumb like Laine has peaked out at 19 at James Neal level who started his career at 21 now that's just homerish garbage leaf fans throw out to belittle another teams player

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Matthews has 17 5v5 goals in 41 games, Grabner has 13 5v5 goals in 48 games. Yeah facts are facts, but that only matters if you get them right

Reactions: Garthinater

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Matthews is just the product of the elite playmaking ability of Leo Komarov. If you look at their individual stats, Matthews goals per 60 rises significantly when paired with the great Leo. With Leo Komarov declining over the course of the season, you can see why Matthews numbers have dropped significantly the past 2 months. And with the addition of Komarov being in Babcock's dog house, I would have to lean towards Laine finishing with more goals.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Shouldn't be scoring PP goals be a positive in this specific poll of who will score most goals the remainder of the year? To suggest it is not. Is beyond dumb. Sort of like saying Ovie will not have a chance to win the Rocket this year because he scores a lot of PP goals, and William Karlsson stands a better chance to because he does 5v5. Go figure for some...lol

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Shouldn't be scoring PP goals be a positive in this poll of who will score most goals the remainder of the year? To suggest it is not. Is beyond dumb. Sort of like saying Ovie will not have a chance to win the Rocket because he scores PP goals, and William Karlsson stands a better chance. Go figure for some...lol
who said it's not? I said Matthews has the clear advantage at 5v5, and Laine has the advantage on the PP

Reactions: Garthinater
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad