Matthews v. Laine who finishes this season with more goals

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
We have not had one of these threads in a while. So lets get at it.

With Matthews missing time for his injury Laine has been able to close the gap and they currently sit tied at 22 each.

Who do you think pulls ahead at the end of the season?

With Matthews back from his injury and ready to burn down villages and Laine moving up to the first line due to Marks injury and receiving more ice time (compared to earlier in the season) it could be an interesting race.

I would like to see Lainec close out at 40+ but I have a feeling Matthews will pull ahead again by the end of the season.

Reactions: Kelly

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
its all-star break.

Time for a MvL poll that is full of speculation, big expectations and uncertainty.. as nothing is final until the season is done
You know as well as I that this thread will not go well. There hasn't been a topic this uncivil here since the Chara hit on Pacioretty

Reactions: Johnny Steps

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is almost like the reverse of what happened last year, where Laine missed 9 games and scored 36 goals to Matthews 40 in 82 games.

Assuming the status quo occurs this year. I would have to say Laine.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Matthews has already missed his time due to injury and is tied with Laine. Laine gets prime time powerplay opportunities that Matthews isn’t gifted, so seeing as how Matthews has already scored as many in far less games, the smart money is on Matthews to handily our score Laine (assuming they both play hebrest of the games his season)

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I recall this comparison made before, both are the best pure goal scorers I have seen in quite some time. I believe both will win their share of Rocket Richard trophies. 2 great young snipers that are also complete players. I will go with Matthews since he has had a better year, and I do see him having more room for improvement.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews will seperate himself from Laine in the coming stretch. Laine hype has really died down this season what with his percentages normalizing. He'll develop into a good James Neal type player and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Reactions: 6ix

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Could you not asked something, who scores the most goals before they turn 20 or something.... :P

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Matthews is simply better. It's amazing how he's tied with supposedly the next great goal scorer despite missing 20% of the season. Part of it is that Laine is just extremely disappointing at 5v5 whereas Matthews is among the best

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Matthews has pretty unsustainable oiSH at 12% and 104 PDO. Laine has 10 oiSH and 101,7 PDO. Matthews likely regresses from current pace so Laine should be winning this.

Reactions: libertarian

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Matthews because he’s willing to go to the dirty areas and score some greasy goals on top of his snipes.

Can’t deny Laines shot is insane but hockey is about battling in front of the net and getting some greasy goals, especially in the playoffs when there’s very little open ice.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
This season one has a GPG of .537 and the other has a GPG of 0.44. One game difference in games remaining, safe bet is on Matthews.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
How do teammates shooting percentages and sv% factor in here?

Cuz that was the only argument Leafs-fans had against laine last year when he had higher GPG then Matthews.. bla bla PDO, shooting % teamates shooting %% bla bla. It is a circle, you only use it when it supports your claim, when it is not, it is irrelevant...

But who cares anyway really, Matthews didnt even score 50 goals before he turned 20 so... :P

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Cuz that was the only argument Leafs-fans had against laine last year when he had higher GPG then Matthews.. bla bla PDO, shooting % teamates shooting %% bla bla. It is a circle, you only use it when it supports your claim, when it is not, it is irrelevant...

But who cares anyway really, Matthews didnt even score 50 goals before he turned 20 so... :P
Not what happened and pointless brag based on factors nobody could control. Cool post

Reactions: Garthinater

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
at 5v5 Matthews has 17 goals to Laine's 10, despite him missing 10 games. he's also significantly better in ixgf. The only advantages Laine has are his better shot and he gets way better PP minutes

Reactions: IceBoxHockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad