Matthew Tkachuk or Mitchell Marner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Marner is Tasked to carry every line that he’s on, Tkachuk is not, that’s what separates the two right now.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
They're too different for this poll.
I could see teams preferring either one of them based on their needs or styles.
I think they're both great fits for their respective teams and I feel pretty confident neither team would trade their guy for the other guy 1-for-1

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This really depends on the make up of the team.

For Calgary, you have Gaudreau. It would make no sense having Marner on the same team. Tkachuk is a better fit.

For Toronto, they would probably love a player of Tkachuk's size and edge in their top 2 lines. But Marner is a better fit for their team.

So the true answer is it all depends...

Edit: I am not sure if The Leafs would take Tkachuk or Marner. But When I think about Matthews with a player of Tkachuk's possession metrics, grit and skill on a line with Nylander. I think Tkachuk may be more valuable. That would be one scary line.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Edit: I am not sure if The Leafs would take Tkachuk or Marner. But When I think about Matthews with a player of Tkachuk's possession metrics, grit and skill on a line with Nylander. I think Tkachuk may be more valuable. That would be one scary line.
I was thinking the same thing for the leafs. They could really use a player like Tkachuk on the team.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
This really depends on the make up of the team.

For Calgary, you have Gaudreau. It would make no sense having Marner on the same team. Tkachuk is a better fit.

For Toronto, they would probably love a player of Tkachuk's size and edge in their top 2 lines. But Marner is a better fit for their team.

So the true answer is it all depends...

I like the logic but I think it might be more useful to spread the talent to more than one line.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Marner is Tasked to carry every line that he’s on, Tkachuk is not, that’s what separates the two right now.

I wasn't aware Marner carried Bozak, JVR and Kadri; the three players he plays with most. And all guys that were 45-65 point players before Marner was even legal.
It's like saying his ceiling is much higher; just random saying with nothing really behind it. What's each guys' ceiling? In Calgary, we're watching the guy become an elite winger in front of our eyes. Since he's been given the couple minutes extra a game, the guy's got 16 points in 18 games; last night he could of had a few more; his line was consistently the most dangerous on the ice (including Johnny's line which mauled the Devils).

So what's his ceiling? A premier power-forward in the NHL?
What's Marner's ceiling? A premier skill forward in the NHL?

IF both guys get to the level their respective fan-bases think they can, they're both going to be 70-80 point players. Is Marner's ceiling going to be 100+ points? I personally don't see that, but hey, if others do that's great.

Another item, that's just being glossed over is the defensive side of the game, and anything other than point production (which, FYI, is even this year; favouring Tkachuk for PPG). Like, one guy is getting called out by his coach for defensive mistakes, and the other one is playing against the best players in the league every single night. One guy won't be on the ice protecting a lead with 60 seconds left to play, the other one certainly will. What about the Toews awards? Tkachuk is now Calgary's team representative when we lose a game to talk to the media, that's intangible, but it's awesome having one of your budding stars being a leader like that.

Possession metrics we all know, Matt Tkachuk is one of the best in the league.

One of the other arguments was 'Marner does things few others in the NHL can do'. Sweet, so does Tkachuk. Let me know how many players can get a puck behind the net, shield off 1-2 defenders and make power moves to the front of the net; while trying between the legs shots at the same time? Calgary's got this play now, where Tkachuk gets behind the net, Backlund will normally feed it down low, and Tkachuk will either make a brilliant little pass back into the slot, or he'll take a defender or two in front of the net.

Dunno, I see two guys with similar offensive packages, but one that brings a lot more to the table. But I'm a homer, so, at least I can admit it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not instead of a player like Marner though.
lol, no of course not.

Well both of you are Leafs fans. I am not surprised you both would not.

But ask Lamoriello or Babcock whether they would like a winger and player of Tkachuk's abilities with Matthews on the 1st line for the next decade or Marner with Bozak and JVR or Kadri and Marleau. I think the answer is a very easy one there. Tkachuk.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Power forwards don't last nearly as long as playmaking wingers. Marner will end up playing 300+ games over their careers.
This is such an irrelevant statement. Same type of comment as last year saying Marner is better than Gaudreau and will be better in the future as well. Everyone is an expert at predicting things in the NHL........

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

But ask Lamoriello or Babcock whether they would like a winger and player of Tkachuk's abilities with Matthews on the 1st line for the next decade or Marner with Bozak and JVR or Kadri and Marleau. I think the answer is a very easy one there. Tkachuk.
Yeah no.

You have no place to call out others on their bias, either.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown

I like the Leafs and the Flames (plus many other teams), but I already said the Leafs would kill to have Chuck on the team as they could use a player like him on the wing. So I don't know why your giving off that attack vibe. Now if they had to choose between the two I think they would stick with Marner because they need his creativity too. I don't know why that's so hard for you to understand :huh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah no.

You have no place to call out others on their bias, either.

What are you talking about? I made a case I would rather see Tkachuk on a line with Matthews and Nylander. Rather than see Marner with Kadri or Marleau or Marner with Bozak and JVR, or at times Marner with Moore and Martin this year. Not hard to see the logic there.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I like the Leafs and the Flames (plus many other teams), but I already said the Leafs would kill to have Chuck on the team as they could use a player like him on the wing. So I don't know why your giving off that attack vibe. Now if they had to choose between the two I think they would stick with Marner because they need his creativity too. I don't know why that's so hard for you to understand :huh:

Not from your post history. Your previous user name is visible, you do know this?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
What are you talking about? I made a case I would rather see Tkachuk on a line with Matthews and Nylander. Rather than see Marner with Kadri or Marleau or Marner with Bozak and JVR, or at times Marner with Moore and Martin this year. Not hard to see the logic there.
Leafs are a deeper and better team having Marner on one of the other lines driving the offense.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Leafs are a deeper and better team having Marner on one of the other lines driving the offense.

By the same argument. They have depth, but they do not have a player in Tkachuk's size, meanness, skill, and possession metrics. Infact, other than Marchand for Boston. Neither do most teams. Which is why Tkachuk is more valuable, since these players are extremely harder to find and draft than a smaller skilled playmaking winger.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I remember when Marner was better than Gaudreau. Gaudreau could miss the rest of the season and still outscore Marner by 5-10 points.

Coin toss at this point, but I'll take Tkachuk based on how he's progressed this year.
Why not compare them at the same ages (Gaudreau & Marner)? Oh right I see why you won't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad