Prospect Info: Matthew Robertson, LD, 2nd round, 49th overall, 2019

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Oh i absolutely LOVE Lindgren! Im impressed we got him signed for only 3m per. If he finds some offensive game which i see he is really trying to develop along with more speed. I really liked what i saw this season with his growth.
Robertson is probably our best kept secret as far as prospects go. He’s going to be a very good NHL Defenseman

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Lindgren is essentially our second coming of Michael Sauer so I think people don't really need a reminder to remember how good he was ;)
But yeah, our team could use two more.

Yes, a meaner hopefully more durable sauer is a good comp so far in the young mans career.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He has looked pretty good. The offense he displayed last year in the WHL was somewhat unexpected, so it's not totally surprising that we haven't seen it this year. Defensively he's pretty good, and I'd say he's better carrying the puck than moving it. All in all he's having a nice season overall and seems on track for a call-up at some point next season and a potential full-time push in 23-24.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
He has looked pretty good. The offense he displayed last year in the WHL was somewhat unexpected, so it's not totally surprising that we haven't seen it this year. Defensively he's pretty good, and I'd say he's better carrying the puck than moving it. All in all he's having a nice season overall and seems on track for a call-up at some point next season and a potential full-time push in 23-24.

Seems like his ceiling can be a Brady Skjei type? Brady had his warts and was asked to do to much but he's basically been a top 4 D-man since he entered the league.

Reactions: mas0764

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Seems like his ceiling can be a Brady Skjei type? Brady had his warts and was asked to do to much but he's basically been a top 4 D-man since he entered the league.
His game reminds me a bit of a young Marc Staal.

Obviously Marc’s game got a little simpler in the pros but Robertsons will likely have to as well. He won’t have as much time and space for puck lugging

Reactions: McRanger92

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

Offensive production was unexpected last year?

He had 47 points in 60 games the year before 22 and 22 last year.

Far more goals the year before as well.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Offensive production was unexpected last year?

He had 47 points in 60 games the year before 22 and 22 last year.

Far more goals the year before as well.
So, I'm talking not just about his raw production but also how he played. He looked like a different player last season, one much more focused on the offensive side of the puck, which was never really thought to be his game. It manifested itself in things like his shot rate jumping from 2.8 SOG per game to almost 5 SOG per game. I guess it's fair to say his raw output was a reasonable projection based on the prior season, but his actual play was not, IMO. He is never going to be a true offensive catalyst who drives the play, which is fine as he excels in other areas. I probably worded that part of my post poorly.

Reactions: QJL

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
TBH, he plus Jones are why I could live with the RIGHT trade of K'Andre (like for a young high-upside C)
and/or Nils

Neither Jones nor Robertson have close to K'Andre's upside.

And (to be devils advocate) neither bring back as good a player as Miller would in a trade.
only 6 (or 7) Dmen are playing at a time. Rangers can’t sign everyone. They can’t play everyone. Decisions are going to need to be made.

yeah, we are basically agreeing
NYR hit an anomalous situation with the consecutive 1stOA ands 2ndOA where the Wings were BPA
which has left them in a situation where the best piece to add may be a young high-upside C
those don't come cheap,
and if K is the highest value asset which could adequately replaced, and a really tempting option is presented to NYR, they are in position to consider it

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Neither Jones nor Robertson have close to K'Andre's upside.

They also won't command his salary either.

Unfortunately with the cap you gotta balance the line up with production vs cost benefit.

I'm sure Nashville would have loved to keep all of Suter, Weber, Josi, Klein, Jones, Hamhuis, Eckholm, etc..over the past decade and a half.

We probably move on from Lindgren and Trouba at some point. I guess it all depends on if and when Key breaks out. At the very least, Jones and Robertson give us options.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
And (to be devils advocate) neither bring back as good a player as Miller would in a trade.

only 6 (or 7) Dmen are playing at a time. Rangers can’t sign everyone. They can’t play everyone. Decisions are going to need to be made.
Have to look at it as what would you prefer Jones+Robertson+return for Miller and/or Lundkvist, or Miller and/or Lundkvist +return for Jones and Robertson? Also, have to think of it from the team as a whole. As you said, a good young center for Miller? If the upgrade at C is greater than the drop-off on D, it is a good deal.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Have to look at it as what would you prefer Jones+Robertson+return for Miller and/or Lundkvist, or Miller and/or Lundkvist +return for Jones and Robertson? Also, have to think of it from the team as a whole. As you said, a good young center for Miller? If the upgrade at C is greater than the drop-off on D, it is a good deal.
I mean let’s just say my only untouchable is Schneider

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
yeah, we are basically agreeing
NYR hit an anomalous situation with the consecutive 1stOA ands 2ndOA where the Wings were BPA
which has left them in a situation where the best piece to add may be a young high-upside C
those don't come cheap,
and if K is the highest value asset which could adequately replaced, and a really tempting option is presented to NYR, they are in position to consider it

@patnyrnyg said it more clearly than I

I love K, but believe in Jones and Robertson too

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've said it a few times with Miller--if there's a deal out there for a big upgrade at C or even RW, and he has to be the centerpiece or a main component, I would entertain the deal. It would have to really be a big upgrade, though. And someone with term, as well.

I would not otherwise go dangling Miller because I also like Jones and Robertson. As in, I wouldn't proactively try to move him because of confidence that those two will be as good or better.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I've said it a few times with Miller--if there's a deal out there for a big upgrade at C or even RW, and he has to be the centerpiece or a main component, I would entertain the deal. It would have to really be a big upgrade, though. And someone with term, as well.

I would not otherwise go dangling Miller because I also like Jones and Robertson. As in, I wouldn't proactively try to move him because of confidence that those two will be as good or better.

agreed.
I think both Jones and Robertson can be solid 3/4 guys in their careers. Both playing different styles obviously.
KAM has the size/speed/tools to be a paryanko type D if he hits his ceiling.
He won’t be a huge hitter, but a big man that you can get the puck away from when he’s skating fwd with a head of steam.
I also think his offensive game is going to grow a lot at the nhl level.
He’s the player that likely goes for the long term 2c that’s cost controlled as you said above.
Other GMs will want him and hope he hits that ceiling. Trouba has been great for him

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

If they believe Robertson can fill K Mils skates and be the next man up, then I am fine with this. Im a big Jones fan but would prefer more size and length if Miller were to be traded. Thats were Robertson comes in.

As far as value goes, KMs should be very high to extremely high around the league. I've said it before, I'm not in a rush to move him. If he can develop his physical game he will be a very rare commodity in this league. He's played on a top pairing for 100 NHL games and is 5th on the team in avg ice time this season. He's already proven at 22 (and just turned 22 at that). They traded up to get this kid too.

But as you said, you need to get back a difference maker with term that fills a big void. It almost has to be a C, one that you wouldnt touch otherwise. If he is dealt, they better get back fair compensation and not throw in too much in addition to him

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Yeah if you move KAM it has to be for a young center.

Same should be said about Nils though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad