Prospect Info: Matthew Robertson, LD, 2nd round, 49th overall, 2019

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Would lead one to think that Miller is going to miss a few games. Hope all is okay on that end.

Robertson OTOH I hope doesn't see any action. Now he wouldn't be the first person to perform better at the NHL level than the AHL level but from what I've seen he would make us long for Hajek.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If he plays, he'll play like Schneider where he'll do some good stuff and then make a couple of idiotic mistakes that make you go WTF, man. Assuming he plays like plays in Hartford.

Reactions: egelband

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If he plays, he'll play like Schneider where he'll do some good stuff and then make a couple of idiotic mistakes that make you go WTF, man. Assuming he plays like plays in Hartford.
If he plays like Schneider then we hit the jackpot to have another NHL defenseman. With that said, I don't think he plays anywhere nears as good as Schneider but I hope i'm wrong.

I also think Schneider gets a lot of unwarranted hate for some reason but I guess that normal for Ranger defensemen as pretty much they all do.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If he plays like Schneider then we hit the jackpot to have another NHL defenseman. With that said, I don't think he plays anywhere nears as good as Schneider but I hope i'm wrong.

I also think Schneider gets a lot of unwarranted hate for some reason but I guess that normal for Ranger defensemen as pretty much they all do.
To be clear I don't "hate" Schneider. Kid makes a ton of mistakes, though. Miller also makes a lot of mistakes but he covers up for it with his freakish athleticism and also contributes a lot of 5v5 offense. Schneider doesn't do those things. He has plenty of time to develop more, though, as he isn't old for a defenseman.

If Robertson becomes an NHL player it wouldn't exactly be an upset, even if his development has been slow.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Would lead one to think that Miller is going to miss a few games. Hope all is okay on that end.

Robertson OTOH I hope doesn't see any action. Now he wouldn't be the first person to perform better at the NHL level than the AHL level but from what I've seen he would make us long for Hajek.

This. Except with Robertson a lot of times it's about puck control and passing more than Schneider where it's about terrible positioning and going down low/joining the rush at the most moronic times.

Robertson is much more likely to go tape to tape to an opposing forward in the slot than Schneider is, or fan on a clearing attempt and give up a breakaway.

His puck skills are the worst part of his game by far and I haven't seen any improvement in this area in over a year. Hopefully he's just up to practice with the team (not play in a game), and maybe he can take some NHL coaching in this area and clean it up.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Robertson is a old school stay-at-home defenseman.
His progress seemed to take a hit last year when the coaching staff in Hartford tried to add offensive to his game. The same thing is happening this year with his development.
Would love to be 100% wrong but I believe he is what he is and if he is ever to be more offensive it will be at his own place.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
His progress seemed to take a hit last year when the coaching staff in Hartford tried to add offensive to his game. The same thing is happening this year with his development.
Would love to be 100% wrong but I believe he is what he is and if he is ever to be more offensive it will be at his own place.
IIRC he had a ton of shots his final WHL season (and high +/-)
Folks/staff may have misinterpreted that
If his best consistent contribution to O is breakout passing and shots from high in zone, with steady D play, good enough for me ...

Uglybstrd

Apr 10, 2012

I`m a little late to the party; what happened to Miller?

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I’m with you. Girardi was all defense. He didn’t have such a terrible career.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
What a warrior Miller is. Despite his crack addition and battle with cancer, kids out there on the front lines fighting a war.

This is one pick Gorton absolutely nailed.
He also rescues baby kittens in between his crack and heroin parties

• Love
Reactions: Hunter Gathers

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Right? How lucky are we that organizational privacy is still a thing in New York City?

***Breaking*** Miller out in connection to his Russian, drug-abusing domestic partner crashing a stolen ice cream truck into an orphanage... for fun. Tune in to MSG game night, when the Rangers are not playing ( like you want to do that) for in depth analysis and gambling on how long his sentence will be.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
What a warrior Miller is. Despite his crack addition and battle with cancer, kids out there on the front lines fighting a war.

This is one pick Gorton absolutely nailed.
Miller is tired of racism in hockey so he is currently debating on switching to basketball as his professional sport. His demo tape will be released via DJ Mika record label lol

• Haha
Reactions: tlk

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Miller is tired of racism in hockey so he is currently debating on switching to basketball as his professional sport. His demo tape will be released via DJ Mika record label lol
Nothing is more sobering than how unfunny this board is. Hard to stay cised.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Disappointing to see but Robertson obviously has been passed on the depth chart by undrafted collegiate free agent Brandon Scanlin. Probably not long for this organization but we'll see. Decision on his future will come this summer if they decide to qualify him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad