Waived: Matt Puempel Nov 20 | Claimed by NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Dzingel destroyed him as a peer.

Then you have guys like Paul, Perron, and to a lesser extent Varone who outplayed Puempel too. Ahl and Dahlen in the future... It was time to cut ties with Puemps.

I gotta agree I didn't like getting rid of Prince, especially since I think he would have fit this team like a glove under Boucher. Alas, it was a Murray move, so I can't blame PD for that.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'd like to see a 4th line of Kelly-Lazar-McCormick once Neil hits 1000.

maybe McCormick-Kelly-Pyatt with Lazar RW in the top 9.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Disappointed that he busted, he looks scared on the ice every shift, wish him luck on turning his career around, seemed like a good kid.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Puempel is the living, breathing embodiment of a replacement level player. The Rangers picked him up because they needed a warm body right now. Once their injury problems are over, they too will waive him and sent him down unless he miraculously lights it up.

It's funny - I thought there was a chance that Hammond got picked up, but no chance that Puempel would. Turned out to be the other way around. Dorion addressed that on the radio today when he said that goal scoring is at such a premium that any guy who has ever shown the ability to score at any level gets picked up on waivers by teams willing to take a chance on them.

That may be what Dorion said, but if that were true, why didn't he trade Puempel for another asset instead of losing him on waivers. I think Dorion is just blowing smoke on the radio. I think the real reason NYR picked up Puempel is because Puempel is better than their other options due to Zibanejad's injury.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Then what does that make of Puempel's upside when he gets outplayed by a guy with 4th line upside?

Let's not go overboard, please!!!

I do like McCormick's hustle and drive, but he didn't outplay anyone.

IMO the Senators took a chance on waiving Puempel and lost him, it had nothing to do with McCormick.

It was more likely Boucher wants to play 7 D and 11 forwards and waiving Puempel was to allow this to happen.

Won't surprise me in the least if Claesson is recalled as soon as Hoffman/Ryan returns, then McCormick will be sent down.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Let's not go overboard, please!!!

I do like McCormick's hustle and drive, but he didn't outplay anyone.

IMO the Senators took a chance on waiving Puempel and lost him, it had nothing to do with McCormick.

It was more likely Boucher wants to play 7 D and 11 forwards and waiving Puempel was to allow this to happen.

Won't surprise me in the least if Claesson is recalled as soon as Hoffman/Ryan returns, then McCormick will be sent down.

I think this is overly complicating it. They've laid it out before, the NHL isn't a development league.

Look at Puempel's minutes and usage. He's not a player Boucher seems to want to use in a greater role. Is it a coincidence that Lazar came up, had a great game, and Puempel got waived?

The more likely scenario is that Puempel was on his last chance, Lazar came up and outplayed him, and now they've finally waived Puempel because he isn't going to make it on Boucher's team. There's no guarantee McCormick even stays with the team or has anything to do with Puempel being waived. I think them mistake is thinking that it is Puempel vs McCormick. It is likely that they just decided to bite the bullet and waive Puempel now, and McCormick is just an extra guy up until the team is healthy with Lazar as of now taking Puempel's spot on the roster.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
That may be what Dorion said, but if that were true, why didn't he trade Puempel for another asset instead of losing him on waivers. I think Dorion is just blowing smoke on the radio. I think the real reason NYR picked up Puempel is because Puempel is better than their other options due to Zibanejad's injury.

WRONG. He's not blowing smoke, he's legit telling the truth. Look at all the "potential" that has been placed on waivers lately that teams haven't been able to trade.. guys like Martin Frk (who was waived by Detroit, picked up by Carolina, then waived again, then picked up again by Detroit), Seth Griffith, Teemu Pulkkinen, Anton Lander, Dylan McIllrath, etc.

Teams aren't trading for potential anymore. It's just the way of the winds right now that GMs know that teams only have limited roster spots and this is one way of acquiring players.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Griffith destroyed the AHL and is on his 2nd team this season via waivers. He was drafted a year after Puempel and has double his NHL points in 12 less games.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Haven't really drafted a stellar first round player since 2011, no management firings just internal promotions I love it. Pure ****show.

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
I wouldn't be shocked if NYR waives him in 2-3 weeks and we put in a claim... it's hard to imagine him being effective at NHL level and we'll want him to help Bingo

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Haven't really drafted a stellar first round player since 2011, no management firings just internal promotions I love it. Pure ****show.

And the narrative continues to be our scouting is awesomesauce and we just suck at player development. Puempel was brought along slow. No excuses. This one is on the scouts. Sometimes it feels like we suck at drafting AND player development.

[this is where someone responds with the pct. of players on the roster who were drafted by the Sens is really high compared to other franchises]

[this is where I respond with how that pct. would be much more meaningful if we were a really good team... having lots of your own guys around and being a bubble team isn't some great feat - it's just your own unique way of being mediocre]

;)

But seriously - pretty bummed neither Puempel nor Prince panned out. I guess the upside is Dzingel made this happen. (full disclosure: I was hoping the upside was Puempel would develop into a legit top 6er... so the upside doesn't feel so sunny side up... more of an over easy)

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016

2014 we didn't have a first rounder and we have no way of knowing at this exact moment how Chabot, White, and Brown will turn out in the NHL. Their development so far has been pretty positive. Jury is still out on Ceci and Lazar, but you are correct in that they haven't made an immediate impact and were probably rushed, hurting their development. Too many variables at this point to just make a blanket statement that we've been a mediocre to poor first round drafting team the past five years.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well, good luck to Puempel in NY. Hope he figures out what is holding him back.

On another note, we shouldn't be surprised. This is a wacky year with a condensed schedule and an expansion draft coming. Every time you make a trade, to have to factor in your protected lists and how it effects the organization as a whole.

R2010

May 23, 2011
While people are busy complaining about our drafting in 2011, it is important to recognize that most of the next 10-15 players drafted that year did not turn out to be studs. Between 20 and 50 the only decent forwards were Namestnikov, Rakell, Jenner, Rask and Saad.... Lots of other teams busted in that range as well.

The bigger miss was Zibanejad over Scheifele apparently

HonestSenator

Dec 11, 2013
We rationalize why is no big deal losing him. We wonder why he has no confidence playing 5 mins a game with Neal. He has been known as a goal scorer. I can't ever remember him playing a pp during a time when our pp really sacked. He was waived over sending McCormick in lineup (who doesn't need to clear.).

This year I don't remember Puemple playing on anything but the forth line.

Lazar called up after killing it in NHL - 3 points in 12 games I think. Now he will be the genesis/new sparkplug for our offence.

This team is scoring just over a goal a game. Our top players are not producing.

There is probably nobody happier than Puemple to with the Rangers. Fresh start. Clearly was not one of Boucher's favorite players.

It will be interesting to see what develops. Hope he does really well.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. There was no reason to lose him on waivers despite what Pierre believes.

I don't have much hope for a post season. Not because Puemple left, but because we have issues with our thinking and rationalize our problems away.

Last edited:

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
While people are busy complaining about our drafting in 2011, it is important to recognize that most of the next 10-15 players drafted that year did not turn out to be studs. Between 20 and 50 the only decent forwards were Namestnikov, Rakell, Jenner, Rask and Saad.... Lots of other teams busted in that range as well.

The bigger miss was Zibanejad over Scheifele apparently

I know you said between 20 and 50, but I would still add Kucherov, Trocheck, and Nieto to that list due to close proximity. Hindsight, I know, but a man can dream.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
So surprised to see that people want McCormick to stay up. I see absolutely nothing in him. He's nothing more than a minor-leaguer but management flouts him as one of their best prospects. So depressing.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
So surprised to see that people want McCormick to stay up. I see absolutely nothing in him. He's nothing more than a minor-leaguer but management flouts him as one of their best prospects. So depressing.

He's a 4th liner, knows his role and exceeds in it well. He has hands too. He provides a lot of energy and grit which we need when our stars are not on or having off game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad