Waived: Matt Puempel Nov 20 | Claimed by NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
We are trying to win, so I get why guys like Pyatt and Neil are in our top 12, while guys like Puempel and Prince have been sent elsewhere. But it still stings in terms of seeing talent depart out the door for a lot less than what we used to acquire them. Really poor asset management.

Neither Prine or Puempel will be 1st line players, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Prince turn into a MacArthur type forward, while Puempel ends up as a 20 goal guy for a team like Las Vegas. I'm not sure Puempel is a scoring line winger on a contender, but given the way he plays, I had no problem with him in our bottom 6. He played great Saturday night against the Panthers. Surprised we didn't just keep him in our bottom 6. Lazar is more versatile long-term, but not a better player at this juncture. Let Lazar play in Bingo for a longer period was my preference.

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
We have lots more kids coming. I'm not worried and wish him the best.

and what kids are these...this team has nothing...bad drafting and lousy management...take Erik out of the lineup and there will be no offence

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
That 2011 draft fooled us pretty good,

3 first rounders (Zib, Noes, Pump) and the second rounder (Prince) have been jettisoned, however we hit pretty good in rounds 4+ (Pageau, Dzingle, Claesson, McCormick)

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
and what kids are these...this team has nothing...bad drafting and lousy management...take Erik out of the lineup and there will be no offence

Agreed. Our system is bereft of scorers on the wing.

Ahl is intriguing and Perron may yet prove to be a solid forward, but there really isn't much after that. And neither of these two guys are blue chippers. Gagne also has some upside, but has been a disappointment for over a year now.

It's part of the reason the team wanted to lock up Ryan, Hoffman and Stone I suspect. Dzingel and Lazar also have potential, but we could lose one of those guys in the expansion draft if a team passes on Methot.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That 2011 draft fooled us pretty good,

3 first rounders (Zib, Noes, Pump) and the second rounder (Prince) have been jettisoned, however we hit pretty good in rounds 4+ (Pageau, Dzingle, Claesson, McCormick)

Zib was a fine pick. We traded him for what the team hopes is an upgrade.

Look at the players drafted in 2011 too; only real quality players I see (with a quick glance) are Rakell, Namestnikov, Jenner. You have to get to picks 42 and 43 before a couple hits in Rask and Saad, and then down to 58 for Kucherov. you've got about 10 legit NHL players of note in the 70 picks after Ottawa selected Noesen.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Puempel is the living, breathing embodiment of a replacement level player. The Rangers picked him up because they needed a warm body right now. Once their injury problems are over, they too will waive him and sent him down unless he miraculously lights it up.

It's funny - I thought there was a chance that Hammond got picked up, but no chance that Puempel would. Turned out to be the other way around. Dorion addressed that on the radio today when he said that goal scoring is at such a premium that any guy who has ever shown the ability to score at any level gets picked up on waivers by teams willing to take a chance on them.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Chlapik is doing quite well, as are White, Brown and Chabot. Dahlen? Who knows, but these are the kids.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Meh, see ya, good luck.

Anyone complaining about this seriously is just a massive whiner. Some prospects don't work out, it happens. It's not like he didn't get any chances.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
We are trying to win, so I get why guys like Pyatt and Neil are in our top 12, while guys like Puempel and Prince have been sent elsewhere. But it still stings in terms of seeing talent depart out the door for a lot less than what we used to acquire them. Really poor asset management.

Neither Prine or Puempel will be 1st line players, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Prince turn into a MacArthur type forward, while Puempel ends up as a 20 goal guy for a team like Las Vegas. I'm not sure Puempel is a scoring line winger on a contender, but given the way he plays, I had no problem with him in our bottom 6. He played great Saturday night against the Panthers. Surprised we didn't just keep him in our bottom 6. Lazar is more versatile long-term, but not a better player at this juncture. Let Lazar play in Bingo for a longer period was my preference.

All teams are trying to win and that is why Prince & Puempel are both in NY!

You are 100% right, terrible asset management.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Chlapik is doing quite well, as are White, Brown and Chabot. Dahlen? Who knows, but these are the kids.

Possibly, but the same things were being said about Noesen, Puempel, Prince, Zibanejad, and Silverberg and they are all gone and the team isn't much better if any better at all.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If Kelly and Neil are holding Puempel down, then why do Kelly and Neil create some offense, not much but some, while Puempel has zero offensive impact?

Neil is low and has no offensive talent but I've seen him walk himself into multiple scoring chances. I've seen him crash the net for rebounds. I cannot recall Puempel doing anything with the puck.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
My initial reaction to the claim was

He will score decently in New York. Bad move from Ottawa

But with a bit more thinking, many guys are coming up in the near future, they need to clear up some space. White, Brown, Chlapik, Perron, Paul, Ahl, Dahlen, Gagne might all contend for a spot in the next 2 years

Only thing is I think we could have used Puempel for the remainder of this season.

How else would you evaluate someone's performance if you do not look at the results of that performance? I agree with you that hindsight is the way to do it.

I did not like the Zibanejad plus 2nd round pick trade for Brassard when it happened. I still do not like it. Only time will tell if it works out for the Senators and whether Dorion or I are right! As a Senators fan, I hope I am wrong in my foresight and that hindsight proves Dorion is right. In the long run I think the Rangers will win this trade.

Of course you can evaluate things based on the end result, but you also have to understand the initial value, the context around it (ex : trade request) and also why it didn't work as expected (ex : injuries).

Problem is the "usual suspects" as we like to call them (or the whiners/naysayers/etc) usually omit (and some do it on purpose because of biased agendas) that part when evaluating the work of professionals.

My guess is he breaks out into a 20+ goal scorer because our crappy organization cant develop players worth a damn

Yeah, just like Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, Dzingel, Ceci, Pageau, Smith, etc. And all the guys that got traded.

K. I'm surprised he was claimed. Not really happy he was put on waivers even though he was not doing well.

How can you be unhappy that he was put on waivers if you didn't expect him to get claimed? Sounds like it was going to be a fail right from the start :naughty:

I'll take that bet!

I also didn't know we sucked at developing players.

Haven't you read the news? (this board)

We. suck. at. everything.

It sucks to lose him for nothing.... Poor asset management again.

I'm curious... What are the other cases of poor asset management you are talking about here?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
This is a move that has potential to bite Ottawa in the ass if the Rangers can figure Puempel out, but it probably won't. There's a chance that a lot of this could be wrong place wrong time for Puempel as a goal scorer because he is on a team where right now nobody at all is scoring.

I'm still not sure Puempel got a fair shake in Ottawa, but at the same point, they seem to be taking a hard lined mentality that the NHL isn't a development league. So giving him half a dozen games on Brassard or Turris' wing to see if he can really click regardless of whether he "earned" them wasn't going to happen. Even Ryan Dzingel didn't get sustained top 6 time off the bat. Dzingel was up and down the lineup all throughout the start of the season but excelled almost every where he was made to play. For the most part Puempel didn't look out of place as a 4th liner, but I would not say he excelled.

Especially with another team entering the league, I think Puempel will carve out a career as an NHLer for the next few years. It is more likely that career will be as a depth guy and not a 20 goal scorer. The reality is if Boucher wasn't going to push him up the lineup, and guys like McCormick can play the 4th line role better, while a guy like Lazar comes into his first game of the season and despite being sent to the AHL while also missing extended time with mono completely outshines Puempel, it might be time to move on.

The Rangers are 3rd from the top, so that means only Chicago or Montreal could have claimed Puempel. Although I did not think he would have cleared waivers, from this it seems like there is a good chance had it not been for Zibanejad's injury, I would have been wrong as he might have cleared. For those thinking this is a big mistake for Ottawa, or shouting "asset management", when someone has no value, there's not much you can do to manage that asset. When you consider that 26 teams before the Rangers passed on Puempel for "free", it is fair to imagine that if Dorion shopped Puempel prior to waivers, there would have been no takers.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm curious... What are the other cases of poor asset management you are talking about here?

Asset management is the weirdest meme around here. Every discussion on this forum has to somehow boil down to asset management.

If you look at the situation logically, Puempel was put on waivers before Zbad went down. Rangers are the third last team in the waiver priority with only Chicago and Montreal being behind him. If Puempel for "free" fell all the way to the Rangers, who it could be speculated may have only claimed him as a result of losing Zbad hours AFTER Puempel was waived, what does that say about Puempel's "value"? Odds are, nobody wanted to give up a draft pick for him.

Normal people don't just keep things of no value because they might inexplicably have value one day despite all the evidence pointing to the contrary.

All these people spouting asset management are the Senators poster equivalent of hoarders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad