Prospect Info: Matt kessel

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think there's a very good chance he is going to be a NHL player. Remains to be seen if he can be more than a bottom pairing guy.
I'd be thrilled if he just becomes a legitimate bottom pairing guy. He is massively benefitting from the Thunderbirds going on a run. All of a sudden he's played 30 pro games on top of his NCAA season. I absolutely can't comment on the degree of his sheltering, but the fact that he's staying in the lineup of an AHL team in the Final is a great sign.

We've got his RFA rights for 5 more years and his play since leaving college indicates that he will see an expanded AHL role next season. If he can make the jump to the NHL in 2 years and tops out as a bottom pair guy, that still gives us 3 cost controlled seasons of him playing Bortz's role behind Parayko/Faulk.

That would be a fantastic outcome for a 5th rounder.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Loof and Kessell seem like opposite sides (L/R) of the same coin. If either could be a reliable, defensively-sound third pairing on an ELC, that would be a huge boon for Army and Chief. I don’t know that both could be on the same roster and definitely couldn’t be on the same pairing, because it seems like puck-movement and generating offense will be the biggest question-mark with both.

Blues need some young D to break-out. But the $19.5M-men have three spots locked up already, and Bortz is a solid #6/7. Tucker and Perunovich are vying with those two to unseat Mikkola. If Scandella &/or Leddy return, it’ll be at least another year of minor-league marinating for our young defensemen.

It’s clear Perunovich and Mikkola need to claim a role or make way for others. What happens with the defense over the next 1 to 14 months should be fascinating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian39

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Loof and Kessell seem like opposite sides (L/R) of the same coin. If either could be a reliable, defensively-sound third pairing on an ELC, that would be a huge boon for Army and Chief. I don’t know that both could be on the same roster and definitely couldn’t be on the same pairing, because it seems like puck-movement and generating offense will be the biggest question-mark with both.

Blues need some young D to break-out. But the $19.5M-men have three spots locked up already, and Bortz is a solid #6/7. Tucker and Perunovich are vying with those two to unseat Mikkola. If Scandella &/or Leddy return, it’ll be at least another year of minor-league marinating for our young defensemen.

It’s clear Perunovich and Mikkola need to claim a role or make way for others. What happens with the defense over the next 1 to 14 months should be fascinating.
Loof is at least 2-3 years away, best case, likely more from being legit top option. Kessel probably is at least a year away. Tucker too. And that is if any of them ever make it. It's not realistic to count on any of those 3 next year and probably not following year.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Loof is at least 2-3 years away, best case, likely more from being legit top option. Kessel probably is at least a year away. Tucker too. And that is if any of them ever make it. It's not realistic to count on any of those 3 next year and probably not following year.
Unless any of our D prospects make a massive leap (doubtful), each of them will need multiple seasons more to get ready.

Loof just finished his first full pro season (Finland) and may need one more over there before coming to NA.
Tucker just finished his first full pro season and is on a nice trajectory, so far.
Kessel just joined the big boys, so he will be a while yet.

Galloway is next and will return to juniors for at least one more season. The Blues see him as a two-way defenseman. Skates well, but needs refinement. Has offense, but loses positioning at times. His next step is to develop his tool box.

Last edited:

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
Unless any of our D prospects make a massive leap (doubtful), each of them will need multiple seasons more to get ready.

Loof just finished his first full pro season (Finalnd) and may need one more over there before coming to NA.
Tucker just finished his first full pro season and is on a nice trajectory, so far.
Kessel just joined the big boys, so he will be a while yet.

Galloway is next and will return to juniors for at least one more season.
Well, at the very least, we're building some serious depth.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Posted this on the GDT but maybe belongs here as well:

Really nice debut for Kessel. Made some mistakes (including a comical self inflicted fall in the neutral zone that lead to a chance against) but also made some really smart plays with the puck and looked solid overall. My biggest complaint was that his gaps were way too big (likely result of needing to adjust to the size/speed of the NHL vs AHL and over compensating a bit).

The size, skating, and hockey sense are there with Kessel tho. Needs a ton more reps, but I think it’s clear he can be an NHL player in the future. I like his potential a lot, hopefully he can push for a roster spot as early as next year!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Posted this on the GDT but maybe belongs here as well:

Really nice debut for Kessel. Made some mistakes (including a comical self inflicted fall in the neutral zone that lead to a chance against) but also made some really smart plays with the puck and looked solid overall. My biggest complaint was that his gaps were way too big (likely result of needing to adjust to the size/speed of the NHL vs AHL and over compensating a bit).

The size, skating, and hockey sense are there with Kessel tho. Needs a ton more reps, but I think it’s clear he can be an NHL player in the future. I like his potential a lot, hopefully he can push for a roster spot as early as next year!
I agree. I thought he looked poised an confident enough, and not out-of-place. He didn't look nervous like so many first-gamers do. He'll get better every game, as he adjusts to the faster, quicker-hitting NHL game. I expect him to start out next season still in The AHL, but to be brought up for, at least a long trial, maybe after 25-30 games. I'm encouraged after his performance yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueOil

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
His skating definitely stood out as a strong asset, and he's someone that looks to be involved, so with more games under his belt and more confidence, he's an intriguing piece. He's had an interesting season, a strong start, a poor middle, but he's had 20 points in his past 28 games, with a +2. Part of the issue I think is when we had injuries, Tucker was called up, among others, and the pairs in Springfield got jumbled.

He's going to have pretty good numbers for the season, and hopefully has a great post-season. I definitely think it could've been an even better season if the NHL roster didn't throw some of the pairs out of whack, but it is what it is. I think there's quite a bit of potential in him becoming a pretty solid 2-way NHL dman, and I think with a strong summer of training, he'll have a shot to push for a roster spot next year. Won't be likely that he makes the team out of camp, but he'll be in the territory where if he plays well, they won't feel like they have to send him down.

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And I do think players like Tucker and Kessel will force Army to change up the defense for next season. I do think one of them or maybe even Perunovich need to play a full NHL season, assuming at least one of them prove they are ready in camp. We need to start the NHL development of those guys, and I'd bet that will be the message to them in their individual meetings once their season ends.

I'm not expecting us to run a Tucker-Kessel 3rd pair, but I bet management is going to tell them something along those lines and hope they perform strong enough to make that a viable option. With the more realistic hope that at least one of them has a killer summer and demands a roster spot with their play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
I agree. I thought he looked poised a confident enough, and not out-of-place. He look nervous like so many first-gamers do. He'll get better every game, as he adjusts to the faster, quicker-hitting NHL game. I expect him to start out next season still in The AHL, but to be brought up for, at least a long trial, maybe after 25-30 games. I'm encouraged after his performance yesterday.
Agreed 100%, most likely Kessel starts next season in the A, but is one of the last cuts in camp (and one of the first call ups when injuries hit). He’ll probably split time between the NHL and AHL next year and hopefully be a full time NHLer in 2024-25.

Here’s hoping he can force the team’s hand and push his way onto the roster sooner tho! It wouldn’t shock me if he gets an extended NHL chance due to injuries or trades and never looks back.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I thought he was OK. He didn't stand out, but he also didn't make me think geez, kid looks like a train wreck out there. That's my baseline for the 1st game most players play. The real key is how he's going in that 10th game, 25th game, 50th game, 100th game. Is he getting better, or is he looking lost and overwhelmed?

That's why I generally don't extrapolate anything from someone's 1st game, good or bad. I'm not penciling him into next year's lineup, and unless someone's got a really good reason why a guy taken later in the 5th round should project to be more than anything you typically expect from someone taken 150th overall I'm not upping my projection of his ceiling no matter how spectacular he may look in the next game or any remaining game.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
That's why I generally don't extrapolate anything from someone's 1st game, good or bad. I'm not penciling him into next year's lineup, and unless someone's got a really good reason why a guy taken later in the 5th round should project to be more than anything you typically expect from someone taken 150th overall I'm not upping my projection of his ceiling no matter how spectacular he may look in the next game or any remaining game.
I mean, he's played a lot of very good hockey since the Blues drafted him. I get not wanting to extrapolate too much from a single game, but there is ample reason for cautious optimism when it comes to Kessel outperforming his draft position. In fact, I think it's fair to say he already has. It would be just as foolish to overhype Kessel's potential as it would be to ignore his accomplishments.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I mean, he's played a lot of very good hockey since the Blues drafted him. I get not wanting to extrapolate too much from a single game, but there is ample reason for cautious optimism when it comes to Kessel outperforming his draft position. In fact, I think it's fair to say he already has. It would be just as foolish to overhype Kessel's potential as it would be to ignore his accomplishments.
Yeah, he had a strong college career and a pretty good start to his pro career in the minors. Sure, there's still a chance that he never quite makes it, but he's definitely out-performed what most players do that are drafted in the 5-7 rounds. Same with Tucker, where I think it's reasonable to be cautiously optimistic that they can at least be what Mikkola was here, and hopefully their traits result in a better fit.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Looks like he will play again tonight. Marco out for season and Borts not ready to go. Win or lose, what do we gain by playing Borts last 5 games? I'd like to see Kessel get remaining games to both give him chance to see how he stacks up and what he needs to work on and for team to get better sense of where he is at. First game he was cautious and also playing on adrenaline. Next couple games we all learn more.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
What happened to Scandella? I haven't been able to watch a Blues game in like a week thanks to network blackout roulette.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
He’s a home run for a 5th round pick. It looks like his floor looks to be a solid 3rd pairing D, and I won’t be shocked if he winds up a top 4.

He’s averaging 17 minutes a night and looks very comfortable (most of the time). He’s only played 18 games so far, including 2 last year. The guy just continues to impress me.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
He’s a home run for a 5th round pick. It looks like his floor looks to be a solid 3rd pairing D, and I won’t be shocked if he winds up a top 4.

He’s averaging 17 minutes a night and looks very comfortable (most of the time). He’s only played 18 games so far, including 2 last year. The guy just continues to impress me.
Looks better with Krug than Faulk does. Lost a guy last game and it cost them, but he’s a rookie. Impressed so far.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I really like what he has provided so far. Keeps it simple, but has the ability to stretch pass. Good positioning. I think it is great he is pair with Krug. Krug can push the O a little and he can make simple D plays.

Honestly, Krug is having a very solid season so far.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Kessel has started to play a little more physical and be a bit more active in the ozone the past couple games. He has a good shot but hasn’t been able to get it off much in the NHL so far. If he can develop that side of his game then I like his odds to be more than a solid #5 dman…still a lot of work to do tho

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
With our complete lack of young defenseman, Kessel is a really important player if we want to be a playoff team again in the next few seasons. The tools are there, and if he's going to take a leap it would make a lot of sense for it to happen in his sophomore season considering he was an older rookie. I'd hope his development will be a big priority this offseason. I'd like to see him come back more confident using the middle of the ice in both the defensive and offensive zones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad