Prospect Info: Matt kessel

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Kessel is 21 years old and had a spectacular year. He is 6'3" and is 21 years will be a junior this coming year.

Do you think he will make the jump to springfield this year or will he return for his junior year.
Imo I saw him play and would like to get him in ahl and possibly some nhl time if he shows he can handle it.

Last edited:

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I honestly think if he did go to Springfield and he showed what he had in the frozen four with little more physicality he could push for call up this year

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranksu

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I have never been a fan of rushing a prospects development, and Kessel is no exception. We have Parayko and Faulk locked in for next season, both of whom will eat most of the minutes on RD. Bortuzzo, Santini, and maybe a cheap UFA body can platoon the remaining minutes on the 3rd pairing. So there is not a dire organizational need to hurry Kessel into the lineup. I also am concerned about how much playing time Kessel would get in Springfield. I would rather have him get tons of ice time at UMass and continue to take advantage of the training facilities available there than play limited minutes on the 3rd pairing at Springfield. UMass has a great program, I think he should continue to use it.

Last edited:

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Kessel is 21 years old and had a spectacular year. He is 6'3" and is 21 years will be a junior this coming year.

Do you think he will make the jump to springfield this year or will he return for his junior year.
Imo I saw him play and would like to get him in ahl and possibly some nhl time if he shows he can handle it.

He should stay with UMass. He has improved a lot during last season but he's not there yet, he would really benefit from one more season at UMass where he's probably going to be their no1 defenseman. Wonder how he will fare without his regular partner Zac Jones who signed a contract with the Rangers at the end of last season. If Kessel improves like he did last season we could sign him at the end of UMass' next season. Don't think he should stay longer then 1 more season at UMass as they're (going to be) quite stacked with right handed talent on defense (Scott Morrow, Owen Murray, Ryan Ufko).

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I only got to see a couple UMass games this season, so take the following with a grain of salt. I thought Kessel looked good overall, but best in the offensive end. He has a very good shot and moves the puck well, particularly on the PP. There were a couple defensive lapses I saw in the d-zone...nothing egregious, but I think Kessel needs to work on his defensive awareness to be more than a bottom pairing NHL dman who can move the puck and chip in offensively.

The good news is that he has the physical gifts, his skating seemed pretty good, and he is in a great college program where he can still develop and round out his game. He didn't dominate in a way that would suggest he has outgrown the NCAA, which is to say that staying another year would probably be best for his development IMO. I would like to see him in a bigger all around role and take on some tougher defensive assignments for UMass next season. In the games I watched it wasn't like Jones was carrying Kessel by any means, but it will be interesting to see how losing Zac Jones effects the team and Kessel in particular.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I'll echo what others have said, no need to rush his development. He'll benefit more from playing another at UMass than he would in the the AHL. Especially with the amount of defenseman the Blues have ahead of him right now

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
I'm a Bruins guy, so I certainly don't want to see you have any success ;), but I'm also a UMass guy ('90) and have seen about 75% of their games the last three seasons. Kessel is a terrific college player and legitimate NHL prospect (maybe not top-pairing, but a solid contributor), but he's not ready for the NHL and it would be foolish to spend the money on him in the AHL when UMass is doing it for you for free. It's altogether possible he exceeds the NCAA competition level during the 2021-22 season, but he's not there yet. Selfishly, I also don't want to lose another key player from the UMass roster (Fille Lindberg, Zac Jones, Marc Del Gaizo, Jake Gaudet, Carson Gicewicz, Philip Lagunov, Oliver Chau and AC Ben Barr all gone).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm a Bruins guy, so I certainly don't want to see you have any success ;), but I'm also a UMass guy ('90) and have seen about 75% of their games the last three seasons. Kessel is a terrific college player and legitimate NHL prospect (maybe not top-pairing, but a solid contributor), but he's not ready for the NHL and it would be foolish to spend the money on him in the AHL when UMass is doing it for you for free. It's altogether possible he exceeds the NCAA competition level during the 2021-22 season, but he's not there yet. Selfishly, I also don't want to lose another key player from the UMass roster (Fille Lindberg, Zac Jones, Marc Del Gaizo, Jake Gaudet, Carson Gicewicz, Philip Lagunov, Oliver Chau and AC Ben Barr all gone).
Any comps you have for him, either stylistically or what you think he could become?

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Any comps you have for him, either stylistically or what you think he could become?
This is as solid a basic scouting report as you're going to find.

I only got to see a couple UMass games this season, so take the following with a grain of salt. I thought Kessel looked good overall, but best in the offensive end. He has a very good shot and moves the puck well, particularly on the PP. There were a couple defensive lapses I saw in the d-zone...nothing egregious, but I think Kessel needs to work on his defensive awareness to be more than a bottom pairing NHL dman who can move the puck and chip in offensively.

The good news is that he has the physical gifts, his skating seemed pretty good, and he is in a great college program where he can still develop and round out his game. He didn't dominate in a way that would suggest he has outgrown the NCAA, which is to say that staying another year would probably be best for his development IMO. I would like to see him in a bigger all around role and take on some tougher defensive assignments for UMass next season. In the games I watched it wasn't like Jones was carrying Kessel by any means, but it will be interesting to see how losing Zac Jones effects the team and Kessel in particular.

Some questions to look at going into the season:
* Playing without Jones is going to be a real litmus test for him. How sheltered was he, and can he step into an expanded role?
* Will he be needed to concentrate more defensively this year, lessening his offensive role?
* Do Umass's needs for his development mesh with your organizational development goals (my guess is yes, or you'd have pressured him to leave already)?
* He's tall, but not big. What's his outlook? Does he bulk up to play a more physical style? Does he develop more of a finesse defensive style (Brandon Carlo?)? Does he become an offensive force and defensive liability (Torey Krug?)? At 6'3", but only 203 lbs., can he hack the NHL's physicality?
* How long do you have to allow him to grow? Is it a positional strength with multi-year contracts for many, or is there going to be a need for him sooner? I think he's someone who might need a few AHL seasons, but will continue to grow and improve.
* I see him in five years as a solid, if unspectacular, second-pairing defender with enough offensive upside to see some second unit PP time, but not likely someone you'll use a lot on the PK.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
I'll be seeing him in person on October 2, and likely a bunch more after that. Happy to share/answer anything as best I can!
Would love to hear your thoughts on Kessel as the season progresses! I try to catch UMass games when they're nationally televised to see how Kessel is playing, but it's pretty rare I get to sit down and really watch a full one.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
UMass opening night is Saturday. I'd be going, but my son's 8U game the next morning means I can't make the drive, so I won't be able to give any observations on Kessel.

Two ways to watch:
Watch MIH: Minnesota State at UMass (10/02/21) - Live Broadcast - Stream Men's Ice Hockey Online - Oct. 2 7:00 P.M. ET - SportsLive

Sports News

Also,
Massachusetts 2021-22 Team Schedule - Hockey East Association
All the games are streamable

And,
Hockey East Announces Historic NESN Schedule for 2021-22 Season - Hockey East Association
if you're able to get NESN where you live

Any Michiganders here? The boy and I are making the trip out to Ann Arbor in January to see them play the Wolverines, who are absolutely loaded. How he defends against their forward group should be a good gauge of Kessel's growth.

Reactions: stl76

greybush314

Dec 23, 2020
I think Kessel may be a bit underrated. Zac Jones is being considered for a top 4 spot for NYR. He played with Kessel last year and everything I've read says Kessel played just as well, if not better than Jones. Very interested to see how Kessel looks this year.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I think Kessel may be a bit underrated. Zac Jones is being considered for a top 4 spot for NYR. He played with Kessel last year and everything I've read says Kessel played just as well, if not better than Jones. Very interested to see how Kessel looks this year.
I’d be surprised but not shocked if Jones plays top 4 with Fox, Miller, Trouba, Lindgren, I could see him with trouba on a 2nd pair though. Just worried about his coach at UMASS comments about him not being fully physically ready yet

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
T-Birds radio announcer very positive on Kessel.

One year in the AHL and he could be ready.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Anyone watching him in the A? Opinions on his game
Posted this in the Thunderbird thread, but may be more appropriate here:

Only in highlight clips, haven't been able to watch any full games unfortunately. FWIW his stats look good so far, but I think he is basically playing 3rd pair minutes on a pretty stacked Thunderbirds roster that is looking to go on a long playoff run. He's shown up in a couple highlights making some smart pinches/offensive plays, and it appears from some clips that he is working his way onto the 2nd unit PP and getting at least some PK time as well - which is definitely an encouraging sign!

He had a beauty of an open ice hit here at ~0:50 (number 3 in red):

He makes a nice pinch here at about 4:15 that leads to a good scoring chance:

I think there's a very good chance he is going to be a NHL player. Remains to be seen if he can be more than a bottom pairing guy.

Reactions: Brian39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad