Matt Hendricks signs 1yr contract with Jets.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
That's what Holden is saying. We are simply ignoring our depth of better players and going with a lesser lineup. Of our choosing.

If Maurice pushed for a guy like Hendricks and Chevy agreed, they are both holding this team back.

I know what he was saying. I was saying something different. I was just pointing out that the team has plenty of depth (more than they've ever had before) and there's no need to jump off the cliff.

That said I don't believe this was a necessary move. But ask me again if we get the severe injury bug again.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
This is as bad as the strait signing, which is to say.... totally meaningless.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I know what he was saying. I was saying something different. I was just pointing out that the team has plenty of depth (more than they've ever had before) and there's no need to jump off the cliff.

That said I don't believe this was a necessary move. But ask me again if we get the severe injury bug again.

For me, Hendricks, Tanev and Sgarbossa are depth players better off with the Moose ready to step in when needed. However they will likely be in the lineup while better, young waiver exempt players like Petan, Roslovic and Connor play in AHL.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
For me, Hendricks, Tanev and Sgarbossa are depth players better off with the Moose ready to step in when needed. However they will likely be in the lineup while better, young waiver exempt players like Petan, Roslovic and Connor play in AHL.

Except the Jets have never had a problem inserting kids into the lineup even before many organizations would have believed them to be ready. If Hendricks, Tanev and Sgarbossa are too big of a bar to jump you should be in the minors, especially for an organization that has been pushing their kids into the NHL with every opportunity. I have no problem having a few vets around, as we are a pretty young team.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
This seems as bad as the Strait thread from last year lol. In the end Strait played 5 games when injuries decimated the D and was .4 points per game.

This is as bad as the strait signing, which is to say.... totally meaningless.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Except the Jets have never had a problem inserting kids into the lineup even before many organizations would have believed them to be ready. If Hendricks, Tanev and Sgarbossa are too big of a bar to jump you should be in the minors, especially for an organization that has been pushing their kids into the NHL with every opportunity. I have no problem having a few vets around, as we are a pretty young team.

Agree with this.

It would be highly unusual not to have a player of this ilk. I don't like it, but understand it. My concern is Maurice's deployment, as always.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

This...does not describe the Jets to me. Guys like Thorburn, Stuart, Chiarot, Slater, Peluso blocked youngs guys getting a chance, IMO.

I am all for the competition, IF it's a fair competition and you could trust the Jets to judge it. However they have shown year after year after year that they do not know how to value players in bottom 6.

The hope here is of course he goes down to AHL to be captain of the Moose. He'd be a real solid signing if that happens. We'll see but I don't think it's likely.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This...does not describe the Jets to me. Guys like Thorburn, Stuart, Chiarot, Slater, Peluso blocked youngs guys getting a chance, IMO.

I am all for the competition, IF it's a fair competition and you could trust the Jets to judge it. However they have shown year after year after year that they do not know how to value players in bottom 6.

The hope here is of course he goes down to AHL to be captain of the Moose. He'd be a real solid signing if that happens. We'll see but I don't think it's likely.

Which young guys got blocked from moving up? We were far from the Red Wings "over ripen" model.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
For me,Hendricks, Tanev and Sgarbossa are depth players better off with the Moose ready to step in when needed. However they will likely be in the lineup while better, young waiver exempt players like Petan, Roslovic and Connor play in AHL.

1) you have no way of knowing this yet.

2) If those players are not getting sufficient minutes then maybe it's better to have them in the AHL.

3) If they are clearly better and show it in training camp they will be
on the roster out of training camp. Petan Ehlers Connor all broke camp with the Jets in the past. Their fate is not so set in concrete like you make it out to be.

3) If they do start in the AHL why is it the end of the world? It'll be nice to call up some dynamic players when we get injuries no?

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Reserve my judgement till the season starts. If he's in the Moose all year who really cares? He takes some youngings spots... well, heads should roll.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
See the roster I half-suspect the Jets will end up running. That roster has zero depth. Like I said it wouldn't surprise me if they started the year like that. Now a roster like...

Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Petan - Dano
Copp - Lowry - Armia
Matthias

Now that's real depth.

I'd hate to see that 3rd line playing in its own end. Switch Armia and Dano and I feel a lot better.
I agree strongly with your basic premise, though. We've drafted a lot of kids who could probably walk into the bottom 6 and outperform some of what we're rocking now.
It's nice to know that there are kids like Roslovic, Lemieux, Harkins and Spacek waiting down the hall for a call-up, though.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
1) you have no way of knowing this yet.

2) If those players are not getting sufficient minutes then maybe it's better to have them in the AHL.

3) If they are clearly better and show it in training camp they will be
on the roster out of training camp.
Petan Ehlers Connor all broke camp with the Jets in the past. Their fate is not so set in concrete like you make it out to be.

3) If they do start in the AHL why is it the end of the world? It'll be nice to call up some dynamic players when we get injuries no?

All due respect, you have no way of knowing this yet either. Your guess, if I understand, is the better player is in the lineup. You can point to young players making the team. I can point to useless 'glue' veterans making it ahead of better players.

They will likely all play games in NHL this year. I suggest the young waiver exempt players will be first to go down to the A. Regardless of who has a better camp. We'll see what happens.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'd hate to see that 3rd line playing in its own end. Switch Armia and Dano and I feel a lot better.
I agree strongly with your basic premise, though. We've drafted a lot of kids who could probably walk into the bottom 6 and outperform some of what we're rocking now.
It's nice to know that there are kids like Roslovic, Lemieux, Harkins and Spacek waiting down the hall for a call-up, though.

Disagree. Dano needs to have a chance to play with offensive players, he has shown considerably more offense than Armia. Point is that 3rd line would control the puck and not spend much time in the defensive zone. Overall they'd have a very positive effect on the game. With that lineup you'd have 3 lines that can score with a 4th line that is really good defensively that can also chip in offensively.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Dreger said the jets were looking for a centre on july 1st. They have said that they view copp as a winger and not a centre. So no surprise. As long as hendricks kills penalties he can be of some use. Mattias Hendricks and copp can be a usefull line as all 3 can kill penalties too. Dano and petan were healthy scratches for a reason and were not going to play on 3rd line and really are not suited to play on a 4th line. If they decide to go with hendricks at centre dano will still see alot of time when injuries hit.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
If petan cant beat out hendricks he doesnt deserve to make the team. I get it.. Petan is some sort of God on here but in reality he hasnt been that good even when he did get opportunities. Hes massively over rated and isnt ready for actual minutes in the NHL... Hes better off with the Moose for 1 more season.

Maybe just maybe the guys who see petan everyday... Maybe they know more than ppl on this site. Yeah he put up numbers in JR but thats a long time ago now... Hes done nothing as a pro yet.. Wasnt even that great with the Moose.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Dreger said the jets were looking for a centre on july 1st. They have said that they view copp as a winger and not a centre. So no surprise. As long as hendricks kills penalties he can be of some use. Mattias Hendricks and copp can be a usefull line as all 3 can kill penalties too. Dano and petan were healthy scratches for a reason and were not going to play on 3rd line and really are not suited to play on a 4th line. If they decide to go with hendricks at centre dano will still see alot of time when injuries hit.

Hendriks is a really bad PKer. He hurts all PKs he has been on.

That means Lowry and Armia are in the top 9. I don't want players that have basically no offense in top 9. Would rather have guys that can score goals. Dano has shown to be far superior to Armia and Lowry offensively. Petan has promise, he should have been in competition with Perreault and Roslovic for that wide open 3rd line C role.

It seems clear the Jets are stuck in the past. Modern teams use 3 scoring lines + a twoway line. Jets are stuck in 2 scoring lines, a defensive line, an "energy" line that barely plays.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

That means Lowry and Armia are in the top 9. I don't want players that have basically no offense in top 9. Would rather have guys that can score goals. Dano has shown to be far superior to Armia and Lowry offensively. Petan has promise, he should have been in competition with Perreault and Roslovic for that wide open 3rd line C role.

It seems clear the Jets are stuck in the past. Modern teams use 3 scoring lines + a twoway line. Jets are stuck in 2 scoring lines, a defensive line, an "energy" line that barely plays.

Its time to stop pumping petans tires until he actually does something.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Who do you suppose owns that mind set ?
Chevy
Maurice
Or a collective mind set

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad