Matt Greene

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
I don't know if any of you have made a thread on this but I wanted to discuss Matt Greene. With his contract coming up at the end of this season, is it officially time to move on? I think we're loaded on D, Martinez has played much better than him (we've all lobbied for Martinez to stay in the lineup). I was reading a few quotes on Twitter from Frozen Royalty and realized that we may not have room for Greene next season. It might be weird because he is an assistant captain but I personally think it's time to move on.

@FrozenRoyalty: #LAKings D Matt Greene stressed that the team is winning with him out of the lineup, so “…it’s all good.†#teamguy

@FrozenRoyalty: #LAKings D Matt Greene: “You always want to play, but we’re winning games right now, & we’re having success. That’s all you can ask for.â€

@FrozenRoyalty: #LAKings D Matt Greene: “If you’re not playing, you’re obviously not doing something right. I’ve got to get my game back, and going.â€

I know his leadership is valuable and we need someone like this but I just want to know what you guys think on the situation and whether or not we should bring him back over someone like Willie Mitchell, for example.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
We won't know what we lose with him until he's gone. If he is willing to re-sign for what we want to pay him, we gotta bring him back. We will get outbid.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't know if any of you have made a thread on this but I wanted to discuss Matt Greene. With his contract coming up at the end of this season, is it officially time to move on? I think we're loaded on D, Martinez has played much better than him (we've all lobbied for Martinez to stay in the lineup). I was reading a few quotes on Twitter from Frozen Royalty and realized that we may not have room for Greene next season. It might be weird because he is an assistant captain but I personally think it's time to move on.

I know his leadership is valuable and we need someone like this but I just want to know what you guys think on the situation and whether or not we should bring him back over someone like Willie Mitchell, for example.

Greene is a valuable player and lots of teams need a guy just like him. However, I think it will be a numbers game in terms of money and unless he wants to take a pay cut he'll probably move on--you know someone will throw 4-5 million at him.

I know folks think Mitchell is on the downside of his career but I feel safer with Mitchell and even Regehr in our top 4 than I would with Greene right now.

I think, though, he's at his low point and it's tough to evaluate where he's at now that he's coming off injuries, but his attitude is SO right for it. The problem is, when he's fully healthy, who does he bump out?

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I doubt we let him walk. Mitchell is a left defenseman and can be replaced by Muzzin and Martinez, but we have no one to step in for Greene or replace what he does. Both he and Regehr are exactly the kind of defensemen Lombardi loves and wants. Big, strong, and tough to play against. I'd be floored if we let him walk without aggressive negotiations. I think we are going to be shedding Fraser, Lewis, and Mitchell for sure though.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Sign and trade him.
That's harsh.

I think we should trade him @ the trade deadline if the Kings can get something decent. I would not give him a penny more than he's already having now. That's almost $3M. I doubt he will take a paycut.

I liked him but I think he has not been very good the last 38 games. Now he has become injury prone too.

KingKopitar11*

That's harsh.

I think we should trade him @ the trade deadline if the Kings can get something decent. I would not give him a penny more than he's already having now. That's almost $3M. I doubt he will take a paycut.

I liked him but I think he has not been very good the last 38 games. Now he has become injury prone too.

Yup his injuries are taking a toll on him apparently and the last thing the Kings need in defense is a Willie Mitchell injury saga.

You sign him to what he's worth and you raise his value, since he has pretty good value you might get a good forward to help our offense. It's a bit harsh but that's reality.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Trade him for a winger.
He has been great to the franchise, but at this point he is being out preformed constantly.
I am grateful to the player he was, but he is no longer that guy.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think he'll be part of the package to acquire a LW before the deadline.

When Erkisson comes back to Boston I wonder if we could put together a package for Marchand. guessin there is al ot hate towards him after last night, but I would take him. A line of him, Richards and Brown would piss off everyone.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Hope we re-sign him. He is essentially Regehr, but younger. So i'd rather get rid of the older guy. Plus with Mitchell also getting old, not sure we can afford to lose him

KingKopitar11*

Hope we re-sign him. He is essentially Regehr, but younger. So i'd rather get rid of the older guy. Plus with Mitchell also getting old, not sure we can afford to lose him

That's true, but we have to get rid of one of the vets, all three of them on the line up just doesn't work well with the Kings. Three vets with bad passing abilities hurts the kings.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

You'd have to change your avatar!

But agreed.

When Erkisson comes back to Boston I wonder if we could put together a package for Marchand. guessin there is al ot hate towards him after last night, but I would take him. A line of him, Richards and Brown would piss off everyone.

Holy crap.

Sorry in advance to Live in the Now and the admin/global moderator team :laugh:

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
He's a bottom pair guy, 13-15 minutes a night. Decent on the pk and tough to play against. But the guy have been hurt the last couple seasons. I can see a 2yr 6mil contract being offered, mostly because there just isn't a Greene clone in Manchester. Not sure Bodnarchuk is able, would have liked to see him in a game just to see. But, he's a different style player. Greene is one to watch as this season goes. The more time he sits, he may want a change.

DeeMeck

Jan 19, 2008
He's a bottom pair guy, 13-15 minutes a night. Decent on the pk and tough to play against. But the guy have been hurt the last couple seasons. I can see a 2yr 6mil contract being offered, mostly because there just isn't a Greene clone in Manchester. Not sure Bodnarchuk is able, would have liked to see him in a game just to see. But, he's a different style player. Greene is one to watch as this season goes. The more time he sits, he may want a change.

Forbort and Campbell.

reset

Puck Luck
Oct 5, 2005
South Bay
trade him, get assets and keep martinez in full-time. Marty, imo, is a better player. Plus, the kings WIN when hes in the lineup

with greene, regehr and mitchell... that is an awfully slow defense corps that teams like chicago, colorado, etc exploit to no end

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Forbort and Campbell.

Lolololololololololol. 0/10. Just all sorts of nope.

Unless the Kings get a TRUE shutdown guy who can push Regehr in to the slow, but very strong, defenseman, no. Keep Greene. His interviews are too good.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
Forbort's not ready and Campbell is a #7 at best. So no, LA doesn't have a replacement that can step in right away. Except maybe Bodnarchuk, but that's a maybe.

Even when he's ready Forbort doesn't have the physical aggressiveness of a Matt Greene even though he has a massive physical frame. He's more of a positional, pin opponents to the wall, and use a stick check kind of defender with an even keel like Rob Scuderi.

You're more likely to see a Matt Greene style physicality from a guy like Gravel, but he's at least two years away from being ready for the NHL.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
I doubt we let him walk. Mitchell is a left defenseman and can be replaced by Muzzin and Martinez, but we have no one to step in for Greene or replace what he does. Both he and Regehr are exactly the kind of defensemen Lombardi loves and wants. Big, strong, and tough to play against. I'd be floored if we let him walk without aggressive negotiations. I think we are going to be shedding Fraser, Lewis, and Mitchell for sure though.

Forbort?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad