Injury Report: Matt Greene to undergo shoulder surgery- out indefintely

• Thread starter Captain Mittens*
  • Start date

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Greene is likely done for months. Will be 33 years of age in May. His skating has never been a strength of his.

It's not going to get better at his age.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Greene is likely done for months. Will be 33 years of age in May. His skating has never been a strength of his.

It's not going to get better at his age.

I would have to disagree with the bolded. If Greene really worked hard in the offseason to improve his skating, he CAN and WILL improve his skating. I just don't think that's something he really cares about unfortunately.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I would have to disagree with the bolded. If Greene really worked hard in the offseason to improve his skating, he CAN and WILL improve his skating. I just don't think that's something he really cares about unfortunately.

Yeah, man. But if he could magically fix his skating, it would have already happened.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Yeah, man. But if he could magically fix his skating, it would have already happened.

Seriously.

Greene has been in the league now for 11 seasons, and 589 NHL games, along with 79 in the playoffs.

It would have happened already, like years ago.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I don't think it's as difficult as you make it. It's just time and effort. It's just shedding some lbs, and getting a skating coach, and conditioning coach in the off season.

That would make him a different player though. He is a large tough man, just like Chara. Appreciate the assets.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
That would make him a different player though. He is a large tough man, just like Chara. Appreciate the assets.

Not really. Just because he'd be 10-15 lbs lighter, and faster on his skates doesn't necessarily mean he can't still play his SAH style defense. He doesn't have to lose any strength, just because he's shedding lbs. He'd just be faster on his feet, thus being more mobile. Greene would be the size of Scud or Mitchell, more or less.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think it's as difficult as you make it. It's just time and effort. It's just shedding some lbs, and getting a skating coach, and conditioning coach in the off season.

...the Kings have had 3 month offseasons for the last few years. Do you skate? How much improvement is the most you have made in 3 months, realizing the margin of improvement for the average skater is much higher than for those at the top end?

I know what you're saying--get faster, lighter, get edge practice like Brian Boyle did, etc.--and every little bit counts, but even if he committed to working on solely skating every summer (keep in mind how much he's been hurt, recovering), he'd never be mistaken for Martinez et. al.

Actually, tbh, his flat-out speed isn't a huge problem, it's more his agility, which is MORE fixable...but he's still only got a few years left in the league and making improvements at his age is harder than it sounds. Especially to a mechanical motion like skating, where he's got 30ish years of routine to deprogram.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
...the Kings have had 3 month offseasons for the last few years. Do you skate? How much improvement is the most you have made in 3 months, realizing the margin of improvement for the average skater is much higher than for those at the top end?

I know what you're saying--get faster, lighter, get edge practice like Brian Boyle did, etc.--and every little bit counts, but even if he committed to working on solely skating every summer (keep in mind how much he's been hurt, recovering), he'd never be mistaken for Martinez et. al.

Actually, tbh, his flat-out speed isn't a huge problem, it's more his agility, which is MORE fixable...but he's still only got a few years left in the league and making improvements at his age is harder than it sounds. Especially to a mechanical motion like skating, where he's got 30ish years of routine to deprogram.

Yeah, I'm not saying Greene will be skating like Martinez, but if he could skate like let's say, Scuds, back when he was a king, I think that would be an improvement.

You mention how there are only 3 months in the off season, but Greene could actually try and improve his skating during regular season as well, but of course, that's when he's back healthy.

And I really don't put as much emphasis on age like many of you guys. I put more emphasis on a players' heart, desire, more than I do their age. It's not easy staying in shape as we all get older, but you have to have that fighting spirit in you.

This video always inspires me, and brings me to tears:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, I'm not saying Greene will be skating like Martinez, but if he could skate like let's say, Scuds, back when he was a king, I think that would be an improvement.

You mention how there are only 3 months in the off season, but Greene could actually try and improve his skating during regular season as well, but of course, that's when he's back healthy.

And I really don't put as much emphasis on age like many of you guys. I put more emphasis on a players' heart, desire, more than I do their age. It's not easy staying in shape as we all get older, but you have to have that fighting spirit in you.

I'm definitely not saying you can't teach and old dog new tricks, and Greene is a leader and a gym rat, i'd never doubt his desire--which leads me to believe he's doing something already. But these are NHLers, look at the margin between the elite speed and the average, it's miniscule. Now, maybe he drops EVERYTHING else and works on ONLY skating all summer for the next few years...I'm just not as sure as you that he makes significant improvement, but he may prolong his career, I agree on that. The hitting-with-the-upper-body thing is fun in general and really useful in front of the net, especially on the PK, but that's about it...

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013

Thanks for sharing that video. Gotta show that to family members.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Not really. Just because he'd be 10-15 lbs lighter, and faster on his skates doesn't necessarily mean he can't still play his SAH style defense. He doesn't have to lose any strength, just because he's shedding lbs. He'd just be faster on his feet, thus being more mobile. Greene would be the size of Scud or Mitchell, more or less.

10 to 15 means less muscle mass. It means, less strength to clear out the front of the net.

Great vid by the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4