Injury Report: Matt Greene to undergo shoulder surgery- out indefintely

• Thread starter Captain Mittens*
  • Start date

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Everyone wanted Mitchell to stay, no indication that he absolutely would have, Greene or not. And look at the age disparity. One was a vet we'd be keeping around for a while (and keep in mind all the leadership off the books at the time), one was due for retirement at the end of his contract. I know lots of people have a distaste for Greene here, but it was a very rational decision, and his contract is not nearly as awful as folks want to make it seem, it's immensely movable if need be too.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
They're both pretty much the same as in they're one dimensional players. Ehrhoff is a soft offensive minded defenseman with no clue what to do in the defensive zone, while Greene can clear the net in the defensive zone, but when it comes to the offensive zone and skating backwards to engage an attacking forward, he is useless. Both suck too much to be on a contending team.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Nothing.:naughty:

I would think it gives us around 5M at the deadline. Sadly none of the tools I have found give you a deadline space since capgeek left.

Nothing is correct. He still counts against the cap. The team is just allowed to go over the cap by his cap hit while he is injured. No cap space is saved or accrued

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Nothing is correct. He still counts against the cap. The team is just allowed to go over the cap by his cap hit while he is injured. No cap space is saved or accrued

The question I've always asked, and don't recall getting a clear answer to, is is there a good reason to NOT put him on LTIR other than we don't NEED to?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The question I've always asked, and don't recall getting a clear answer to, is is there a good reason to NOT put him on LTIR other than we don't NEED to?

I am also not sure why the Kings haven't moved him to LTIR.

I guess they don't need to ?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

There is no advantage or disadvantage to moving him to LTIR. In both scenarios the Kings would not be gaining any cap advantage. So basically it doesn't really matter. Why they haven't I got no real ideas. Seems like when I guy is out that most teams put on LTIR no matter what though, but really doesn't make a difference as far as I can tell.

scryan

May 1, 2013
There is no advantage or disadvantage to moving him to LTIR. In both scenarios the Kings would not be gaining any cap advantage. So basically it doesn't really matter. Why they haven't I got no real ideas. Seems like when I guy is out that most teams put on LTIR no matter what though, but really doesn't make a difference as far as I can tell.

But this is all semantics.
Moving him to LTIR "offers no cap relief" other then the fact that it allows us to go over the cap by his salary.
In practical terms... That = relief.
It gives us a higher total amount we can spend on players as long as he is on LTIR, that is real...
As far as negative... I have never heard of any? Obviously the 23 games and... X number of days before he can come back, but with retroactive LTIR, I don't see that becoming an issue.

I think it comes down to, we can file retro-actively... so we wont until we need to... Cause, you wanna do the paper work? :laugh:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

I thought that both IR and LTIR count against the cap, but only on LTIR can you exceed the upper limit. The only thing I can think of is perhaps it has something to do with the amount of cap space they can bank? I don't think King is on LTIR either, but I could be mistaken.

The Kings are enough below the cap (1.5M) to bring up a Mersch or Schultz if they need to without hitting the cap. Is there an actual difference though because of the upper limit extension? For example, if lets say, Mersch gets called up. If Greene/King were on LTIR, does Mersch's salary count towards the upper limit extension, meaning the Kings can no longer bank cap for later?

They have no need to bring someone up now, but maybe it has something to do with what would occur if they had to if the Kings lost a couple more guys to short-term injuries? Does anyone have Solomon's phone number? :)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
But this is all semantics.
Moving him to LTIR "offers no cap relief" other then the fact that it allows us to go over the cap by his salary.
In practical terms... That = relief.
It gives us a higher total amount we can spend on players as long as he is on LTIR, that is real...
As far as negative... I have never heard of any? Obviously the 23 games and... X number of days before he can come back, but with retroactive LTIR, I don't see that becoming an issue.

I think it comes down to, we can file retro-actively... so we wont until we need to... Cause, you wanna do the paper work? :laugh:

Yes but the Kings aren't at the cap. Putting a player on LTIR now really doesn't do anything. Even if a Mersch or Schultz were called up the Kings would not bank anymore cap space on IR or LTIR right now since they have the cap room.

EDIT: See below I think it might be that LTIR only grants upper limit exceptions when the replacement player puts you over the cap. So it's not a constant thing while on LTIR, ie if placed on LTIR right now it would not allow Kings to exceed cap by that amount since replacement players don't set them over cap.

And yes you can file LTIR retroactively.

I thought that both IR and LTIR count against the cap, but only on LTIR can you exceed the upper limit. The only thing I can think of is perhaps it has something to do with the amount of cap space they can bank? I don't think King is on LTIR either, but I could be mistaken.

The Kings are enough below the cap (1.5M) to bring up a Mersch or Schultz if they need to without hitting the cap. Is there an actual difference though because of the upper limit extension? For example, if lets say, Mersch gets called up. If Greene/King were on LTIR, does Mersch's salary count towards the upper limit extension, meaning the Kings can no longer bank cap for later?

They have no need to bring someone up now, but maybe it has something to do with what would occur if they had to if the Kings lost a couple more guys to short-term injuries? Does anyone have Solomon's phone number? :)

It shouldn't affect the amount of cap space banked. Even on LTIR or IR the salary does not disappear and you still need to hit the cap (including the replacement players) before you can start to use the upper limit exception.

Player rights (drafting, RFA, UFA, etc) is more my area of expertise but if I'm reading this correctly I THINK it might more beneficial to use this when the Kings are closer to the cap. As Fishhead says if the Kings have a run of IR type injuries they may need to use the LTIR exception. And if I'm reading the CBA correctly I think that is set (the overage) when the player goes to LTIR. So putting Greene on LTIR now might not grant any upper limit relief since Kings are under cap. But if they wait till they call up enough guys to get right up against the cap (and over) then they will be able to make use of the upper limit exception as I think it might only take effect when placed on LTIR (and then you only gain as much room as you use for the replacement player). If that makes sense. It's the way the examples in CBA read to me (as they only deal with LTIR when used to go over cap).

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Appreciate what he contributed, but come on Johnny he is at best a fringe NHL'er. Guy just can't keep up anymore.

Do you expect every player to be Wayne Gretzky? Or does someone who will take a puck to the face, intentionally, play a big role?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad