Injury Report: Matt Greene to undergo shoulder surgery- out indefintely

• Thread starter Captain Mittens*
  • Start date

scryan

May 1, 2013
Been wondering what was up with that guy... Remember when he first went out it was written off as kind of a maintenance thing.... Then he just States gone, and no one talked too much.
Was beginning to wonder if we would ever see him on the bench again, or if he would be another quite ltir retirement... Sound like he may be able to be back at some point though?

Soooo..... Extra roster spot, with a 7th D already in position... Try out Mersch?

Riposte!

Jan 25, 2006
Seattle
That must be super frustrating for him. And tough. That said, the D has been really balanced and has a quick transition game with Ehrhoff and McBain on the third pair. McBain's passes are always lasered tape to tape.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
They've played without Greene for the whole season so one positive is that it won't feel like they're missing a player from the lineup. McNabb has to fill in for Greene, and by fill in I don't mean to suggest that he should take stupid penalties.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Sucks for Greene.

Wonder if he will be able to come back from this eventually.

Said it at the time, should have signed Mitchell over Greene.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I believe Greene went and got a second opinion. He went to another doctor this week I believe.

Probably wanted to see if it would just heal on it's own. It didn't.

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
loved his game during the first cup run, play has gotten worse each year, I think time for him to pack it up, pay him the 2.5M and let him sit on LTIR

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I think it's time Greene started thinking about retiring. Greene will be 33 years of age this coming May. The game is already passed him up speed wise.

Greene would probably make a really good coach sometime down the line.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Sucks for Greene.

Wonder if he will be able to come back from this eventually.

Said it at the time, should have signed Mitchell over Greene.

At $4.25 million for 2 years? Yeah, if Richards gets bought out when they could still do it with no cap hit, it's all great. That clearly wasn't going to happen at the time though.

Part of trading for McNabb was that Lombardi knew Mitchell was going to be leaving for one reason or another. Same way he traded for and then re-signed Regehr knowing Scuderi wanted to go closer to home. Plus Voynov was still here. Martinez and Muzzin needed new deals, and they're both a decade younger than Mitchell. Not to mention Regehr still had a year to play.

Greene was re-signed for three reasons. Relatively cheap, right handed, and a huge leader in the room. If you've got Doughty, Muzzin, Voynov, Martinez, Regehr, Greene, and McNabb as the 7 defenseman, how does Mitchell fit in? Economically. Team-wise, obviously Mitchell seems to be the perfect teammate.

Ron*

I think it's time Greene started thinking about retiring. Greene will be 33 years of age this coming May. The game is already passed him up speed wise.

That ain't happening. If a player retires, he doesn't get to collect any salary on his remaining contract. Last I checked, he has two more years besides this season still to go. He's not foregoing on that serious coin, no way.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

Feels wrong to say this, but Greene retiring might actually help the Kings. They're clearly not missing him on the ice.

Captain Mittens*

That ain't happening. If a player retires, he doesn't get to collect any salary on his remaining contract. Last I checked, he has two more years besides this season still to go. He's not foregoing on that serious coin, no way.
He can just Pronger it up. He should claim carpal tunnel next

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Feel bad for the guy. Has to be frustrating for such a warrior to have an injury you can't just play through, but maybe this will be good for his body in the long run. I just hope he gets shut down for the season and doesn't try to rush back at the end a la 2013, that was awful.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Just LTIR him and get the salary off the cap. Solomon is probably four steps ahead of us on this one.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
At $4.25 million for 2 years? Yeah, if Richards gets bought out when they could still do it with no cap hit, it's all great. That clearly wasn't going to happen at the time though.

Part of trading for McNabb was that Lombardi knew Mitchell was going to be leaving for one reason or another. Same way he traded for and then re-signed Regehr knowing Scuderi wanted to go closer to home. Plus Voynov was still here. Martinez and Muzzin needed new deals, and they're both a decade younger than Mitchell. Not to mention Regehr still had a year to play.

Greene was re-signed for three reasons. Relatively cheap, right handed, and a huge leader in the room. If you've got Doughty, Muzzin, Voynov, Martinez, Regehr, Greene, and McNabb as the 7 defenseman, how does Mitchell fit in? Economically. Team-wise, obviously Mitchell seems to be the perfect teammate.

I bet Mitchell would have stayed for less. I think he took more because it's Florida. Mitchell was and is the better player. Greene was chosen for his off ice contribution imho. Money doesn't hurt Greene's cause for sure.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Greene's a warrior and was a valuable contributor to the team during those cup runs (especially the first one), but he should not have been re-signed

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Yeah there is no way a player could retire on LTIR and still get paid by the team and get another job in the NHL and get paid for that as well.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

I know this has been said by many but I just don't buy it. You can bet any court would almost certainly rule for someone under contract suffering an injury that retiring doesn't preclude payment for the remainder of the contract. In the other case he's just staying because he's over 35 and the team would have to eat the salary.
I could be wrong but like I said I don't see or buy it.
A Player under an SPC who is disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey
Player by reason of an injury sustained during the course of his employment as a hockey Player,
including travel with his team or on business requested by his Club, shall be entitled to receive
his remaining Paragraph 1 Salary and Signing Bonuses due in accordance with the terms of his
SPC for the remaining stated term of his SPC as long as the said disability and inability to
perform continue but in no event beyond the expiration date of the fixed term of his SPC.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00