Waived: Matt Fraser (claimed by the Oilers)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I miss the days when a prospect/kid had to earn and show they can play the NHL game rather than hearing the "he didn`t get a fair shake" kind of stuff

Fraser showed the odd glimpse, I predict not going to be much more than a Pouliot kind of player, pop some goals but still making you feel he could do so much more

Man, Marchand earned his spot playing minimal minutes as a 4th liner

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Fraser imo was a tweener.

Unless his skating improves he isn't going to be all that successful in the NHL.

I'm curious how the Oilers think they needed him.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I miss the days when a prospect/kid had to earn and show they can play the NHL game rather than hearing the "he didn`t get a fair shake" kind of stuff

Fraser showed the odd glimpse, I predict not going to be much more than a Pouliot kind of player, pop some goals but still making you feel he could do so much more

Man, Marchand earned his spot playing minimal minutes as a 4th liner

Yah, he busted his behind before getting moved up. They did give him plenty of time before he finally started scoring. I remember a lot of people on this board complaining about him that he was a bust. I had seen him in Providence many times and knew if they were just patient, he would show them. Glad they did give him the time.

Sometimes young players need extra time to acclimate. I do agree, they should come in and work their way up to the first line if they can. Old school. I don't think Clode or a lot of fans have the patience to just put the kids on the forth line and leave them there to acclimate to the system and their line mates. That where Clode gets a big F.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Yah, he busted his behind before getting moved up. They did give him plenty of time before he finally started scoring. I remember a lot of people on this board complaining about him that he was a bust. I had seen him in Providence many times and knew if they were just patient, he would show them. Glad they did give him the time.

Sometimes young players need extra time to acclimate. I do agree, they should come in and work their way up to the first line if they can. Old school. I don't think Clode or a lot of fans have the patience to just put the kids on the forth line and leave them there to acclimate to the system and their line mates. That where Clode gets a big F.

No, Claude expects them to do what he tells them to. If they are on the fourth line, they have to be physical, forecheck, and be defensively responsible. Marchand did that. Lucic did that. That's why Claude was happy with Marchand on the fourth and Lucic on the fourth/third, until they played their way onto the higher lines. Marchand and Lucic made it impossible for Claude to cut them, Spooner did not.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Unless his skating improves he isn't going to be all that successful in the NHL.

Fraser has a lot of things going for him that the Oilers need.

Good size. Strong on the walls. Great shot. Tenacious.
He's from the area, so he may stick around after his contract expires.

I understand their interest. If he can't succeed on that team, he likely won't anywhere. But I think there's a chance they get something out of him.

Bruinfan5470

Feb 3, 2014
Los Angeles, CA

Edmonton Oilers coach Todd Nelson is familiar with Matt Fraser's work in the minors.
"He's a guy who can shoot the puck," said Nelson of Fraser. "He scored his fair share of goals against us so I've seen him up close. He's a hard working guy who can find the back of the net." That was certainly true in the AHL, but Fraser got very little playing time with the Boston Bruins and consequently hasn't had much of an impact in the NHL. The Oilers claimed him off of waivers and it will be interesting to see if Nelson gives him the opportunity to play on a scoring line.
Source: Edmonton Sun
Dec 30 - 10:21 AM

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No, Claude expects them to do what he tells them to. If they are on the fourth line, they have to be physical, forecheck, and be defensively responsible. Marchand did that. Lucic did that. That's why Claude was happy with Marchand on the fourth and Lucic on the fourth/third, until they played their way onto the higher lines. Marchand and Lucic made it impossible for Claude to cut them, Spooner did not.

Spooner scored a goal in the preseason against Montreal. He also won almost 70% of the face offs he took, and tallied 5 shots on goal to lead the team that night, plus he blocked a shot. What do you think Julien said about him after the game? That he missed a defensive assignment that lead to the Habs getting a chance going the other way. Not a goal. Not a shot on net, but a chance. Does that seem reasonable to you? Does it sound like he's giving the guy a fair shot if that was his takeaway from the game Spooner had that night? I watched that game, and Spooner look tremendous that evening, yet when I heard what Julien had to say after, I knew he was not long for this roster.

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
That sounds like revisionist history to me...

Spooner, on the other hand, was on the ice for Montreal’s game-winning goal and a handful of other opportunities. Defensive awareness is not a pillar of Spooner’s NHL game.

“It’s OK and it’s exciting to see a guy be great offensively. We love his game offensively,†said Bruins coach Claude Julien. “At the same time, you can score one goal. But if you give up two, you’re not helping your team. We need commitment from that part of his game. He said he’s going to work hard at it. But it’s a good start for him. The goal he scored was one we’ve asked him to do — take pucks to the net. That’s a step in the right direction for him.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/09/23/ryan-spooner-defensive-lapses-overshadow-offensive-touch/6CYv75GmU7CmxJ8SStpD3H/story.html

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Can see Fraser succeeding in Edmonton. Why not? They're not like Boston with win NOW NOW NOW

Maybe he will be given time to develop more.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Still don't understand the move if the Bruins had no other trades to make. They could have easily sent down another player and still kept him. Chia didn't gamble correctly on that one.
How does Matt Fraser get claimed and Magnus Paajarvi doesn't?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

This is how I imagine this. Not word for word obviously, but something along these lines:

Both the Bruins and Oilers have made it public they're looking to make deals. They talk to each other and Matt Fraser comes up. Chia asks: so what do you think of Matt Fraser? His skillset seems to fit what your NHL lineup seems to need. And MacT responds: Tough to say exactly. He's never in the frame whenever I watch your team on the telly.

Trades have come about with difficulty for the Bruins since the Boychuk deal. So Chiarelli offers: How about this? We'll waive Fraser. Pick him up (you're first on the list). Pop him into the lineup for a couple of weeks. We'll look at Pastrnak after the WJCs. If he fits, then we'll consider the wheels greased on a bigger deal between us. If not and Darryl is cool with it, you can always send him back to the AHL and he can help your affiliate club. No assets divvied. No harm. No foul.

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
Can I ask why you are quoting an article from the pre-season about Ryan Spooner in the Matt Fraser thread? :dunno:

Sorry, I guess I should have quoted LSCII...I think he is mis-remembering the comments the coach made about young Ryan Spooner.

I posted the link so he could refresh his memory...

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
With a shot like Fraser's, his size, and the effort he typically gives out on the ice, i can't say i would be that surprised if Fraser ended up carving a niche in the NHL and sticking around the big leagues for several years anyhow. He can't be counted out just yet.

That being said, i do think the Bruins ended the experiment at the perfect time. I was hopeful but he just could not get that shot off enough to warrant a spot in this lineup. There's no point keeping an AHL star who will eat up minutes that could go to better prospects.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Thank you for providing some facts. Needless to say the Julien bashers have used the passed time to revise his actual message. No surprise there.

The one area I wish Claude had used Fraser is on the power play. With this triangle approach in vogue Fraser could have been a weapon out high in the seem. He has a great shot that is equally quick and hard. The potential to be impactful like Krug on the back end existed.

Always played hard in Boston came across as knowing how blessed he was to play in the league.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
With a shot like Fraser's, his size, and the effort he typically gives out on the ice, i can't say i would be that surprised if Fraser ended up carving a niche in the NHL and sticking around the big leagues for several years anyhow. He can't be counted out just yet.

That being said, i do think the Bruins ended the experiment at the perfect time. I was hopeful but he just could not get that shot off enough to warrant a spot in this lineup. There's no point keeping an AHL star who will eat up minutes that could go to better prospects.

I will be surprised if this happens.

Fraser seems like a good kid, works hard, but other than the shot, he doesn't have NHL speed, isn't a natural hitter, and doesn't create his own offense. IMO, he was doomed to fail with Clode using him on the 4th line because that's not his thing. I think the only way he would have succeeded here was with a center to tee it up for him. I really would have liked to see him get more time on the LW with Carl and Loui.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad